Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2002 4:49:14 PM EDT
I hate to admit this, but I'm still using Aol.
I've been fed up for sometime, but as usual, keep putting off making a change.

Does anybody use Outdoors Unlimited, and if so how do you like it? Any other alternatives to Aol would be appreciated. I'm still going to have to go with dial-up service for a while yet, and need something that is easy to use and has good services.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I would recommend either earthlink or att. MSN is ok, but I will be switching as soon as I can.

-legrue

Link Posted: 5/24/2002 5:16:43 PM EDT
[#2]
For all it's worth, I used AT&T before DSL and cable came along and I never had any problems with them. They were recommended by a friend that liked their service as well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Except for AOL or MSN, and the "free ones" (netzero & co), there's really not much difference between the others, the real ISPs. You might as well try to support a local outfit, if it's not too bad. But anyway, how much worse than AOL could it possibly be? Try to find a local business.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I have Att Worldnet and love it!

[url]http://www.att.net/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I have MSN. never had a proplem.
I'm thinking about going to [url]www.ev1.net[/url] because its 10 bucks a months with no contract, and have never heard a complaint about them.

BTW the only reason I'm thinking about switching is cause :
MSN=21.95/month
EV1=10.00/month

Link Posted: 5/24/2002 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I have outdrs.net  it works fine for me and a buck goes to the NRA.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Be warned - if you're using AOL 5.0 or later you'll probably have to reinstall Windows in order to use another ISP.  AOL software overwrites several critical .DLLs that Windows uses for the network socket so you can't connect to any other type of network.  It even screws up you ability to access machine on a LAN.

AOL has been fighting lawsuits about this since 1999.  Use your favorite search engine with keywords like "AOL" and "class action" and you'll find more details.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Doesn't the NRA have an ISP?

Anyone use that?

I use bigplanet right now. they're pretty good. [url]www.bigplanet.com [/url]

I'm still waiting on cable or DSL to get below $50. I won't pay that for an isp.

Link Posted: 5/24/2002 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#9]
earthlink for at home dsl, outdrs.net for travel.
they both work fine for me.

Bell South sukd.  DSL was down as often as up.

NRA recently started an ISP, I think RKBA just started one.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 7:55:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm with the ATT Worldnet guys. Never get bounced. Only an occasional pop up ad while you're on the home page and none when you're somewhere else. Price is less than AOL by a couple of bucks a month and it's never taken me more than 3 minutes to get on line, usually only 30-45 secs.

One warning, when you dump AOL, they may do to you what they did to me (and many others I'm told); fudge up your hard drive innards so you can't get online with anybody.  Apparently their latest version (6.0 or 7.0 or both) have this built in, and there's a class action lawsuit in progress against them. [;D]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Before my DSL and Cable, I was with IBM.NET.  They kicked ass.  But they got bought out by ATT Global Net.  So I would say go with AT&T.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top