Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 3:52:39 PM EDT
What steps have you taken, or even heard about that you want to implement?

I live in a one story home with a ton of older windows. Right now I'm mostly relying on solar window screens(to delay and make noise) and 4 dogs.

Window films look cool, but are $$$ when you have a ton of windows to do.

Fun plant suggestions?

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't looked around yet but I'm planning on putting bars on the gun room of my new house.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Barberry shrubs.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:12:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Barberry shrubs.

but nothing too nice or expensive...

NI!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Try punji sticks.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#5]
On the windows that don't have plantation shutters on my ground floor, (garage,) I have the Gila privacy film applied. It blocks out vision through the windows but allows you to see out; also it reduces heat and some UV Rays. The film isn't that expensive, $20 for a roll that will do two windows. I have security pins in every window of the house backed up with glass-break sensors tied into the security system.

Doors are where you need to be concerned, make sure you have reinforced door gaurds/jams. YMMV

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:31:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm interested in securing my house better. I figured most crooks would rather go through a window than a door because even poorly secured doors tend to be harder to get into than well secured windows. Am I mistaken?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:36:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm interested in securing my house better. I figured most crooks would rather go through a window than a door because even poorly secured doors tend to be harder to get into than well secured windows. Am I mistaken?

Yes, I believe you're mistaken. Most windows are double-panes and have slats in them that require extra force; it would take a crook longer to get through one of those where a patio door would be easier.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:39:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I would like to find some window film that does what the OP above says it does, (heat out-cold in, see out-can't see in) but that also gives the window some strength against breaking.
Kind of like that film that was posted about here a while ago, and someone put up a video of a guy smashing a store front glass door.

Is there a product out there that can do all of these things. I don't really care about keeping the heat in-cold out thing, but I like the idea of being able to see out, and no one can see in.
I have two full Atrium glass doors on the back deck of my house. One doesn't move, and the door swings inward. This is one of my biggest concerns even with ADT.

OP who uses the film mentioned above, does the film make your home darker or keep sun light out a lot or not at all?
What is the product name that you are using anyway?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:54:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I had the 3M window film professionally applied a year or 2 ago.  I like it.  It keeps the sun out which was beating on that side of the house, makes it hard to see in and provides protection for smahs and grab.

I live on a greenbelt and a few neighbors had breakins on the back of their homes, so I did the film and also thin steel door plates for the door.

It cost me $1100 to do 5 windows and the window in the patio door - not cheap.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:01:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would like to find some window film that does what the OP above says it does, (heat out-cold in, see out-can't see in) but that also gives the window some strength against breaking.
Kind of like that film that was posted about here a while ago, and someone put up a video of a guy smashing a store front glass door.

Is there a product out there that can do all of these things. I don't really care about keeping the heat in-cold out thing, but I like the idea of being able to see out, and no one can see in.
I have two full Atrium glass doors on the back deck of my house. One doesn't move, and the door swings inward. This is one of my biggest concerns even with ADT.

OP who uses the film mentioned above, does the film make your home darker or keep sun light out a lot or not at all?
What is the product name that you are using anyway?

Thanks!

This is the stuff I used, I prefer the 'black' over the 'mirrored' but they both do the same thing.

Privacy Control Black
•Creates daytime privacy & room darkening
•Peel & Cling application - installs easier & contains no adhesive
•Helps reduce fading to interior furnishings
•Rejects up to 99% of UV rays
•Reduces glare
•Available sizes:
◦3' x 6.5' – covers 1 standard window

http://www.gilafilms.com/en/Privacy-Window-Film.aspx

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#11]
tag
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:38:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://www.gorell.com/pages/preventing_home_breakins.htm
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Alarmed wired to the windows, glass break detector, motion detectors.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:42:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

70+ % of break ins are through the door.

To follow up on the door part, I use these on my outside doors.

Door Armor
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:00:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I believe you're mistaken. Most windows are double-panes and have slats in them that require extra force; it would take a crook longer to get through one of those where a patio door would be easier.

I'm with you on the arcadia door thing. I'm looking to replace ours with French doors and a stout security screen. I'm thinking of your average plain double pane energy efficient window vs. your typical steel clad, solid core deadbolted entryway. There is a lot you could do to upgrade either but I think those are both pretty typical.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with you on the arcadia door thing. I'm looking to replace ours with French doors and a stout security screen. I'm thinking of your average plain double pane energy efficient window vs. your typical steel clad, solid core deadbolted entryway. There is a lot you could do to upgrade either but I think those are both pretty typical.

My new house had three French doors which are horrible from a security standpoint. Without replacing them the best option was to reinforce them with some type of door reinforcement, the Door Armor seems to be the best designed of the stuff I looked at. That said, it will only slow down a would-be crook not stop them cold. That's why I have the alarm and 'other' measures to stop or dissuade.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:12:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My new house had three French doors which are horrible from a security standpoint. Without replacing them the best option was to reinforce them with some type of door reinforcement, the Door Armor seems to be the best designed of the stuff I looked at. That said, it will only slow down a would-be crook not stop them cold. That's why I have the alarm and 'other' measures to stop or dissuade.

Agreed. The French doors would only be marginally more secure than the arcadia door but the steel security door outside would make a big difference. While you can put one over an arcadia door, it looks like shit which is why we want to change the door first.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top