Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/29/2011 1:02:40 PM EDT
The best Star Wars character thread had me thinking, most people in there were arguing about whether or not the Expanded Universe, and all the books, counted or not. Let's say they do, as I actually like the books better than the movies anyway.

I loved the Rogue Squadron series. Aaron Allston imparted a sarcastic, wiseass sense of humor to all of the characters. The Yuuzhan Vong series was excellent as well, but I hated that they killed off Chewbacca, (although they had to drop a moon on him to do it) and then Anakin Solo.

I guess it's a toss up between the Rogue Squadron series, and the more recent books, following Boba Fett, and the Imperial Commando series.

Damnit, I'm a nerd, oh well. My man cave has an entire wall filled with Star Wars books, lol.

May the Force be with you
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:16:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I've read/own all the books favorites were the rogue squadron series and the kyle katarn book/games. I do feel rogue squadron still had a few more books left in it.

T

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:18:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Star Wars AND Zombies

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Aaron Allston is my favorite author in the Star Wars universe.  His Car Wars novel was pretty good as well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:47:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Peter David is one of the better authors as well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#6]
The republic commando series is pretty good, Karen Travers I think
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Original star wars zombies was a book in the 80's.......I have it, has a holographic cover on it too!

T

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#8]
The Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn

ETA: In fact, I think the Thrawn Trilogy is the unofficial Episodes 7 - 9 but someone would have
to help me confirm that.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Shadows of the Empire.

I didn't care for the Rogue Squadren series (read two of them).

Tales of the Bounty Hunter is a great read.  It's five short stories about all those bounty hunters hired to find Han Solo and Leia.  Boosk has a story, IG-88 does, and of course Boba Fett.  They cross pathes in the stories too.  And apparantly all five of them heard Admiral Piet's "that scum" comment.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#10]

While it was a decent book, it started out really, really slow.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Thrawn Trilogy, Followed by X-Wing Series (Stackpole was the great, though Allston was a good replacement), followed by the New Jedi Order.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#12]
In case someone doesn't know what thread he's referring to... (hoping it doesn't die )

Previous Thread

I like the sound of zombies + Star Wars...
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Anything by Zahn.  He actually understood the characters and wrote realistic dialog, etc.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

ETA: In fact, I think the Thrawn Trilogy is the unofficial Episodes 7 - 9 but someone would have
to help me confirm that.

Some would say that. As much as I hate Lucas, I give him a nod in that he's been rather accepting of the Thrawn series. It's the highest form of canon the novels can really be. It's damn near movie canon. In fact, Characters such as Mara Jade have been fully recognized by Lucas as being canon, so there's no argument the Thrawn trilogy is perhaps the most well received series.

Personally, I'd cum buckets if they made movies about it. Just after Lucas dies, please...
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anything by Zahn.  He actually understood the characters and wrote realistic dialog, etc.

+100

Zahn's characters come to life. They're real people. That's the reason you end up rooting for the Empire some of the time in his books.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I did like zahn enough that I read the conquerors trillogy he wrote and they are also great books, though not star wars.

T

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:05:35 PM EDT
[#17]
For someone that hasn't read any of the EU books, where's a good place to start?

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I read a bunch of Star Wars books when I was younger, but it's been so long, I can't remember who the author was.  They were great though.  I've not much to contribute to the thread, but am admitting to my inner geek.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

to help me confirm that.

Just after Lucas dies, please...

True. I can't agree more. Also, the only way we'll ever get a theatrical cut of the originals in 2.35 anamorphic
is if Lucas kicks the bucket. I always say when Lucas screws something up is that we've been Lucas'd.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Zahn followed by Stackpole.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Original star wars zombies was a book in the 80's.......I have it, has a holographic cover on it too!

T

80s????

I think you mean Galaxy of Fear: City of the Dead––––-> 1997.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:21:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Well it seemed like a long time ago lol.

T

Quoted:

Quoted:

T

80s????

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

T

Iv'e read Death Troopers, but I need more infor on this original one you speak of...

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

to help me confirm that.

I've never heard that before... but it DOES fit, and quite nicely, too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:26:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Zahn followed by Stackpole.

This.  Re-reading I, Jedi at this time.  I loaned out my Zahn Thrawn trilogy, never to return...  

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

T

80s????

Didnt one of the Han Solo books from the 70s or early 80s have zombies or something also?

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

to help me confirm that.

I would have loved to see that go to screen rather than the prequels...  *shudder*

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

to help me confirm that.

I read that back in the early 90s. Because of its fit a lot of folks felt it was the rumored
trilogy after ANH/ESB/ROTJ, but Lucas did confirm that there never was an Episode 7-9,
and it was all rumors from the 80s. Rumors and tomfoolery.
I read it in a special Star Wars magazine back in the '93/'94.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I want to say that one of the tales of books had zombies in it also. Tales of the empire or something like that. Underground base on a planet with worms that made you a zombie.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

T

80s????

Didnt one of the Han Solo books from the 70s or early 80s have zombies or something also?

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#30]
The strident libertardism in the various SW books ruins any enjoyment I could have had of them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+100

Zahn's characters come to life. They're real people. That's the reason you end up rooting for the Empire some of the time in his books.

Yeah I vote for the Zahn series as well.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Timothy Zahn's series are excellent
The Han Solo trilogy by Brian Daley
The Wraith Squadron series by Aaron Allston
Traitor, Shatterpoint, and ROTS by Matthew Stover - they're philosophy, not entertainment
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Shadows of the Empire.

Tales of the Bounty Hunter is a great read.  It's five short stories about all those bounty hunters hired to find Han Solo and Leia.  Boosk has a story, IG-88 does, and of course Boba Fett.  They cross pathes in the stories too.  And apparantly all five of them heard Admiral Piet's "that scum" comment.  

That would be Kevin J. Anderson. He had several great books. I remember thinking his writing style being similar to stephen king.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:11:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Shadows of the Empire.

Tales of the Bounty Hunters is a great read.  It's five short stories about all those bounty hunters hired to find Han Solo and Leia.  Boosk has a story, IG-88 does, and of course Boba Fett.  They cross pathes in the stories too.  And apparantly all five of them heard Admiral Piet's "that scum" comment.  

I can give a +1 to both of these.

I don't understand the love for the Zahn stuff. I tried to read "Heir to the Empire" and gave up.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Personally I like all of the "Rogue Squadron" books by Michael Stackpole. There's another author who wrote a few books in the Rogue Squadron series, but those have a completely different set of characters.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shadows of the Empire.

That would be Kevin J. Anderson. He had several great books. I remember thinking his writing style being similar to stephen king.

Kevin J. Anderson wrote the first Star Wars novel I ever read cover to cover: Darksaber.

At the time, I was young and thought the world of it. Now that I'm older I pretty much think Kevin J. Anderson is shit. I mean, everyone of his novels seems to revolve around yet another superweapon. With that said, I have a fondness for Kyp Durron, since he was one of the protagonists in Darksaber, and I get excited any time he gets any role in novels nowadays. He stays pretty much a sub character, but here's to hoping one day he dies like a badass.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Personally I like all of the "Rogue Squadron" books by Michael Stackpole. There's another author who wrote a few books in the Rogue Squadron series, but those have a completely different set of characters.

Aaron Allston. He was a good friend of Stackpole and a fellow writer and took over the series for him. It was actually how he got into writing novels. Currently, he's the best Star Wars writer still active in my opinion, and his X-Wing books revolving around the Wraith Squadron were a fantastic follow-up to Stackpole's. If I had to choose, Stackpole hands down, but Allston is no chump when writing Star Wars.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I read the first two from that series in my spare time in basic training last year. Have since read them all. Good stuff.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:03:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+100

Yes, absolutley. Thrawn was awesome!
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:04:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
For someone that hasn't read any of the EU books, where's a good place to start?

Wherever you like, although the newer ones have a chronological timeline printed in them, so you can see where they left off. Shadows of the Empire is good, as is the Truce at Bakura, which takes place immediately following Return of the Jedi.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The strident libertardism in the various SW books ruins any enjoyment I could have had of them.

What do you mean?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:27:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shadows of the Empire.

Every book of his that I have read, I have liked...
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:28:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I read the first two from that series in my spare time in basic training last year. Have since read them all. Good stuff.

Spare time in Basic Training? BOOKS in basic training? What IS THIS BLASPHEMY, lol!
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:29:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Star by Star by Troy Denning - long as hell, characters from the series dying left and right, and an all-out ass-whoopin' laid down by the Vong - GREAT fucking read.

And.... anything by Timothy Zahn.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#46]
FYI I'm like the deej of starwars books :-)

T
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I did like zahn enough that I read the conquerors trillogy he wrote and they are also great books, though not star wars.

T

Conquerers was awesome
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:33:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The world must seem very limited with such blinders on.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:36:18 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shadows of the Empire.

Kevin J. Anderson wrote the first Star Wars novel I ever read cover to cover: Darksaber.

At the time, I was young and thought the world of it. Now that I'm older I pretty much think Kevin J. Anderson is shit. I mean, everyone of his novels seems to revolve around yet another superweapon. With that said, I have a fondness for Kyp Durron, since he was one of the protagonists in Darksaber, and I get excited any time he gets any role in novels nowadays. He stays pretty much a sub character, but here's to hoping one day he dies like a badass.

I'm not much of a fan of Anderson. He did do some decent work, but seems like he'd start writing a series and just end up taking over. He was everywhere in the Star Wars books and then he showed writing X-Files books as well and they disappeared after that.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

T

Conquerers was awesome

Did you read all 3? I liked how he did it from the different perspectives in each book.

T

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top