Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2002 3:53:27 PM EDT
So I am shopping for a gun safe today, and a salesman tells me that he knows a guy (my spidy-sense tingles) who had his safe stolen right out of his house.  Seems as though they slid it out with dawn soap. I think maybe he was trying to talk me into getting the heaviest (and the most expensive) safe. Has anyone ever heard of whole safes being stolen?  Does anyone think bolting down a safe is required? BTW, I'm thinking of buying a Liberty, franklin model.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have the safe in an area where it could be dollied off I would bolt it down. If you leave town for a week on vacation a burglar could take his time moving your safe. But even the low-end safes when loaded with guns and other stuff are very heavy and take several people with a dolly to move.

The base Liberty model is fine unless you want a better finish, I have one of the upper range Liberty safes. I do know of one instance where a guy had his safe in the garage not bolted down, the garage was broken into and they attached chains to the safe and dragged it off with a truck. It was one of the top of the line heavy models by the way.

These safes are not meant to stop professional safe crackers but burglars. Fire protections and getting enought room to grow is more important than getting a top of the line “heavy” safe. You have a typical salesman trying to sale you something you do not need. If you want heavy you can always put lead in the safe.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 5:19:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
... Has anyone ever heard of whole safes being stolen? ...
View Quote

Absolutely.  That way they can break into it at their leisure; make as much noise as they want getting it open, etc.

Even heavy safes should be bolted down if at all possible.

OBTW – Liberty makes a pretty good safe.

And the standard admonition here is that gun safes shrink, so get the biggest one you can.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top