Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2002 10:02:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#1]
IF it is a wisdom tooth--3rd molar--get it and any of the potential other 3 you have-out. No need for them. Most people don't have room for them anyway and may cause crowding of anteriors. Get an IV sedation, 20 minutes to get them out, rest that day and go on with life the next.

You need to get on an antibiotic and some anti-inflammatories. The infection is acidic. What they will inject locally will be a form of a base. IF the infection is intense, the injection may not render you completely numb. Pure pain medication will simply block the neural pathway to the brain-and over time may not work.  Best thing is to stop the source--the infection and the inflammation that results from the infection.

Take the antibiotic and a generic Advil-ibuprofen--if you are not allergic. In a pinch, you can take a simple Lipton teabag, wet it and place it next to the tooth in question. That is a simple help for tooth pain.
I am going on your assurance that it is a wisdom tooth. If a 2nd molar, and the bone level is good and the periodontal condition surrounding the tooth is fine, have endodontic treatment and keep the tooth.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 10:29:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a period of about 9 years with nothing but good reports from the dentist, then, WHAM!, 3 of those root canal jobs in one year!
I wanted to pry them out myself, too.
People DID that at one time.
It's one pain I'd gladly give my best enemies.
The worst pain I've had to endure.
Get it taken care of ASAP, brother.
I know what you're talkin' about.

Here's to when the pain is gone...[beer]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 10:30:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Your dentist may try to drain the pus, and (s)he may insert a wick that'll stay in for a few days to help the abscess drain.
I guess that your dentist will get a history of the problem, will examine the tooth, may do an X-ray,
You may get an antibiotic, and take it as it's directed, until it's gone.
Maybe you'll get a root canal, maybe the dentist will pull the tooth.

Until you get the appointment, I think that you ought to rinse your mouth regularly (maybe with salt water), to take some Tylenol or Advil (or Aspirin), to limit your intake of spicy or irritating foods, and to ice the area to reduce the inflammation.  I'm not a dentist, but I think that these are reasonable steps to take.  If you begin to develop a temperature, or if you start to get swelling that spreads to your face, then you might want to consider making an emergency appointment.

Do follow up with the dentist.

Link Posted: 5/17/2002 11:10:02 PM EDT
[#4]
[url]www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/arnet75b.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:13:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:49:55 AM EDT
[#6]
My best guess..anerobic bacteria down in the root..gas buildup against nerves..causing the pain...a course of anti-biotics..possibly a root canal in order..
For pain..aspirin if you arent allergic..dont irritate it..if you can stand an ice pack..try it..if not some over the counter meds like ambisol (sp) (some lidocaine type topical anesthetic)..Basically once the bacteria count is reduced the gas will quit being produced..the pain should stop...but then the problem is still there thats why perhaps a root canal will need to be done..perhaps not..needs to be xrayed..
Too bad these things happen on weekends...
Sorry to hear about your problem ..these things are painfull....
Dont put ice directly on the tooth...use an ice pack on the jaw area either upper or lower...just hold the ice in a towel etc.
Im not a dentist either ..but you defineatly need to see one ASAP
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Oil of cloves
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:39:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a front tooth abscess after it got hit playing basketball.  Doc lanced it without pain killer (because of the acid/base neutralization thing TxDoc spoke of) and my God that hurt!  But the worst part was when he inserted what amounted to a piece of rubber cut into the shape of an "H" so the hole would continue to drain.  He's been on my shit list ever since.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I would not take aspirin. It will affect platelet aggregation for a week or so--meaning if you do end up having it extracted, you will bleed more than necessary.

1- Do you have hot or cold sensitivity? Or, a mix?
2-Does it hurt to percussion? Biting pressure?
3-If cold sensitive--how long does it linger?
4-Does hot make it feel better?

The hot/cold and linger times will give and indication of reversible or non-reversible pulpitis.  

A drain is inserted only when you infection has spread to intersitial spaces of between facial planes.  Most times, you can incise and drain those with no pain due to pressure anethesia-not always.  IF you have swelling that makes your eye look like you were punched, meaning a lot of edema in you face (or you neck), then you need to be seen ASAP. That is a potential emergency that can go downhill in hours. An oral surgeon or ER visit is required.  

If you have a regular dentist, call and get them to call in an antibiotic and get it in your system now. A double dose on the first dose will be a loading dose to get your blood level up as quick as possible and into the concentration require to work.  You need something that will go to the causative point and not something that masks the pain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top