Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2002 8:13:13 PM EDT
Is there a paint that I can use to make the colors as permanant as possible?  I want to paint my next AR camo colors, and I want it to last.  Does anyone know a good paint, or bake on paint I could use that would come in those colors?  Or white mabye and I can add pigment to make my own colors?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#1]

If you want more durable than spray paint, get the bake on teflon spray stuff from brownells.  I am going to use that on my Kimber, along with a new match barrel and bushing and install adjustable night sights.  It's the same stuff many of the big smiths use (with various names).  Just don't let your SO catch you using the kitchen oven LOL.

FWIW, after I saw how long it took to wear the factory finish off my Kimber .45 on all the grip edges and muzzle, I decided I wasn't going to spend a lot of money on finishes on my stuff that sees a lot of hard use.  I used Hunter Specialties camo colors in a spray can on my 110FP/scope/bipod.  If someone can email me, I'll send a pic to post somewhere and then link to it so we can post it here.  

It has been pretty durable, but I have only done range work, a scope base change, and routine maintenence since I painted it.  I figure once I get going to some classes with it, it will wear but I can touch it up in 2 minutes and it's ready to go in an hour again.  That is good enough for me!  

Also, spray paint would most likely burn off near the muzzle the first time you burn up a whole mag plinking.  Witness the pics from awhile back of our troops with spray can camoed M4s.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top