Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2002 8:08:21 PM EDT
Hi all,

If you haven't noticed this is my first post.  Been reading the boards for a couple of months, and decided to join in the fun.  I am new to the sport, just got an AR.  

Okay, my question is about aiming.  I have read and heard about people aiming with both eyes open, but when i try it, it is very hard to do. I can see the circle, but it's hard to line up the post in the circle.  Are my eyes messed up or sumptin?  Is there an easier way to do it?

btw, i am using iron sights.

Thanks for the advice.  [newbie]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:12:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Speaking ONLY for myself...

The only time I use both eyes open is at close to intermediate to close range with trijicon reflex (or similar holos) optics.

For anything beyond that one eye closed, irons or optics.

Tha main point of both eyes open in CQB range is to be able to see what is going on outside of your scope so to speak.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#4]
you could have equal dominance or your just using the wrong eye, punch a small hole in a piece of paper with a pen or pencil then hold the paper out at arms length, looking through the hole pick out something on the wall like a light switch and slowly bring the paper to your face it will line up with the dominant eye unless you have equal dominance like me then you'll just have to shut one eye when you shoot. i use a red dot on my ar and it really helps.
welcome aboard!
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the replies.

I am going to practice on sunday, so this will get much of my attention.  

VA-gunnut, where in VA are you located? I'm in Northern VA, and am looking for ppl in my area.

Seems pretty nice here already
[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#6]
superdav

k, i did that eye dominance thingy, and my right eye seems to be dominant.  What does this mean?  I wear contacts, could that be a problem?

Thats a neat little trick, i just need to know how to interpert it.  thanks for the advice so far.

[beer]  wish i could do this....legally :Þ
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Much better than the both eyes shut method! [shock]

Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Much better than the both eyes shut method! [shock]

View Quote

Using the force?

"With the blast shield down I can't see anything, how am I supposed to fight?"
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm right handed with a dominant left eye.  It sucks.

If anyone has any good ideas how to deal with this, please let me know.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#11]
ATTMAN I think Its like some one just posted,if you have one eye dom you should learn to shoot both eyes open.   I have no dom eye and shoot left or right handed with pistols,but prefer both eyes open when using a rifle.

Learn to use what you have or have not been blessed with.    Multiple shots are best as if on target more damage done in the critical area,if not then its back to the old we are going to treat you so many ways you are bound to like one.

Practice makes better.     Bob
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Might add the obvious this is about close quarter combat.  If engaging the enemy at a distance,then the cheek plate thumb spotweld ,one eye closed(with or with out scope) is probably the most common taught practice.
 bob
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 10:30:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 11:27:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Let's see...

I'm LH/LE (left-handed/left-eyed,) although I head most lefties tend to be LH/RE, or cross-dominant.  I predominantly shoot left-handed with rifle (but can switch with shotgun) and can shoot ambi with a pistol.  

I will usually aim with the eye I'm "shooting" with (LH/LE and RH/RE,) but it's taken over 20 years to get there.  I tend to shoot with both eyes open, or with the "off" eye squinted (but not shut.)  It is possible to shoot a scope with both eyes open, and it WILL take a good deal of practise.

Knowing your dominant eye is helpful, but it causes no trouble.  Also, wearing contacts should cause no trouble - I go back and forth between contacts and glasses often, with no real changes in my shooting.  

It is going to be an issue in practise - practise often.  Once you get it together, you just need to maintain it.  Have patience.

FFZ
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 12:55:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 1:27:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

It depends what the facts are. (I don't know them)  Is it something you are born with, or is it something that you learn growing up?

I believe that its like how writing was for me. I started out being to write equally as well with either hand, but I guess I ended up choosing my right.

To make all this Ironic, my sister (100% Blood)  does different things, with different sides.

She writes with her left, but does most other things with her right side, but also her left leg is more dominant then her right leg.
She shoots right handed, with left eye open!!

I guess what I'm saying is practice makes perfect.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 3:51:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Attman, I've always been told that if you are cross eyed dominate it is easier to learn to shooot with the other hand.

I too used to always shoot one eye open, until i started shooting clays, which is impossible without both eyes open to track the target. Just keep practicing. Now I always shoot with both eyes open.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 4:40:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 4:44:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same problem.
With some guns I actually move my cheek to the right side of the buttstock and use my left, dominant, eye for aiming.  This technique is guaranteed to get some attention at a range !
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 4:49:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 4:50:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Okay, my question is about aiming.  I have read and heard about people aiming with both eyes open, but when i try it.........
View Quote

First, welcome to AR15.com.

If you have not already done so, you might take a look at Trijicon's web site and specifically check their information on the "Bindon" (sp?) aiming concept. (Shooting with both eyes open.)
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 4:55:56 AM EDT
[#22]
go to[url]http://www.championshooters.com/start.html[/url]
and under heading "glasses" are models of blinders and optical attachements. im sure the guys can bring up some more websites along the same lines.

ive seen some folks shoot skeet with one eye shut, but wouldnt you want to see that clay with both eyes? i do.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 4:59:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Learn to shoot left handed.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 5:02:35 AM EDT
[#24]
[url]http://www.tpbweb.com/web/pages/pl1.asp?pageid=5037&website=morganoptical.net[/url]
Help for cross dom probs
[url]http://www.archeryfocus.com/ArcheryFocus/JanFeb99~Article7/go[/url]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 5:20:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Welcome to the board.  I really can't add to all the good advice you've already received.  I will say, though, that if you think aiming with both eyes open is difficult, you should try it with both eyes closed. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:05:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've got the same problem. Shooting handgun i can get by be turning my head to the right a bit and shooting both eyes open.

Rifle, well, that i either close the left eye and put up with the twitching, or put a blob of masking tape tape on my glasses. I just attache the tape at the top of the frame and fold it over itself below there so that it is like a flap that hangs down, this way you don't get adhesive on your glasses. It looks pretty stupid.

Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:28:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
superdav

k, i did that eye dominance thingy, and my right eye seems to be dominant.  What does this mean?  I wear contacts, could that be a problem?

Thats a neat little trick, i just need to know how to interpert it.  thanks for the advice so far.
View Quote

It means that your right eye is your prefered eye.  To shoot both eyes opeen, you have to concentrate on looking only out of your left eye.  Its kind of hard to explain, but its how I shoot everything.  Since you wear contacts I can suggest something to help you, but will give you a killer headache for a while.  Pop out your left contact and leave the right in.  It forces your mind to forget about your left eye and concentrate on your right.  This is what you need to do to shoot both eyes open at any range with any sights.  Eye docs would kill me if they knew I was telling you this.  I did this for a while and it greatly improved my ability to do so.  Unfortunatly, due to a lack of shooting time, it isnt quite as natural anymore, but with a little consious effort, I can still focus my right eye only.  I wouldnt suggest driving or operating power tools with one contact, hell, walking is a problem, but you get used to it.  Also dont do this for extended periods as it is probably really bad for your eyes.  I was a young poor marine when I did it and that was only because I lost one and couldnt afford to replace it.  Anyway, it works and welcome aboard.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for all of the advice.  I'm going to the range tomorrow (well, kinda today) and will try all of this advice.  

The idea of taking one contact out seems very good, if un-orthodaox and will get some time.  

Another question is that at the range I am required to wear safety glasses, and they get in the way.  They annoy the hell outta me and impair my ability to shoot. [heavy] Any quick fixes for this.  Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks for all the welcomes as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top