Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/14/2011 5:14:45 PM EDT
Paul owns the bodega down on my corner. (No, I'm sure "Paul" is not the name that he was born with.)

When I need an insight into "Chinese stuff", he always clues me in.

Anyway... Paul isn't shedding any tears over Japan's plight. As he put it, "If it was any other country, I'd feel bad. Those people... no."

Then, we got into a discussion about Nanking. (He was surprised that an American even knew what he was talking about. "You know history" is what he said to me.)

Anyway... I guess that some wounds are slower to heal than others... 'cause Paul is still pissed about WWII.

And, I'm 42, and he can't be any older than me... probably younger.

So anyway, there's the Chinese opinion about shit going on in Japan.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I would have been tickled if you had said that he said, "My name is Paul, and this is between y'all."
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#2]
The Japanese were quite racist elitists.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:17:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Paul owns the bodega down on my corner. (No, I'm sure "Paul" is not the name that he was born with.)

Anyway... Paul isn't shedding any tears over Japan's plight. As he put it, "If it was any other country, I'd feel bad. Those people... no."

Then, we got into a discussion about Nanking. (He was surprised that an American even knew what he was talking about. "You know history" is what he said to me.)

Anyway... I guess that some wounds are slower to heal than others... 'cause Paul is still pissed about WWII.

Cool, one guy who works on a street corner speaks for the entire Chinese population of the world.
Awe-fucking-some!

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So were the Germans and I'm of Jewish descent but I have no qualms. Shit happens.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, one guy who works on a street corner speaks for the entire Chinese population of the world.
Awe-fucking-some!

Has China offered any tangible aid to Japan?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#6]
China has a long memory....they will get a pound of flesh soomer or later for what the Japs did to them in WWII.
Hell the chinese made us pay in gold to make the runways to bomb the japs. they can both eat a turd as far as im concerned. wait till the japs dump our t-bills and the chineses pile on.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:19:48 PM EDT
[#7]
This sums up arfcom's American-Azn relations perfectly:

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Paul is an ass.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#9]
China sends aid to Japan after earthquake

Symbolically significant donations are pouring in too. The Chinese Ministry of Commerce announced on Monday that China would donate about $4.5 million in humanitarian assistance as the first plane-load of blankets, tents and emergency lights flew out of Shanghai. The controversial, media-courting Chinese billionaire entrepreneur Chen Guangbiao has reportedly gone to Japan to distribute about $150,000 in aid. "Japanese rescuers moved me very much during the [Sichuan] quake," he was quoted as saying by Xinhua, the official state news agency. "Now that they are in trouble, we must help them too."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2058697,00.html#ixzz1GcvuJrt5

I guess the Chinese guy you talked to is RACIST and doesn't care about Japanese people.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:21:31 PM EDT
[#10]
There is still lots of hate for the Japanese up and down the China coast.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#11]
OP did you happen to mention Korea? Does he expect US to still be

bitter about the stuff they pulled?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Americans don't really get it.  Other cultures have a much longer memory of historical events, Asian cultures being first among them.

In other words, they hold a grudge.  Most people don't realize the Chinese and Japanese have been fighting for centuries.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#13]
You might ask Paul about the great leap forward.

Every country has its skeletons.

More importantly, your sample size is horrid.

1 out of 1.3 Billion+ is hardly enough to make any sort of conclusion about anything.

Also,

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
China sends aid ot Japan after earthquake

Symbolically significant donations are pouring in too. The Chinese Ministry of Commerce announced on Monday that China would donate about $4.5 million in humanitarian assistance as the first plane-load of blankets, tents and emergency lights flew out of Shanghai. The controversial, media-courting Chinese billionaire entrepreneur Chen Guangbiao has reportedly gone to Japan to distribute about $150,000 in aid. "Japanese rescuers moved me very much during the [Sichuan] quake," he was quoted as saying by Xinhua, the official state news agency. "Now that they are in trouble, we must help them too."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2058697,00.html#ixzz1GcvuJrt5

I guess the Chinese guy you talked to is RACIST and doesn't care about Japanese people.

I've read several stories from China where the Chinese people are basically saying "meh."
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Most Chinese and Koreans I know,  have never had kind words to say about Japan.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

In other words, they hold a grudge.  Most people don't realize the Chinese and Japanese have been fighting for centuries.
Makes me think of the Bruce Lee 'No longer the sick men of Asia' film scene against the Japanese.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

China has a long memory....they will get a pound of flesh soomer or later for what the Japs did to them in WWII.

Hell the chinese made us pay in gold to make the runways to bomb the japs. they can both eat a turd as far as im concerned. wait till the japs dump our t-bills and the chineses pile on.

Hardly as bad as what Mao did to his own people.  The Japanese are one of our best economic, cultural, and military allies.  They deserve more respect than that.  They are as much a different country today as they were 60 years before WWII as after it.  And they are responsible for as much for our success in the past 60 years as we are theirs.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
China sends aid ot Japan after earthquake

Japanese and (most) Chinese are the same race social construct.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Why are you hanging out with a Chinese dude? Everyone knows that several decades ago they did some pretty hideous shit to United Nations POWs
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Negative, culturalist perhaps. Skin check, they're of the same race, pard. Asian is asian is asian.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I give a clean slate to any country we drop an A-Bomb on.

Screw China
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:31:37 PM EDT
[#22]
My grandpa still refers to Japanese people by names that would get my account locked here.

Does that make all Americans racist? All older people?

Of course not.

Sample size of 1 = fail.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

This sums up arfcom's American-Azn relations perfectly:

Pretty much

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hardly as bad as what Mao did to his own people.  The Japanese are one of our best economic, cultural, and military allies.  They deserve more respect than that.  They are as much a different country today as they were 60 years before WWII as after it.  And they are responsible for as much for our success in the past 60 years as we are theirs.  

Didn't they start throwing us under the bus in the 90's after we helped them recover as a country post WW2 though?  I thought I remember them playing fast and loose with the value of the yen to F us a few times.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What could you possibly justify that with ?

I would agree they deserve sympathy/compassion as human beings, and you're right the current Japanese people are not the same.

It would be nice if they as a country would acknowledge their guilt instead of covering it up for years, but that alone isn't enough to hate them considering they are again, not even the same people.

But why is our success based on them? They are but one country in the world and not that signicant in world events, at least compared to giants like USA, Russia, China, etc.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

They aren't s different country. they still still don't like movin there to live. what they did in WWII makes the nazi's look like boyscouts. read up on it. it will change how you look at them. they are not our friend they are a business partner who needs our protection. a fact that they hate and will never admit. china knows american isn't going to last, they can wait and then take what they want. unlike americans they look alot farther down the road. we worry about the next election cycle.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:43:50 PM EDT
[#27]
That doesn't really surprise me.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:44:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So were the Germans and I'm of Jewish descent but I have no qualms. Shit happens.

Yeah, but few do it with the totality of the japanese.  

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awe-fucking-some!

ROC has but I don't know if the PRC has.

Also, the Chinese I know (all from PRC) think what has happened is horrible and do care.  They are all in their 20's, though.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awe-fucking-some!

Hey man, how many off-the-boat Chinese people do you know that you can touch base with to get a handle on Asian affairs?

Forgive the fuck out of me if my focus group was too fucking small for you liking, Mr. Gallup.  

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Craploads of Japanese would travel to the Phillippines and Thailand, they love their money
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What could you possibly justify that with ?

I would agree they deserve sympathy/compassion as human beings, and you're right the current Japanese people are not the same.

It would be nice if they as a country would acknowledge their guilt instead of covering it up for years, but that alone isn't enough to hate them considering they are again, not even the same people.

But why is our success based on them? They are but one country in the world and not that signicant in world events, at least compared to giants like USA, Russia, China, etc.

Outside of the points you had already mentioned, my point relating their success to ours is due to their economic and technological competitiveness and drive over the past 60 years has been mutually beneficial.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Have the Jews forgiven the Germans's on any sort of large scale? What Paul had to say is no suprise... Nor do I blame him. Folks can preach all they want, but the fact remains we're human and we hold grudges.

I'm not a big fan of the Japanese (it has something to do with strafing my Grandfather when he was on the deck of the USS West Virginia on 7 December....) but they never did anything to me.

I'm willing to live and let live, they paid for their misdeeds. They have my respect and condolences for what's happened there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Koreans aren't too fond of them either but the ROK has extended aid.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:51:15 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but few do it with the totality of the japanese.  

I dunno... when my dad was in the army, he found himself outside some southern schools right here in America and, according to him, the locals did racism really fucking well.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Asians have been treating each other like shit for eons.  The Taiwanese think Mainland China is a bunch of Mongolian half-breeds and only Taiwanese are true Chinese.

During WWII, the Japanese thought the Koreans were "dirty people".  Now Korean food is as popular in Japan as Mexican food is in the US.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Aren't they the same race?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't they start throwing us under the bus in the 90's after we helped them recover as a country post WW2 though?  I thought I remember them playing fast and loose with the value of the yen to F us a few times.

No they threw themselves under the bus.  They got cocky with the yen on one hand and traditionally tight with the other.  The asian recession also was not limited to Japan.  Japan essentially exposed the weakness of the inflated asian economies and allowed the more careful economies of asia take-off.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Negative, culturalist perhaps. Skin check, they're of the same race, pard. Asian is asian is asian.

So says Razoreye, so it must be.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why are you hanging out with a Chinese dude? Everyone knows that several decades ago they did some pretty hideous shit to United Nations POWs

Now that you mention it...

Romans killed some of my family and enslaved some of the others.

Come to think of it, I'm part Italian.

Fuck! I hate myself!

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

My grandpa still refers to Japanese people by names that would get my account locked here.

Does that make all Americans racist? All older people?

Of course not.

Sample size of 1 = fail.

My grandfather was exactly the same.  He nearly got snagged into Bataan and had to fight "out" and back into the Philippines via New Guinea, Borneo, etc.

However, it was that interaction and our subsequent cultural exchange that was very benefical to both countries for decades afterward.

The Japs have to be understood for their homogeneous culture.  Had we not essentially "forced" trade with Japan in the 19th Century...myabe things would have gone a bit differently?  Did WE create the monster empire of the "early mid" 20th century by accident???  You can go round and round about this.  Fact is...now is now.  The Japs are decent allies, very staunch and well behaved people ( some cultural weirdness aside ) with great amount of pride, repsect for one another and organization.  Are they perfect?  Hell no!!  Are WE?  

Unlike the peoples of Africa or Haiti, the Japanese are a wonderfully neat, clean CIVILIZED people.  THESE are folks that deserve our repsect and help for the sheer fact that they are so stalwart in the face of destruction.  Places like Hati and Africa should be left to reap the rewards of their slovenly heathenism.  Let them rot.

Japan?  If I ran this monkey farm, we'd be over there helping them full force while the third world rolled around in maggots like they deserve.

Of course, the piece of shit on Capitol Hill and all of his cronies won't do a god damn thing but a token "speech" and a little media horse an pony show.  But if it was "goatfuckatopia" they'd be sucking each other off to see who could ship as much of our decent food and good to the ungrateful poor filth of the world as quickly as possible....and somehow.....we'd end up looking like the bad guys AGAIN!!!!

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:00:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aren't they the same race?

I should have included my /sarcasm
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

A single American dollar?

Quoted:
Koreans aren't too fond of them either but the ROK has extended aid.

Politics.

They'll need Japan if there is ever a fight with China backing the North Koreans.

It's too bad the Japanese didn't follow the admission route the Germans took after the war. I think their culture made that difficult but it still leaves them being hated by a large number of the people that live in their part of the world.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Ask Paul if he likes Koreans, Vietmanese, Cambodians....I travel to China quite a bit over the years, it seems all asian are prejudiced against all other asians. Ask Paul if he even likes people from Shanghai. That caught me off guard.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Americans don't really get it.  Other cultures have a much longer memory of historical events, Asian cultures being first among them.

So I guess the Blacks are right and should be pissed at the White race. Guess we should  pay reperations to them.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:44:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The Japanese were are quite racist elitists.

FIFY.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I guess the Blacks are right and should be pissed at the White race. Guess we should  pay reperations to them.

I figure blacks will stop being pissed off at whites about the same time Southerners stop being pissed off at the "Yankee Invaders."
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

1 opinion out of 1,600,000,0000.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I figure blacks will stop being pissed off at whites about the same time Southerners stop being pissed off at the "Yankee Invaders."

Pssh, like that will ever happen.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top