Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2002 1:31:17 PM EDT
Here is a sample of what is fed to the masses.

The Washington Post
Sunday, May 19, 2002; Page B07

Lock-and-Load Ashcroft
By Mary McGrory

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A35975-2002May17.html

Various people have various ideas about what the country needs most. Seniors think it's prescription drug benefits; the young are for more liberal college loans. But our attorney general, John Ashcroft, has the most novel: He thinks what this country needs is more guns. Already there are 200 million guns in circulation within our borders. Does this number help to explain why we have between 20,000 and 30,000 gun deaths a year?

Ashcroft does not connect the dots, as we say all the time now. Ashcroft is passionate about guns, and although he promised the Senate Judiciary Committee at his confirmation hearings that he would set aside his personal feelings, his passion has become a policy. The attorney general thinks that any American who wants a gun should have one. He's gone to the Second Amendment of the Constitution for ammunition.

While 60 years of court opinion have held that the Founders intended to extend a collective privilege for militias -- after all, they were doing their drafting while the redcoats were still coming in memory -- Ashcroft told the National Rifle Association in a letter of a year ago: "Let me state unequivocally my view that the text and original intention of the Second Amendment clearly protects the right of individuals to keep and bear arms."

It is somewhat embarrassing that the chief law enforcement officer of our country is a gun nut, but it is more than that. Dennis Henigan of the Brady Center to Prevent Violence warns that felons arrested for gun possession will claim the alibi Ashcroft has provided them: the right to keep and bear arms.

Lawyers for John Walker Lindh have asked that gun-bearing charges against their pro-Taliban client be dropped under Ashcroft's second thoughts about the Second Amendment. Ashcroft's intervention in the Lindh case illustrates how he sees his role. He feels he was chosen to be a temporary Grand Inquisitor sniffing out heresy -- which to him means any resistance to Baptist fundamental doctrine -- in all corners of the country.

Lindh, the Marin County youth who obsessed about Islam, brought all the attorney general's aggressions into full play. With reckless disregard for the inappropriateness of attempting to influence a trial outcome, he declared he was still hoping for the death penalty, another of his enthusiasms.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Gun control, once considered a winner by Democrats, has fallen on hard times. Sen. Zell Miller (D-Ga.) recently made a much-remarked speech to the NRA in which he declared that Democrats had lost in Arkansas, Tennessee and West Virginia on guns -- and would again. In support of universal armament, he quoted John F. Kennedy -- who was talking about war -- the most conspicuous victim of gun violence in our generation.

Gun control has always been a hard sell on Capitol Hill. Even at the height of the agony and shame over Columbine, Vice President Al Gore had to break a tie over gun-show checks. A new gun-show bill from Joe Lieberman and John McCain is coming up.

A new group called Americans for Gun Safety (AGS), funded by billionaire Andrew McKelvey and headed by John Cowan, formerly of HUD, is vigorously backing the check. Cowan says his group's premise is that there is nothing to be done about the 200 million guns already here and that Democrats should learn to love gun-owners -- who have been brainwashed by the NRA to think a handgun ban would mean the confiscation of their hunting rifles. No one seems able to convince them that even the mouthiest Massachusetts liberal has no designs on long guns. AGS says it's a battle that can't be won.

Leadership on guns may be passing from Democrats to doctors. Nine thousand U.S. medics have formed a coalition to fight guns as a health hazard. Their leader, Dr. Jeremiah Barondess of New York, was shown on "Sixty Minutes" asking patients about guns in their homes. A counter-group of 900 physicians rages that the questions are intrusive and based on a political agenda unbecoming a doctor.

Ashcroft's attempt to take the Second Amendment to the Supreme Court may not come about before the election in November. But his full-throated support for a gun for everyone could be an issue in the campaign, aggravating the kind of gun- shyness exhibited by Tom Strickland, a Democratic Senate candidate in Colorado, who, after Columbine, made fiery statements about guns but this year is saying, "We don't need any more gun control."

Sen. Richard Durbin of Illinois, a gun-control stalwart who retains his convictions, says of the Ashcroft initiative: "I don't think it will make the country safer."

A line from Army Lt. Col. Patrick L. Fetterman comes to mind. He's trying to root out rocket-launching terrorists from the mountains in Afghanistan, and he complained to The Post's Peter Baker that "Everybody in this [expletive] country has a weapon." That may be true of us soon.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#2]
[puke][puke][puke][puke][puke][puke][puke][puke]

Link Posted: 5/19/2002 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#3]
All I have to say is thank you to the democrats of the "Show Me State" of Missouri for allowing Mr Ashcroft to dcontinue with his dstiny...

For if it were not for Missouri having Carnahan die while running against Ashcroft.. the sympathy vote might not have been that strong ...

And if Ashcroft would not have been defeated I do not think Mr GW Bush would have selected Mr Ashcroft for Attorney General and possibly swing the Senate to the Democrats...

So a hearty thank you goes from me to all those sympathetic Missouri democratic voters for the deliverance of the strongest suporter of the 2nd ammendmant this country has seen in eons...

Thank you

Ted...
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#4]
The Post's Peter Baker that "Everybody in this [expletive] country has a weapon." That may be true of us soon.
View Quote

Damn I feaking hope so...
Hmm can you Imagine a liberal getting a gun..:

[red]liberal[/red]:  Dude.. is this the line for the free guns??
[blue]You[/blue]: Free? NO, but the one Im getting is around 500..
[red]liberal[/red]: [b]$500[/b] !!!!!!! ...Ashcroft said I have a [i]right[/i] to own one!!! the .gov has to [i]give[/i] me one... damn it its my [b]right[/b]!!!!
[blue]you[/blue]:NO, you have a right to [b]buy[/b] one...  if you dont have the cash, get the phuck out of this line !!!
[red]liberal[/red]: [argue]AH!! you cant talk to me like that!!  .... Im sending you my consouling bill !!!![>Q][>Q][>Q]

Link Posted: 5/19/2002 3:10:42 PM EDT
[#5]
What do you expect from a commie pinko leftist  rag like the washington-fag-post?

(Did I mention I hate that rag of a newpaper?)
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 3:16:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Ashcroft's attempt to take the Second Amendment to the Supreme Court may not come about before the election in November.
View Quote

Remember Ann Coulter's article about the liberal media lying every chance they get? She was on Fox the other night saying the same thing. In fact, she specifically mentioned The Washington Post.

Well, as I recall it, Aschroft and the DOJ were trying to KEEP Emerson and Haley from going to SCOTUS. They don't want those cases heard!

It looks like she was right again.

The Washington Post = lying liberal scum.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank God, we have a man with his persisting pro-gun views with the very powerful position he holds in this government. Go get 'em John Ashcroft! Sure is a very nice change from former Atty. General Janet Reno!
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Apparently the major qualifications for being a Washington Post columnist are that you must be ugly and you must be supremely stupid. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

[url]www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A35975-2002May17.html[/url]
View Quote

More crap from an ignorant liberal! [:(!]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Mary McGrory is an idiot.

I have a boilerplate letter that I email to reporters and columnists about this issue.  Unfortunately, Ms. McGrory is careful to keep her email address private.  Nothing like a little fact and perspective from the great unwashed to ruin your day, you know.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:21:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's annoying.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 6:56:14 AM EDT
[#12]
phonegunner: "...So a hearty thank you goes from me to all those sympathetic Missouri democratic voters for the deliverance of the strongest suporter of the 2nd ammendmant this country has seen in eons..."

You forgot to thank the obvious vote fraud in St Louis also.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top