Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2011 4:25:42 PM EDT
Anyone here ever put rope lights in their gunsafe? It sounds like a great concept, but I'm curious to know if it would be bright enough.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#1]
never tried that but i use led strips from IKEA. they work great.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep. I have, just plain old LED white light, around the lip of the door opening.

Not too bright, not too dim, just right.

I attached it with the hook side of velcro, cut in strips wrapped around the rope light every few inches.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Velcroed Pop Light FTW.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep.  Exactly what I did.  Strung them around the inside perimeter of the door, except the bottom.  Works great.

I also cut the light's power cord and wired in a work box from radio shack with a momentary switch.  I mounted that in a bottom corner.  The light comes on when I open the door, like a refrigerator.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yep.  Exactly what I did.  Strung them around the inside perimeter of the door, except the bottom.  Works great.

I also cut the light's power cord and wired in a work box from radio shack with a momentary switch.  I mounted that in a bottom corner.  The light comes on when I open the door, like a refrigerator.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

did you have a thread on that in the safes section?

if so I copied it. Thanks for the write up

Ran the same switch up to the door. I used the LED lighting from Lowes, mounted my 110v outlet under a shelf.

I also put in one of those humidity/temp sensors with the display mounted to the outside of the safe. Not sure that I have looked at it since but it was on clearance at Target for 10bucks.

Got pics on the camera but havent gotten them uploaded yet.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got one strand in the front, tucked in behind the door flange, and one in the back.  Both strands were long enough to go almost all the way round both sides and the top and they were around $9 each at Walmart.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:09:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I installed a 13 ft. length from Home Depot about 8 years ago in my Ft Knox 16-gun safe. (that I have since found will hold at least 20 guns with some creative arranging)
Used the pre-existing hole in the left rear that fed the Goldenrod powercord and ran the rope-light in their plastic channels that have the double-sided tape already installed  to the inside front lip.
Just enough length (and all you'll need) to go around the left side, upper, and down the right side. You can't see the lights when the safe's open unless you stick your head inside and look out.
Was a little dubious about how long the tape would last, but it's still holding on tight.

Downside: two, 1-foot seperate lenghts burned out within 2-3 years but there was still enough light to find your way around without too much trouble.
I just replaced the whole length with the exact same item about 3 months ago for a grand total of about $13.95 and I'm back on the case.

The only really tough part was drilling and installing a "door-jamb-switch" so that the light came on when I opened the door.
Burnrd up a couple of carbide bits getting through the steel but it worked out okay.

All in all, it works for me and since the safe is in a closet, I couldn't see crap without the rope-light deal.
Besides, I got tired of trying to find a flashlight every time I wanted in.

Pretty easy fix and you'll amaze your friends!
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I prefer crushed velvet and neons.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#9]
hmm, I just use a flashlight if I need to see something, but I have 4 safes and i am not that motivated
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Nothing quite like rope lighting to give your gun safe that "gentleman's club" feel.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've got one strand in the front, tucked in behind the door flange, and one in the back.  Both strands were long enough to go almost all the way round both sides and the top and they were around $9 each at Walmart.

very nice strip club feel to it
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Very cool, but I don't think you have enough pistols in there. I only have a couple of those push button type lights, think I'll give this a try, great idea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top