Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2011 3:42:44 PM EDT
How many/what percentage of these people I see talking favorably about and/or celebrating UBL's death are against the death penalty here in our country? I would guess more than 50% of these college kids, Northeasterners, etc. I see celebrating are against the death penalty for "regular murders."

Do they rationlize their glee at UBL's death with the fact that he was responsible for the deaths of approximately 3,000 Americans, in which case they must have some personal "threshold" at which the number of murders justifies death?  

Or, do they allow themselves to celebrate only because UBL couldn't have been brought to justice by any other means than death?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#1]
the college kids dont' give a shit about anything. They will be spitting at the troops nest week.  They just need justification for blowing off homework to go get drunk and party.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#2]
This guy.

Killing an enemy combatant resisting capture is not the same as capital punishment.

Even if he had been captured alive, I would be fine with capital punishment in order to prevent al-Qaeda from taking hostages to try and have him released.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#3]
thats kinda like comparing apples to oranges with bombs in them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

the college kids dont' give a shit about anything. They will be spitting at the troops nest week.  They just need justification for blowing off homework to go get drunk and party.

Dont tell my sergeant, he'll be pissed if I spit on him

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I am amazed how college educated individuals can be so freaking stupid..
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

the college kids dont' give a shit about anything. They will be spitting at the troops nest week. They just need justification for blowing off homework to go get drunk and party.

First post.....BOOM......headshot.....
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

the college kids dont' give a shit about anything. They will be spitting at the troops nest week. They just need justification for blowing off homework to go get drunk and party.

First post....BOOM......headshot.

ETA....Oooops............double tap....
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:38:49 PM EDT
[#9]
The greatest thing about this country is we have the freedom to be anything we want, including a dumb-ass...

Don't worry about what other people think.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#10]
There are plenty of college kids that agree with your views. They just don't make the news as often.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How many/what percentage of these people I see talking favorably about and/or celebrating UBL's death are against the death penalty here in our country? I would guess more than 50% of these college kids, Northeasterners, etc. I see celebrating are against the death penalty for "regular murders."

Do they rationlize their glee at UBL's death with the fact that he was responsible for the deaths of approximately 3,000 Americans, in which case they must have some personal "threshold" at which the number of murders justifies death?  

Or, do they allow themselves to celebrate only because UBL couldn't have been brought to justice by any other means than death?

There's a difference between combat and criminal law, right?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm anti-death penalty, not on moral grounds, but on the grounds that there are too many flaws in the judicial system.

However, killing someone in a military raid is not the equvalent of arreting, trying and executing someone.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm just pro-dead badguys. Whether they have a formal trial or a flash sight picture in the middle of a raid is kinda secondary.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#14]
The day I turn to "College Kids" for advice on anything anywhere near this caliber is the day you can lay me to rest.

They are in "College" to learn (yeah yeah, I know that things in academia are not what they used to be) not to tell us how we ought to be doing things.

Perhaps we should be asking Mrs. Wilson's 5th graders how the 5th fleet should be utilized in this time of global unrest.

Nothing against all y'all in college, just please don't think that you have all the answers quite yet.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:47:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm anti-death penalty, not on moral grounds, but on the grounds that there are too many flaws in the judicial system.

However, killing someone in a military raid is not the equvalent of arreting, trying and executing someone.

That.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#16]
1st post rule is really amazing.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm fine with the death penalty, but it is also clear that killing someone in combat is not the same as executing them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:04:41 PM EDT
[#18]
OBL wasn't a criminal, he was the leader of an enemy organization which is at war with the United States. He was not executed by The State, he was killed by soldiers in combat.

Comparing OBL to a serial killer or a guy who knocks off a gas station and shoots the clerk is just plain dumb.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:07:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OBL wasn't a criminal, he was the leader of an enemy organization which is at war with the United States. He was not executed by The State, he was killed by soldiers in combat.

Comparing OBL to a serial killer or a guy who knocks off a gas station and shoots the clerk is just plain dumb.

+1
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

First post....BOOM......headshot.

ETA....Oooops............double tap....

OBL apparently got double-tapped so it's good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top