Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2011 3:37:10 AM EDT
My 20yr old brother will be moving in with me today. Has anyone had any experience with Job Corps? How long would you wait to ship his no job having ass off?
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 3:40:35 AM EDT
[#1]
We sometimes train Job Corps folks to work in our warehouse. They stay 6 weeks and then move to an actual job.

They all strike me as slightly under-educated and severely under-motivated.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 3:49:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I went, it can be hard to get a spot. Have him request a forest service JC (as opposed to DOL) so he can make money fighting fire in the summers.  its a good thing IF he can take advantage of it and not get put in the hospital while there.

Things can get a little rough.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 3:55:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I went, it can be hard to get a spot. Have him request a forest service JC (as opposed to DOL) so he can make money fighting fire in the summers. its a good thing IF he can take advantage of it and not get put in the hospital while there.

What do you mean it can get a little rough? Is he likely to get shanked?
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 3:55:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Job corps saved my ass. I decided when I was 16 that I knew everything and didn't need to go to school. I was referred to Job Corps and ended up getting a traditional HS diploma and spent 9 months there learning plastering. At the end I was job placed with a union and could have started out making over $20 an hour, which in 1991 would have been a good deal of coin for a teenage dropout.

I decided to join the Marines instead, don't regret it a bit. It's a great program but the individual has to WANT to succeed.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 3:58:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I went, it can be hard to get a spot. Have him request a forest service JC (as opposed to DOL) so he can make money fighting fire in the summers. its a good thing IF he can take advantage of it and not get put in the hospital while there.

What do you mean it can get a little rough? Is he likely to get shanked?

Well.....maybe. Alot of kids in Job Corps are court ordered to be there so you get alot of gang bangers and druggies mixed in with the kids who actually want to make something of themselves. I would reccomend he go to one of the Job Corps that are waaaaayyy out in the country. The inner city Job Corps are pretty rough. I went to Ft Simcoe in White Swan, Washington. Middle or fucking nowhere but we didn't get nearly as much riffraff as the inner city JCs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top