Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2002 5:05:38 PM EDT
Police in Farmington, NM found 32 pounds of C4 in a guys shed! Also the usual "arsenal" of weapons, etc. I use to live there. Big oil and gas drilling location. I don't know if they use C4 or not in oil and gas production. I think the article says it dated to the 60's. The guy said he had been stockpiling for Y2K.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Does it say why they [the police] were there in the first place?
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Someone tipped the police off and they went to check it out.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I take that back, they were there on a domestic disturbance and asked if they could look around and the guy said to help themselves.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#5]
What's a little C4 between friends?
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#6]
An aquaintance that spent 10 years in club fed for drugs and explosives possesion once told me.  
"possession of C4 ain't so bad.
Its the blasting caps (detonators)that they really fry your ass on."

weather or not this is true i have no idea  
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#7]
damn so thats where my c4 went

j/k
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 8:18:25 PM EDT
[#8]
[b]I don't know if they use C4 or not in oil and gas production.[/b]

it wouldn't suprise me those guys use just about every explosive there is depending on the situation.
On a side note I found out the borax miners use a liquid ammonium  nitrate concoction called amfo{sp?} similar to what Mc vey used.

O and cryax, that was my C-4. I use it to keep my prostitution and narcotics operations running smoothly [):)]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:59:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't know if they use C4 or not in oil and gas production.
View Quote

Yep, they sure do.  They mold it into shaped charges and perforate the well walls with it, to let the oil flow into the shaft.

They also sometimes blast flowing wells to increase production, this is called "fracking".  

When I was last in an oilfield, they were blasting a frozen gravel pit with huge charges of ANFO to break it up.  It was five miles away, but it felt like someone dropping a D12 Cat from a 100 feet height a few feet away from you.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 12:25:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I do know that the use of high explosive in the oilfield is an everyday occurance, although I'm not sure what types are actually used in the shaped charges.  I do know that det cord and blasting caps are used in the process.  Schlumbergers or Haliburtons websites might have some info on it. I do know that Haliburton is one of the few companies that actually design and procuce the charges.  I have actually seen a perforating gun go off above ground(on vidio) and it was scary what it did to the dummies they had placed around it.  Hope I never see one go off on location.  The fracing that I have been involved in didn't use any explosives, but I wouldn't doubt that they use explosives to do something similar.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 12:52:50 AM EDT
[#11]
i would say the "main" charge is what they will get your ass on. A professor of engineering where i used to attend college (in TN) said he used to buy caps over the counter to make explosive bolts for vibration experiments.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 1:12:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:26:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Shelf life: At least 10 years under good conditions
View Quote

10-plus year shelf life under "Good conditions"...and this guy purportedly had stuff dating back to the 60's, in a shed, outside?

It would probably still go boom, but not nearly as boom-like as it would if it were "fresh", non?

Not that I'd mind a few pounds of C4 myself [;)] Very few personal problems can't be solved by an appropriate application of plastique [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top