Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2011 6:44:36 PM EDT
I'm going to Costa Rica in two weeks and would appreciate any input from those that have been there.  I wont be going all over the country, just the Jaco area, so if you have been there and have any advice on cool things to do or places to booze let me know.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Went last spring

Didn't make it to Jaco, but got close

Definately haggle on prices, including food, be ready for the heat!

After seeing the cattle in the country, I didn't eat any beef, stick to chicken or fish

Have an Imperial for me, but don't forget to try a Bavarian while you're there (beers)
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Jaco beach is very nice.  Stay on the main drag after dark
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Find a woman there and marry her. Worked for me. 10 years and still going  :)
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 7:04:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Don't think my fiancee would like that very much.   She isn't coming along though so......
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm going to Costa Rica in two weeks and would appreciate any input from those that have been there.  I wont be going all over the country, just the Jaco area, so if you have been there and have any advice on cool things to do or places to booze let me know.  

Thanks

My buddy Butch has a nightclub and a limo service in Jacó, called Las-Vegas Limo Jacó-Beach Costa-Rica. He is also the Captain of a Sporting Yacht.

Las-Vegas Limo Jacó-Beach Costa-Rica has a Facebook page.

If you look him up he will take care of you.

Hope this helps.

ETA: Tell him his buddy Joe from Las Vegas, told you to look him up.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 7:06:13 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are on the Economy (out of the resort area) don't drink the water, remember ice comes from water, if the waiter brings you a coke in the bottle and it has all ready been opened ask for another unopened one, don't accept any cigarettes from locals, beware of under cooked meats, cheeses and local milk. I was in Puerto Limon in 2001 for a two week TDY I've never been there on vacation.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I went there a couple of years ago.

High points:

Probably the most beautiful women in the world.  
Beautiful scenery
Friendly people, for the most part
The women are gorgeous
Most everyone speaks English, but they appreciate it if you make the effort to speak some Spanish
Great seafood
Did I mention the women?

Low points:

Everyone drives like an idiot
The beef tastes like shoe leather but tougher
During the rainy season it rains every day
I don't think there's a street sign anywhere in the entire country
Prices are high for a Latin American country
Their beer sucks
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the advice guys.  

I'll try and take some pics of the local women to for all the pervs on here.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#9]
The current 0% currency exchange rate is 501.60Costa Rican Colon to 1.00 US Dollar. When I was there in 2001 the exchange rate was C315.00 to $1.00.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I went there a couple of years ago.

High points:

Probably the most beautiful women in the world.  
Beautiful scenery
Friendly people, for the most part
The women are gorgeous
Most everyone speaks English, but they appreciate it if you make the effort to speak some Spanish
Great seafood
Did I mention the women?

Low points:

Everyone drives like an idiot
The beef tastes like shoe leather but tougher
During the rainy season it rains every day
I don't think there's a street sign anywhere in the entire country
Prices are high for a Latin American country
Their beer sucks

I would have to disagree on their women. My rankings on Central American Women are as follow: 1. El Salvadorian, 2. Guatemalan, 3. Nicaraguan, 4. Panamanian, 5. Belizian, 6. Costa Rican, and 7. Honduran.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#11]
All the restaurants in Jaco are pretty good. The Bohio Beach Bar has excellent fish tacos. You will not go without a good place to eat. PS they have a Subway if you wanna go cheap for a lunch or something, and save for a good meal for supper.

If you go during the rainy season, it will start raining at 3 in the afternoon and not stop for hours almost every night.

There is a very active night life, so if you want to go clubbing, there are 2 or 3 good clubs IIRC.

Visit the Manuel Antonia National Park, but do it with a guide. It's about an hour away from Jaco, and you can probably book it through your hotel clerk. There are also volcano and hot spring tours, I regret not going on the volcano tour.

Take the canopy zip lining tour. It's friggin fun. Very safe, and the views are great. There will be 2 to choose from, pick the one with 13 lines. Be advised, it's kind of a long walk after they bring you up the almost washed out road on an ATV.

There are lots of fishing charters. Didn't go on any, but they looked like fun.

The beach is beautiful, however they have a sign that warns for fecal coliform running out of the river that bisects the beach.

On that note, you can rent ATVs and dirt bikes and ride them around just like regular vehicles. People drive like nutcases, so watch out.

Be sure to watch over your shit like a hawk. Petty theft is pretty common, so watch your wallets and purses. Also, make a copy of your passport, and the entry stamp to CR. The cops will hassle you over this shit, so make sure you do it. Keep your passport in the room safe. Prostitutes and drug dealers come out at night too.

Any more questions, feel free to IM. I had a great time last year, and would definitely go there again.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#12]
It's currently rainy season right now...be advised on road conditions.

Go to Manuel Antonio as suggested...be cautious of the crocodiles.  We saw one right off the public beach.  The locals do NOT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE...driving laws are nothing more than a suggestion!  Try to do an ATV tour...we had a blast.  The seafood is very fresh with lots of great fruits.  You can eat like a king for a few dollars a day.  Locals are also very friendly, but we weary when you are in the large cities.  Make sure to try their cigars (Cubans are plentiful there.)

We stayed on the Pacific side of the country during our stay.  We want to head back in December...fell in love with the place.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Why go to Costa Rica when you can go to Colombia?

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I stayed at the Marriott Los Suenos resort nearby.  It was pretty cool but pricey.  we had the hotel book several tours - zip lines, catamaran cruise, and more, went to Jaco, San Antonio NP,

I got a ticket driving over there - they basically took my cash to let me go, so drive the speed limit
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I would have to disagree on their women. My rankings on Central American Women are as follow: 1. El Salvadorian, 2. Guatemalan, 3. Nicaraguan, 4. Panamanian, 5. Belizian, 6. Costa Rican, and 7. Honduran.

Well, Costa Rica is the only Central American country I've been to, so I'll have to take your word for it.  I just know when I went there for work they were all tan, fit, and beautiful.  But you know what's funny?  When I used to work with some Ticos they told me how much hotter American women were.  Other side of the fence, and all that.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 7:50:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Because my work is sending me and I'm flying and staying for free.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because my work is sending me and I'm flying and staying for free.

That's more money for Butch to show you a good time!

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:13:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, Costa Rica is the only Central American country I've been to, so I'll have to take your word for it.  I just know when I went there for work they were all tan, fit, and beautiful.  But you know what's funny?  When I used to work with some Ticos they told me how much hotter American women were.  Other side of the fence, and all that.

Don't get me wrong. That was just my rankings for Central America not to be mistaken for an inclusive world ranking.  I was in theater for a year so I got around. If you want I could expand to Area of Operation and add 1. Puerto Rican 2. El Salvadorian 3. Guatemalan 4. Nicaraguan 5. Panamanian 6. Belizian 7.Costa Rican 8. Honduran 9. Dominican.

Central American men aren't that nice to their women either. I watched many times as host nation men treated street dogs better than there girlfriend/wife/date.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:19:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks

Jaco is a good place for a home base but I definitely wouldn't spend much time there.  Good places to eat and pick up chicks (Beetle Bar, Monkey Bar, etc).  Go south of Jaco and you'll run into a black-sand strip of beach called Hermosa.  If you're planning to surf at all, this is where you wanna be.  This spot gets big and heavy so if you've never surfed before, probably not the safest place to paddle out.  There's tons of peaks up and down the beach here, big barrels, rights and lefts.  Also a lot of good places to stay and a few good places to eat.  Good friendly vibe here.  I also did a canopy tour when I went last but other than that, all I did was surf.  If you go north of Jaco, there's a big resort called Los Suenos and a good sized marina, golfcourse, etc.  Super expensive though.

CR is super Americanized so most locals speak Spanglish.  Watch out for your valuables and don't be a complete idiot tourist and you'll have a great time.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:31:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Go get surfing lessons if you have never been, OP, its supposed to be good down there at Jaco...
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:32:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Go get surfing lessons if you have never been, OP, its supposed to be good down there at Jaco...

Actually, Jaco sucks for waves; go south to Hermosa.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:02:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the tips, I've tried surfing before and I was horrible at it.      

Think I'll stick to eating fish tacos and drinking beer.  I'll try and get some good pics of the Central American trim for you guys so you can rank them.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:09:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, Jaco sucks for waves; go south to Hermosa.

Even crumbly whitewater stuff for beginners?   Doubt he's gonna hit tubes
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thanks for the tips, I've tried surfing before and I was horrible at it.      

Think I'll stick to eating fish tacos and drinking beer.  I'll try and get some good pics of the Central American trim for you guys so you can rank them.

Did you try it on your own or with some instructor help?  I found the hardest part is reading the waves and timing, all that jazz...but instructors routinely swim out there and push you at the right time, you will be riding it in no time then!  It's not "real" surfing, but you get the riding the wave sensation...anyway, it something I thought sounded cool to do for <$100 and an afternoon or morning...

Either way, I'm no good at it, but have really enjoyed the times I have got up and ridden waves, its a blast!
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:19:48 AM EDT
[#26]
I tried it with some friends, no instructor, and trying to catch the fucking wave and stand up was frustrating.  I'm a tall mofo as well, so I think that didn't help me when trying to stand up quickly.  

If I have time I might try a lesson, but I'm more of a drink beer and chill kind of guy.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:29:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Mrs. Whiteshark is Costa Rican, though we met here in FL. Been together over 5 years and married for over 2, and she's an excellent wife indeed. We are going to CR in the fall, it will be my first time there. Good to have her and her family as tour guides.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 10:17:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I tried it with some friends, no instructor, and trying to catch the fucking wave and stand up was frustrating.  I'm a tall mofo as well, so I think that didn't help me when trying to stand up quickly.  

If I have time I might try a lesson, but I'm more of a drink beer and chill kind of guy.  

For sure, its whatever you dig, I am more of an activities guy at the beach, so I gravitate that way...I bet you will catch the first or second wave if they push you and you get a nice big 10 foot fun board...

When I first tried it in Kauai, nice small waves, but ridable––easy for beginners, I got up second try and probably the next 10 times, save one, lesson was over, but I could go out and do some myself if I wanted to––damn was that tough...didn't get up once after the instructor went away, even though I was just instructed how to do it correctly and practiced it.  So your story is normal, don't think that you can't do it because of that...either way, will be a nice time for you, from what I hear that is a cool place to vacation.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 10:43:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Went there on my honeymoon back several years ago.  Be careful sitting at windows near the street at restuarants ... people can and will try to take stuff (cameras, cell phones, etc.) sitting on the table.  Also, in San Jose, if a street band comes up and asks to play for you, just tell them no.  We said yes, and they followed us around all night long and would not go away.  

Otherwise, great place to visit.  Go to Quepos (Manual Antonio) and hike in the jungles.  Be on the lookout for sloths and monkeys.  Yes, they are there.  We saw some every day we were there.  At one point, I thought I was going to get to punt a monkey who was blocking the path and becoming hostile due to earlier hikers feeding the group.  Expect rain, hard rain, but it usually lasts about 15-30 minutes and then its sunny and beautiful again.  Also be aware of the fee to exit the country.  I am not sure if they still do it or not, but we had to pay $50 cash (not traveler's checks or credit card) per person to custom's officials at the airport before we could check in at the airline counter.  Yes it's legit and not a group of scammers and government backed.

I would go back in a heartbeat.  

Have fun ...
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 10:50:25 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Went there on my honeymoon back several years ago.  Be careful sitting at windows near the street at restuarants ... people can and will try to take stuff (cameras, cell phones, etc.) sitting on the table.  Also, in San Jose, if a street band comes up and asks to play for you, just tell them no.  We said yes, and they followed us around all night long and would not go away.  

Otherwise, great place to visit.  Go to Quepos (Manual Antonio) and hike in the jungles.  Be on the lookout for sloths and monkeys.  Yes, they are there.  We saw some every day we were there.  At one point, I thought I was going to get to punt a monkey who was blocking the path and becoming hostile due to earlier hikers feeding the group.  Expect rain, hard rain, but it usually lasts about 15-30 minutes and then its sunny and beautiful again.  Also be aware of the fee to exit the country.  I am not sure if they still do it or not, but we had to pay $50 cash (not traveler's checks or credit card) per person to custom's officials at the airport before we could check in at the airline counter.  Yes it's legit and not a group of scammers and government backed.

Have fun ...
Was there last June and the exit fee deal was still in effect. It wasn't much though.

We're going back again, if not this year, then next. We had a blast.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'll try and get some good pics of the Central American trim for you guys so you can rank them.

this is now your top priority
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 11:09:41 AM EDT
[#32]
After visiting Costa Rica I did not want to leave and was seriously contemplating buying a house there.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Jaco is a blast.

Tons of hot latinas - mostly Colombians along with Ticas - and the beach is very nice.  A great vibe when I went there, welcoming of foreigners without feeling like a resort.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 11:34:02 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

After visiting Costa Rica I did not want to leave and was seriously contemplating buying a house there.

I've been there too and loved it. My parents have been several times and my dad subscribed to the Tico Times for years checking out the real estate. He decided that the squatters rights were very strong at the time (this was late 80's, early 90's before it was largely popular so they may have been reformed since). Friend of mine's son got in a car vs. scooter accident, killed scooter guy who was at fault and was jailed until his father was $100,000 poorer. I will most likely not return to CR; certainly not behind the wheel.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Who's Been to Costa Rica Before?

Before what?

A better question is, "Who's Been to Costa Rica?"
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Who's Been to Costa Rica Before?

Before what?

A better question is, "Who's Been to Costa Rica?"

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 11:49:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
 Also be aware of the fee to exit the country.  I am not sure if they still do it or not, but we had to pay $50 cash (not traveler's checks or credit card) per person to custom's officials at the airport before we could check in at the airline counter.  Yes it's legit and not a group of scammers and government backed.

Have fun ...

The airport tax is only $26. You can pay for it when you arrive, and some hotels are licensed to sell it to you....either way, you do not wait in line when you are trying to depart.  If you have an official or diplomatic passport, you are exempt.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 11:53:56 AM EDT
[#38]
They use a different time system.

"Tico Time"

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't think my fiancee would like that very much.   She isn't coming along though so......

Key Largo

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Key Largo

Club IDEM was a much better deal when I was there.

The DelRay Hotel had a bad reputation of turning a blind eye to thiefs and scammers.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Being that I was there with my steady girl, I wasn't really on the lookout for trim.

However.. being a man... I was glancing, a bit... and most of the local girls that I saw were working the "3rd World, Central American Peasant" look.

Not exactly what you want to bring home to mom.

Where exactly, is Costa Rica hiding all the hot women that you guys are talking about?

I saw a lot of potential maids and housekeepers... not many women I'd like to fuck.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Well, when I was there it was for business, and I spent most of my time dealing with college educated, more affluent types.  So I suppose the curve was skewed towards hotness as opposed to the common ghetto girls.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top