Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/27/2011 8:20:30 PM EDT
I live in sunny south florida, and I've noticed over the last few years with the sour economy, that street begging has exploded. There isnt a major intersection in dade county, that does have some dude, with a sob story cardboard sign, and a cup.

I've seen "vets", single moms, unemployed fathers, even homeless newspaper teams, all crowding the car and giving the stink eye if you ignore them.

Ive always thought it was a scam, there are no shortage of shelters, food pantry's, and community centers.

Also, its interesting, its rare to see Hispanics, or Asians, pan handle, its pretty rare, usually they are selling, water, lemons, or some fruit, or crowding the home depot for work.

So just wanted to know what the hive thinks, am I scrooge or is the street beggars just scam artists who are probably make a good tax free living?

no poll.

*eta this post sponsored by

Link Posted: 3/27/2011 8:24:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Question:  Should we have another law?

Answer:  Hell no.  We've got enough laws.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Perfect answer.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

yup.

How does that saying go? A fool and his money? If someone is dumb enough to get scammed, there should not be a law to protect them from their own stupidity.

Link Posted: 3/27/2011 8:28:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I was in Vegas yesterday and there was a pan handler without his shirt on. It appeared that he had been severely burned at some point in his life. I couldn't help but think that the only reason he had his shirt off was to garner sympathy in his attempt to get money from people. I refuse to give money to beggars.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 8:28:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 8:32:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Stop giving. They will stop begging. Colorado has great signs on the off ramps that say please do not give to beggars. Give money to shelters and responsible organizations.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Does it break your leg or pick your pocket?

No?  Then it shouldn't be illegal.
That Swedish guy... he's pretty sharp.

Link Posted: 3/27/2011 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Stop giving. They will stop begging. Colorado has great signs on the off ramps that say please do not give to beggars. Give money to shelters and responsible organizations.

Love the sign thing.

Stossel just had a show on that last hour called freeloaders.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 8:40:52 PM EDT
[#9]
There are some pros making in upwards of 3-400/day panhandling. Even the tweakers and drunks are making $20/hr on average. they'll sit until they get enough for a bottle or another hit and be off.

Most cities already have laws against panhandling and vagrancy, you just need to get your local gendarmes to enforce them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#10]
As long as they take "no"  for an answer and don't get aggressive, I don't mind.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Shouldn't be illegal, but I don't give them shit.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm fine with panhandelers. They don't really bother me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#13]
No.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It's against the public order.

I don't think there should be a law against caning them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 8:57:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You ever dealt with a drunk aggressive Indian who feels he's entitled to something from you?

Link Posted: 3/27/2011 9:00:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Maybe not illegal just give them a tip, get a job,  and everyone should watch the stossel show bout freeloaders to see how us tax payers are getting raped
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 9:03:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You ever dealt with a drunk aggressive Indian who feels he's entitled to something from you?  

I'm pretty sure that "drunk and aggressive" is already illegal.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've dealt with plenty of folks with attitudes under the magic of booze. I have a problem with anyone that doesn't act civil toward me.
99% of the time, it aint a panhandeler.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have. Chances are they are breaking some other law. Call the 5-0 and cite them on that. Why do we need another law?

Link Posted: 3/27/2011 9:04:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Why lie, I need a beer!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 9:06:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That Swedish guy... he's pretty sharp.

Dude, he's Dutch...

Link Posted: 3/27/2011 9:07:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have. Chances are they are breaking some other law. Call the 5-0 and cite them on that. Why do we need another law?

True enough.

Link Posted: 3/27/2011 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

And in the post above this one, you think it should be legal to assault someone who is panhandling...
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 9:09:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Where? I haven't seen one my entire life.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

And in the post above this one, you think it should be legal to assault someone who is panhandling...

Yes.

Do you not believe in a civil and orderly society?
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#26]
I strongly believe in "No Panhandling Zones" and paying a fee for the right to panhandle.

It can ruin property values and some business corners are very lucrative.  The local government might as well recoup some of what it spends making those areas safe for panhandlers.  They are easy targets who never get mugged.

Link Posted: 3/27/2011 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Agreed, dont want anymore laws, but I just don't get it from a zoning and safety perspective. I mean, if I setup a hotdog cart on a major intersection, I will get fined, but I can stand there and beg for money, potentially get in the way of the cars.

I could careless about the asking for money, its just every damn intersection is packed with bums now, and people cutting through traffic while the light turns.

Link Posted: 3/27/2011 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where? I haven't seen one my entire life.

Boy, it was 6 years ago. I just remember getting off the freeway and seeing them. Not in or around Denver, closer to me. I will have to ask my wife.

Glenwood Springs.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.  

Which is why we need to legalize unprovoked assault.  Against certain people.  I can't think of anything more civil and orderly than that.  

In this "legal caning" society of yours, is it legal for the panhandler to defend themselves or are they supposed to stand there and say "Thanks you, may I have another?"
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  

Which is why we need to legalize unprovoked assault.  Against certain people.  I can't think of anything more civil and orderly than that.  

In this "legal caning" society of yours, is it legal for the panhandler to defend themselves or are they supposed to stand there and say "Thanks you, may I have another?"

They could just not bother anybody and there'd be no problem. What they do, that's not exactly unprovoked.

You leave people the fuck alone when they're about they're business.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 9:28:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.  

They could just not bother anybody and there'd be no problem. What they do, that's not exactly unprovoked.  

You leave people the fuck alone when they're about they're business.

What happened?  Panhandler eat your baby?
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't think I could support yet another law that curtails freedom.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Even though it's cheap, Heroin aint free, man..

Link Posted: 3/27/2011 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I don't think it's be a stretch to make the case that vagrancy, panhandling, & loitering all contribute to drug use, declining property values, and overall street crime (in SOME fashion).  I bring up all three of these things as they're all interrelated and done by the same people.

I prefer the "busket" approach, courtesy of Mr. Leary:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qZPlnV9ctQ
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 10:06:23 PM EDT
[#35]
we already have laws to take care of this.  Handled by the IRS for not paying taxes and the police for creating traffic issues and all the fucking garbage they leave in the bushes right behind them.
Arrest them all with huge community service fines.  Have them clean up these areas they destroy.  The police in Olympia harass them a great deal when it comes to there sleeping arrangements.  I see the police waking them up and getting them to move on all the time.

This guy just needs 2 dollars
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FMsNLt1azk
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 10:39:11 PM EDT
[#36]
There are plenty of people who live off of unemployment that waste their time in a house.  They can too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 12:33:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Yes, it should be limited.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 12:34:55 AM EDT
[#38]
na, if people want to give away their money to people who will spend it on drugs. Why stop them. I wish people would give me their money, I'd spend it on ammo.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 12:41:23 AM EDT
[#39]
The Tampa/St. Pete area are going thru the law issues right now. Including the Shriners and Firefighters holding a boot. No new laws, I just give them the evil eye back.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 1:13:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 1:39:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

We have too many laws.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 1:42:16 AM EDT
[#42]
There was a business that paid the aggro panhandlers a wage and free food to hold a sign instead of panhandling.
Minus a few bucks out of pocket and write off business expense it was free advertising.  FUCKING genius it was... Until the liberal dippiest got wind of it and complained saying it was degrading to homeless people...

Link Posted: 3/28/2011 1:44:30 AM EDT
[#43]
My town had the same problem.  They passed an ordinance stating that anyone caught passing money From a vehicle.  Would be fined $30.
They publicized it in the local paper, radio station, and town hall meetings.

The local corner sitting beggars dissapeared within 24 hours.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 2:24:05 AM EDT
[#44]
In my city, they passed an ordinance against 'aggressive panhandling'.

I had a guy try to intimidate me into giving him money a parking lot.....less than 100 yards from a police station.

I got to watch them come and scoop him up, and then I signed a complaint.

Two other people had called him in before I did....but I waited, at a good distance, for the police to show up.

If he has a prior, they can throw him in jail for 30 days on the second offense.

First offense is a wrist slap....but they usually keep them overnight in the jail, and if they are alcoholics or drug addicts, and they go into withdrawal, then they can keep them longer, to 'ensure their health'.

And of course, they get searched. A LOT of 'street people' have something illegal on them.

There are a bunch of ordinances like this on the books, that got passed in the past few years, in an attempt to keep petty crime and 'quality of life' issues down.

a lot of people hate laws like this...until something happens to them, or a family member.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 3:00:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
No more laws.

Link Posted: 3/28/2011 3:08:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
In my city, they passed an ordinance against 'aggressive panhandling'.

I had a guy try to intimidate me into giving him money a parking lot.....less than 100 yards from a police station.

I got to watch them come and scoop him up, and then I signed a complaint.

Two other people had called him in before I did....but I waited, at a good distance, for the police to show up.

If he has a prior, they can throw him in jail for 30 days on the second offense.

First offense is a wrist slap....but they usually keep them overnight in the jail, and if they are alcoholics or drug addicts, and they go into withdrawal, then they can keep them longer, to 'ensure their health'.

And of course, they get searched. A LOT of 'street people' have something illegal on them.

There are a bunch of ordinances like this on the books, that got passed in the past few years, in an attempt to keep petty crime and 'quality of life' issues down.

a lot of people hate laws like this...until something happens to them, or a family member.

You don't mention where you live; but if you believe that someone is carrying a firearm on their person can you call the police and have that person taken away in order that you feel safer?

How about if you find a single round of .22 short rimfire on a doorstep; can you call the police where you live and have the bomb squad section off the block and take it away for you ?

Curious, where do you live.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 3:09:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

SPOT on!
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 3:13:09 AM EDT
[#48]
I say outlaw them or beat them about the head and shoulders till they get the message. When walking down a sidewalk that my tax money maintains I'm not interested in seeing some vagrant sitting there begging for money. It is always a sign that a locality can't deal with their problems when I see a begger. That and the fact they are like Mosins....There is no such thing as just one of them....Just not as useful.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 3:15:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yep.

Just ignore them, that's what I do.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 3:36:49 AM EDT
[#50]
The ones around here chase you down at the grocery store parking lot or while you are pumping gas in your car.
There are some at the interstate intersections that have dressed up dogs at their feet.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top