Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 4/3/2011 8:12:00 AM EDT
There are victims of drunken driving. And, according to one Montana legislator, there are victims of drunken driving laws.

While speaking out against a proposed bill that would make DUI laws more strict for repeat offenders, state Rep. Alan Hale, R–Basin, said drunken driving regulations hurt local businesses and are "destroying a way of life."

"These DUI laws are not doing our small businesses in our state any good at all. They are destroying them," he said in a speech on the state House floor. "They are destroying a way of life that has been in Montana for years and years."

Hale, who, according to his campaign website, runs a bar in Basin, says pubs are important gathering places in his rural Montana district –– important gathering places that are only accessible by car.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/03/31/montana-rep-alan-hale-says-dui-laws-are-destroying-a-way-of-li/
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#1]
More importantly wtf tie is he wearing?

Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:19:12 AM EDT
[#2]
DUI laws are a joke.  The limits get lowered based on declining numbers of DUI arrests, not on evidence of making us safer.  Right now they just make money for the courts, insurance companies, and the biggest extortionist of the three, MADD.  I wouldn't support any increase in penalties until they make the law target dangerous drivers instead of wallets.
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:19:34 AM EDT
[#3]

He looks drunk
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:19:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
DUI laws are a joke.  The limits get lowered based on declining numbers of DUI arrests, not on evidence of making us safer.  Right now they just make money for the courts, insurance companies, and the biggest extortionist of the three, MADD.  I wouldn't support any increase in penalties until they make the law target dangerous drivers instead of wallets.

Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My DUI cost me ~$10,000. A LOT of people make money off of DUI's.
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:22:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ding,Ding,Ding we have a winner 2nd post though
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:24:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I say bring back prohibition or at least set the legal limit to NOT ONE SINGLE DROP. I don't drink never had one in my life. The world would be a better place without you drunks.
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Too many middle-of-the road moderate viewpoints in this thread
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:26:18 AM EDT
[#9]
He's right, though. In rural areas the local pub has been the gathering place forever and its kind of hard to take public transportation or a taxi from your farm to town when neither are available. Of course you could always just never drink or leave your farm, in which case you might be the Unibomber.

Also, as far as DUI laws in general go...

Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:26:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:26:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I say bring back prohibition or at least set the legal limit to NOT ONE SINGLE DROP. I don't drink never had one in my life. The world would be a better place without you drunks.

The world would be much safer without firearms. Lets ban those too! Show them assault rifle lovin', bill of rights-enjoyin' people the way of the rest of the world!

Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:27:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Edited...VA-gunnut

Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:27:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Is it lonely upon your pedestal?
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:32:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I recall listening to a fellow on a talk radio show that claimed that there was less than 1000 ( hopefully my # is correct ) DUI fatalities per year. His organization had a challenge for $250k that could prove otherwise. His view was that life in general is inherently dangerous and that having checkpoints and an entire industry aimed at fleecing the public for this supposed crime was more of a hinderance on our freedom as Americans than a safety measure to stop drunk driving deaths.

I get his point and agree somewhat. Im certain however if I had loved ones killed by a drunk driver I presume my attitude would be quite different.

DUI laws are made to be a deterrent. I dont think as a deterrent it works very well. Would we better suited with laws that punish those who engage in drunk driving and actually cause an accident? Im sure ARFCOM will have opinions on this.

I know I don't like the gestapo like enforcement on the roads with the road blocks et al.

Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:33:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Edited...VA-gunnut

Edited...VA-gunnut
Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:33:57 AM EDT
[#17]
That is a special kind of retarded.
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:34:26 AM EDT
[#18]

DWI laws are ridiculous. Nobody reacts to a given BAC the same; some start slurring speech and stumbling about after two beers, and others are fully functional after consuming massive quantities of alcohol. Actually crashing a motor vehicle while drunk should be a crime, as should any other sort of property damage or other criminal behavior that occurs while inebriated.

Those who have had too much to drink should be allowed to pull over to the right, turn on their hazards, and drive slowly home. They are less of a threat to public safety doing that than attempting to drive normally in order to avoid a DWI...
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:34:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ya, that worked out real well last time, didnt it.

Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:35:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I recall listening to a fellow on a talk radio show that claimed that there was less than 1000 ( hopefully my # is correct ) DUI fatalities per year. His organization had a challenge for $250k that could prove otherwise. His view was that life in general is inherently dangerous and that having checkpoints and an entire industry aimed at fleecing the public for this supposed crime was more of a hinderance on our freedom as Americans than a safety measure to stop drunk driving deaths.

I get his point and agree somewhat. Im certain however if I had loved ones killed by a drunk driver I presume my attitude would be quite different.

DUI laws are made to be a deterrent. I dont think as a deterrent it works very well. Would we better suited with laws that punish those who engage in drunk driving and actually cause an accident? Im sure ARFCOM will have opinions on this.

I know I don't like the gestapo like enforcement on the roads with the road blocks et al.  

A lot of folks say similar stuff about access to guns when a loved gets shot to death.

Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:35:23 AM EDT
[#21]
ITT people who drink and drive cry about laws

Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:36:02 AM EDT
[#22]
So all of you "I can drive fine when I'm drunk" folks –– checkpoints are announced in the papers here. If your equipment isn't defective and you're driving just fine, why would you be pulled over and arrested for DWI?
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it lonely upon your pedestal?

This, what ans absurd thing to think. Hey there guy, I only use single ply toilet paper, never had the good stuff, but if I use single ply you have to as well. :finger:
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Those who have had too much to drink should be allowed to pull over to the right, turn on their hazards, and drive slowly home. They are less of a threat to public safety doing that than attempting to drive normally in order to avoid a DWI...

Or they could just not drink and then operate heavy machinery around other members of the public
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:38:58 AM EDT
[#25]
I agree with him.  

I've tested out those lil pocket breathalysers and at 0.08 I am no where near incapable of safely operating an automobile.  

They should get rid of the 0.08 and raise to to like .15 or something...but if you get into a wreck and hurt someone...may god have mercy on your soul cause your ass in going to prison for awhile.

Laws that ruin lives for stuff they didn't really do because they MAY have done it is bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:39:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

go AWAY!!!!
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:39:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

CSB.

Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:40:33 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or they could just not drink and then operate heavy machinery around other members of the public

That makes too much sense.

Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes.  5 years in state prison for DUI's.  No fines.   I agree.

Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:42:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Concur
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:43:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes too much sense.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_n_xzDBW9QLs/TQxTrfxkzEI/AAAAAAAAANY/DQT8Aj6i1os/s1600/Drunk-Driving-and-DUI-Law.jpg

Is that just a cool picture of a car wreck, or is there a story behind it?
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#32]
I think we should throw the book at people who drive while tired.  Seriously if you are tired after a day at work, you have no business in going home.

Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:44:52 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

That's a very Liberal thing to say. So before an issue impacts you, you will think about it logically, but after an issue impacts you personally, you'll base your attitudes and presumably your actions and votes on your emotional response to that?

Or are you saying that conservatives or libertarians are just not yet Liberals because no issues have had enough of an impact to correct them to the Liberal side?

That's pretty sad.

Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:45:43 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I think we should throw the book at people who drive while tired.  Seriously if you are tired after a day at work, you have no business in going home.

http://bbtsfd.net/images/fatalwreck.jpg

Agreed or if you are on other mind altering substances like caffeine or nicotine...

What about cell phones?  or loud music?

Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:46:14 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Do you approve of driving intoxicated?  Just yes or no.

Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where would you keep these people? Prisons are overfilled to the point its becoming even more dangerous for the guards.

Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know you big government types are always looking for more ways to increase taxes to pay for your pet projects, like prisons to house people who didn't hurt anyone, but where does it stop?  Prison for jaywalking?  Prison for expired tabs?  I know that incarceration is big business, but someone needs to remain on the streets to pay the taxes to support it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Personally, if I were so tired that it was going to affect my driving, I'd find somewhere to nap for 30-45 minutes in the car before driving all the way back.

Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:47:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed or if you are on other mind altering substances like caffeine or nicotine...

What about cell phones?  or loud music?    

Or diabetic, or just not very good at tasks that require coordination?

Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#40]
I don't drink, and I have never had a DUI or any other alcohol related offense, but I also recognized that when they dropped the BAC limit to .08 it was no longer about the effort. It was about the money.

I'd like to say, "In before the knee-jerk photos start pouring in", but I'm too late.
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:48:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I agree with him.  

I've tested out those lil pocket breathalysers and at 0.08 I am no where near incapable of safely operating an automobile.  

They should get rid of the 0.08 and raise to to like .15 or something...but if you get into a wreck and hurt someone...may god have mercy on your soul cause your ass in going to prison for awhile.

Laws that ruin lives for stuff they didn't really do because they MAY have done it is bullshit.

This...Plus I dont think the DUI laws and open container laws are really going to be followed for generations to come...You cant stop a statewide culture with the flick of a pen...
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

DUI laws are a joke. The limits get lowered based on declining numbers of DUI arrests, not on evidence of making us safer. Right now they just make money for the courts, insurance companies, and the biggest extortionist of the three, MADD. I wouldn't support any increase in penalties until they make the law target dangerous drivers instead of wallets.

My DUI cost me ~$10,000. A LOT of people make money off of DUI's.

I think my care o meter is broken.

Sounds like it wasn't enough...

Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:51:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That attitude resulted in the establishment of organized crime, which led to the war on drugs because the Feds had nothing to do once alcohol was legal again.

Ruined lives, murders, billions of dollars spent, most wasted, all in the name of fighting the almighty drink, and then later, drugs.

Prohibition and the resulting war on crime/alcohol/drugs caused more damage, loss of treasure and civil rights than "drunks" ever caused.
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:52:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

yep, all about the money.
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I believe in Texas you can be if you are so tired it makes you reckless. It's not DUI/DWI unless you've taken medication though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:53:28 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a very Liberal thing to say. So before an issue impacts you, you will think about it logically, but after an issue impacts you personally, you'll base your attitudes and presumably your actions and votes on your emotional response to that?

Or are you saying that conservatives or libertarians are just not yet Liberals because no issues have had enough of an impact to correct them to the Liberal side?

That's pretty sad.

I guess what I was saying is I currently dont agree with the stiffness of drunk driving laws. If my family was killed by a drunk driver my opinion may be different. Call it liberalism if you wish. I call it human nature to detest something that destroys ones life.

Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:55:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That is the damn truth. They make a chunk of  money off of DUI arrests.
Many of the legislators are attorneys and DUIs are a huge part of their business.
The courts make money, the municipalities make money, and the attorneys make money.
It's nothing more than revenue generation.
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is the damn truth. They make a chunk of  money off of DUI arrests.

Many of the legislators are attorneys and DUIs are a huge part of their business.

The courts make money, the municipalities make money, and the attorneys make money.

It's nothing more than revenue generation.

10,000 people would disagree with you every year, but they were killed by drunk driving.

Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:59:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 9:00:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I guess what I was saying is I currently dont agree with the stiffness of drunk driving laws. If my family was killed by a drunk driver my opinion may be different. Call it liberalism if you wish. I call it human nature to detest something that destroys ones life.

So if a family member gets killed by a firearm you will be joining the brady bunch?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top