Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2002 6:12:33 PM EDT
Hot DAMN! I like technology. I'm sitting here on the couch with my laptop typing this with a cold brew and NO cables hooking me up to the internet.

With the cable modem its blazingly fast.

Even the WIFE was impressed!

lol.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Id like to do the same thing but what about security cant people use the wireless network signal to.....whatever ??? Right now my wife has her work desktop on cart and moves it back into the office at night when the baby goes to sleep and has to move a network cable with it -primarilly cause I'm to lazy to run a cat5 outlet out there but wireless would be the way to go then she could use it just about anywhere in the house.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I wired my house (EVERY room) for a LAN. They all interconnect to one face in a cubboard in my office, which connects to my router, which connects to my cable modem.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I wired my house (EVERY room) for a LAN. They all interconnect to one face in a cubboard in my office, which connects to my router, which connects to my cable modem.
View Quote

Well, I would expect a ComputerGuy to do that [;)]
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 7:36:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#5]
At 40 bit WEP with a very busy AccessPoint it takes about 3 Hrs to get a good enough sample to crack.
At 128 bit with same settings it takes roughly 3-4 weeks to get a usable sample.

I know because I have done it.(I'm a Net Admin in charge of security)

The Lucent Orinoco cards have a update that randomizes the Identifier so it makes cracking much harder.

So the best thing to do is run a VPN inside the WEP. If they bust the WEP who cares they still need to get past the VPN.

And Wardriving it a hoot. Not that I have done it but im told it is.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top