Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2011 8:24:42 PM EDT
I was cleaning out some boxes tonight and found the class ring of a guy I dated 13 years ago. We hung out for 8 months. He gave it to me. He was such an arrogant prick, I stopped talking to him. He never asked for it back.

This guy was a total douchebag but it was a long time ago. I have no use for this thing, should I send it back or chuck it in the river?
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#2]

I'll give you a buck-fitty for it.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was cleaning out some boxes tonight and found the class ring of a guy I dated 13 years ago. We hung out for 8 months. He gave it to me. He was such an arrogant prick, I stopped talking to him. He never asked for it back.

This guy was a total douchebag but it was a long time ago. I have no use for this thing, should I send it back or chuck it in the river?

I'd send it back with a note:

'and no, I don't want to talk to you'.

That will drive the point home.

Chris

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Let your conscience be your guide. It might be the change that keeps him from jumping off a bridge. Although he might start stalking you, thinking it was a gesture from the loins.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#6]
You are a woman, yes?
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You are a woman, yes?

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Mail it back with no return address.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#9]
maybe you should post this in team to get some better advice
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:58:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd definitely send it with no return address. This guy has no idea where I live. I will never see him again.

I'm not sure about throwing away someone else's stuff, even if they suck.

Besides, he's already paid extensively for being an ass.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:23:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd definitely send it with no return address. This guy has no idea where I live. I will never see him again.

I 'm just not sure about throwing away someone else's stuff, even if they suck.

WTF do you care?  Toss it.  Be done with it.  

Wow im surprised that site staff is so eager to tell somebody to damage somebody elses stuff. So the guy was an asshole, thats about half of the population now days. You would be an asshole too if you threw away the guys expensive class ring, even if he was dumb enough to gift it to you at the hormone rich age of 16-18.
You dont want it, he probably does, im sure that its worth some money, postage is cheap, toss it in an envelope with no return address with a note that says youre just doing a good deed and dont want contact.

Who knows, he could have changed his life and become a really good person by now (although most assholes dont). Hell if you watch enough afternoon talkshows then you know that he might be a woman too by now!

The ring would still fit him though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#14]
If it is gold you should just go to sell it and see what you can get for it. If you want to be nice the school may have records of his current address and see if they will mail it for you.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:38:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wow im surprised that site staff is so eager to tell somebody to damage somebody elses stuff.

Per the OP, he gave it to her.  It's her property now.  

She is deciding whether to return it or not.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You don't want the headache of dealing with some jackass from your past.  Toss it in the trash and never think of it again.  Zero drama.

Class rings are generally 10kt IIRC and hefty, she might be able to pawn it and scratch up a few bucks.

Chris

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Mail it back with no return address.

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:01:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:21:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

He gave it to you, it is not his anymore.  If it has gold in it, then sell it and spend the money on something that makes you happier than he ever did.

Steve

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:27:38 PM EDT
[#21]
If you don't want it, I would send it back WITH a return address. A whole lot can happen in 8 years, and it might make both of your days.

A lot of the reactionary "kick to curb" bullshit you see in GD is kind of a bummer.

Chances are he isn't going to show up on your fucking doorstep with a butcher knife. If he does, shoot him.

Relax. There was something there at some point. Even if you have a man he might write back and tell you he is sorry for being a douchebag back then.

You get rid of the assholes ring, he at the very least thanks you for giving him back something sentimental. Everybody wins.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:44:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Give it back or sell it.  Throwing away something you could get money for is a waste.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:18:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The only shitty response I've gotten was from a moderator.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:36:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'd sell it for the cost of the gold/silver in it.  Fuck him. atleast you would get enough money for dinner and drinks, LOL.

J-
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:43:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:49:23 AM EDT
[#26]
I've sold class rings I've found at yard sales on EBay for some good coin. Just make sure you put the name of the HS in the title.

Back when I was in school not everyone could afford a ring so there is a market from folks whose financial status has improved. Heck I had to catch/sell a lot of bait to be able pay for mine. I'd been better off buying a gun as it was worn for maybe a week.

If it is gold it might be better to sell it as scrap gold.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:56:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Hock, sell on Craigslist or Ebay, or sell to a local jeweler to be re-sold or scrapped.

Another idea:  Since it is a class ring, there may be somebody out there from the same class who either lost his class ring or never bought one, and would like to have one.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:44:41 AM EDT
[#28]
I gave mine away about 15 or so years ago. I wouldn't mind having it now just to know it wasn't tossed out. She popped it out a few years later and i'd say still might have it. Didn't ask last time we talked just caught up with happenings of life.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:50:52 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only shitty response I've gotten was from a moderator.

the idea of sending it to him with out a return address is a good one. You already know what you should do
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:59:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If it's gold, sell it and get the cash.

With the cash, buy something that he would have liked, something that would have been a nice gift for you to have given him when you were dating.

Throw THAT into the river.  That'll teach that creep!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:02:18 AM EDT
[#31]
pawn it and buy yourself something groovy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:03:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Gold is worth a lot of money now a days.

I'm just saying is all.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:25:15 AM EDT
[#33]
It’s valadium, not worth anything. And it has his name engraved on it.

It means nothing to me; I thought he’d want it back.

Just trying to do the right thing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:29:02 AM EDT
[#34]
He hasn't tracked you down on facebook to ask for it back, so just drop it in the trash.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top