User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2002 6:40:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 6:58:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm

Two years ago a Canadian Medal winning female Biathlon shooter was killed while jogging in Quebec at our Biathlon training centre.........

Pretty basic....

Live bear..

Dead girl..

Link Posted: 6/1/2002 7:02:54 PM EDT
[#3]
They're thick up here, and every year you hear about people who came home to find one in their house, just tearing the place up. They do get bold, but mainly because people train them to expect food around houses (garbage bags and cans, bird feeders, pets, etc.) As said earlier, they're rarely a danger to people because they'll avoid contact if they possibly can. But I'd definitely recommend having a gun along "just in case." You'll more likely end up using it on a 2-legged rat than a bear.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Black bear attacks are pretty rare but they do happen. I remember one we had here in MN up in the BWCA about 10 years ago. The bear attacked a kid, kid got away and ran out into the water. The bear went in after him but some friends managed to drive it away by hitting it with canoe paddles. It was a small, underweight, probably hungry bear.

I've read that if you are attacked by griz play dead, if it's a blackie you better fight for your life because it's planning on eating you.

I did face one down with a frying pan once up in Voyageurs National Park. Wasn't going to let it tear up camp. It stood up about 25' away, bout crapped my pants. Better to be armed.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Whil backpacking on the Appalacian Trail about 3 years ago in North Carolina, we had black bear come into our camp twice during the night , looking for food.  We had hung the food in a tree, overhanging a gorge, but should have moved it about twice as far away from camp.  Unfortunately, all we had were pocket knives to defend ourselves with and I wished that I had packed my pistol instead.  The bottom line is, be careful in bear county and be prepared for such an encounter.  The bear(s) left without incident, but seeing the silhoette of the animal on the side of our pack tent left a stain in my shorts!
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#6]
christ Klink do you live in downtown Bellevue?
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Black Bears are more of a nuisence than anything, but they can become a serious threat. If going into an area with Black Bears carry a 44 Mag or a 45 Colt in the Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk, they are inexpensive and light and either will tip a Black Bear over in a New York second. Have a nice trip.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 8:44:21 PM EDT
[#8]
*** ALERT *** ALERT *** ALERT ***

In the light of the rising frequency of human - grizzly bear conflicts, the Arizona Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert of bears while in the field.

We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren't expecting them.

We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear.

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity.

Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear droppings.

Black bear droppings are smaller and contain  lots of berries and squirrel fur.

Grizzly bear droppings smell like pepper and have little bells in it.

An oldie but a funnie.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 9:18:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Damn, we must be slipping - it took nearly two hours for the bells in the scat joke.
[:D]
View Quote

Yeah, I was waiting for it but no one bit.

Must be the BRC.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#11]
i just posted something i read about bears in the "Interesting gun thread over here:  " thread page 2.  thought it was interesting.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Black bears are really not a threat if you are careful around them. It the recorded history of the Southeast US no record of anyone being killed by a black bear existed. That was until 2 years ago when a woman was killed in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and some people have doubts about that death. Bears are pretty plentifully in East Tennessee and Western North Carolina and there is rarely a problem.  In Canada they seem to a few deaths but I suspect those bears are not as people shy as our bears.

And the Canadian bears know that the chances of most Canadians being armed are smaller than in the US.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#13]
That's the ticket:  Keep close control of your waste and animal food.

I work in remote Alaska, and I have yet to see a real problem bear that was not conditioned to associate food with human garbage.

They are curious - One of them circled the cookshack at one mine for a week, staying within a 1/4 mile until the food odors made even it sick.

I was walking in camp last year and saw one looking at me 20-30' away hiding behind a tree.  Brought my Casull to work next time.

They sometimes walk through camp just to check it out, and we speed them on their way with a bird bomb round from a 12 gage.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top