Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2011 12:11:37 PM EDT
link

"PRINCETON, NJ –– Americans believe that the U.S. Army and Marines are the most important to national defense, followed by the Air Force and Navy. This differs from the years prior to the start of the Iraq war, when Americans named the Air Force as the most important branch of the armed forces"

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Meh, our air superiority is still the most vital component. You can fight in the air without control of the ground but fighting on the ground without control of the air is a death sentence.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Meh, our air superiority is still the most vital component. You can fight in the air without control of the ground but fighting on the ground without control of the air is a death sentence.

party pooper
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Like the Jarheads aren't stuck up enough, already. Now they've come in 2nd place in a national popularity contest.

They'll be blabbering about this for 100 years.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

VMFA FTMFW!
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#5]
93% of all polls are BS.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 12:19:43 PM EDT
[#6]
No surprise that Americans are getting more ignorant.

Air and Naval dominance are why we get stuck sending the Army and Marines into the places air and naval weapons are less effective.  We are so dominant in those areas, no one bothers to challenge it.  Peace through superior firepower, it's not just a T-shirt.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 12:21:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Like the Jarheads aren't stuck up enough, already. Now they've come in 2nd place in a national popularity contest.

No way man you don't understand how Marine PR operates.  They will use their kick ass PR machine to invalidate that pole and create a new pole where the Marines are the only important force.

I am really suprised that the Marines PR machine has not taken credit for the D-Day landings on Normandy.

Marines they have a hell of a PR machine.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 12:21:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Without the USN, everyone else would be a heavily armed regional defense force with a few ICBMs and long-range bombers.

Kind of a silly poll really. Any serious military thinker understands that the branches have to work together for true effectiveness.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 12:25:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I agree.  Once your ass has been saved by a A-10 in the middle of bumfuck Afghanistan, you realize the importance of them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No way man you don't understand how Marine PR operates.  They will use their kick ass PR machine to invalidate that pole and create a new pole where the Marines are the only important force.

I am really suprised that the Marines PR machine has not taken credit for the D-Day landings on Normandy.

It's that damn song. And the purty Class A uniform.

Now, the Air Force has a good song, too. It would sound a lot better if George Jones sang it, but, you know. Let's face it: the Army has the worst song. I freely admit it. And I've never liked the Army's Class A duds. They should go back to the old "pinks and greens." That was what a dress uniform should look like!
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
93% of all polls are BS.

60% of the time.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 12:29:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well, the Marine Corps did develope America's amphibious warfare doctrine.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 12:30:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why are you talking about "poles"? Something you'd like share?

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's that damn song. And the purty Class A uniform.

Now, the Air Force has a good song, too. It would sound a lot better if George Jones sang it, but, you know. Let's face it: the Army has the worst song. I freely admit it. And I've never liked the Army's Class A duds. They should go back to the old "pinks and greens." That was what a dress uniform should look like!
I loved the dress blues they look sharp as all get out.  I thought the Army was going to dress blues only?

I agree I thought the Army song was a little weak too.  It sounds to goofy they need to change it to something a little more badass.  The whole time I was memorizing it to go before the board I thought damn this song is weak as hell.  The CSM made me sing the damn thing during my board and I felt like a tool singing it.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Semper Fi bitches!
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I just made up a Jarhead joke:

Q: Why did the Jarhead cross the road?

A: I don't know and neither does he.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 12:37:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Why are you talking about "poles"? Something you'd like share?  
Auto correct on my PS3 while I am studying for a test while making dinner for my son.  Sorry I am doing to many things at once.  God I hope my PS3 doesn't think I am gay and is trying to get me out of the closet.  My wife would be really disappointed.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#18]
US is a maritime nation.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Also the big threat on the national stage is no longer Ivan and soviets sending missiles and bombers to nuke us back to the stone age. It's Johnnie jihad and his land based threats.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just made up a Jarhead joke:

Q: Why did the Jarhead cross the road?

A: I don't know and neither does he.

Somebody needed killin' and some shit needed blowed up or the DI said to.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having dated PAOs from both the Army and the Marines all I can say is the Marines have better PAOs; interestingly the Marine Corps approach is to just give reporters more access and not try to control the narrative and they have less PA personnel per capita than the other services.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Kind of a silly poll really. Any serious military thinker understands that the branches have to work together for true effectiveness.

+1

Americans take for granted our ability to conduct joint (inter-service) operations.  In many nations, the different branches of their militaries might as well be like foreign countries to one another.  There is little communication and cross-training.  US joint operations may be clunky and inefficient at times, but we are FAR better at it than any of our potential rivals.  Since WWII, our military success is dependent on full spectrum dominance.  We need the naval power (Navy) for sea dominance to establish the ability to project power onto foreign shores, we need air power (Air Force/Navy/Marine aviation) to establish air superiority/supremacy so that we can project power over the land, and we need ground power (Army/Marines) to put boots on the ground so as to effectively control territory and effectuate political change.  Some of that is redundant, but redundancy is useful in war.

As an aside, the Coast Guard is important because they free up a lot of duties that the Navy would otherwise have to fulfill close to our shores.  In recent years, we've even seen the Coast Guard perform some of those duties in foriegn waters (martime security, law enforcement, counterterrorism, etc.).

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#23]
For COIN, definitely.

For "national defense" on the broadest level–– I'm inclined to disagree.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You can fight in the air all you want but without boots on the ground you don't own that territory. You need both or you will not achieve victory.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 4:28:29 PM EDT
[#25]
OOOH GOD! MY EGO JUST CAME!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top