Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2002 7:42:06 PM EDT
A can of Bush's Bold & Spicy that I put some cut up hotdogs in...YUM!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:45:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Would you get the can and tell me how much protein those beans have in them?  No, I am serious! [;)]
View Quote

Ok, I'll bite......
6 grams. Why?
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sounds like you had a lousy dinner.

View Quote

[:D] Too lazy to go to the store...it was in the cabinet. I like them tho, plus,
they make me "crowd friendly"!
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#5]
doublefeed,
beanns are a better source of fiber and clean carbohydrates more so than a protein source.
the protein in beans is an incomplete protein and does not have the necessary branch chain amino acid that milk,egg, and meat protein have.
when eaten with a whole grain such as brown rice the body will metabolize some of it as a bcaa.
one 12 oz can of beans will yeild aprox 26 grms of protein,of which the body may metabolize6-8 gms as a complete protein when eaten with a whole grain.
rescue92
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Soulzer, I am on a self motivated weight program, and I am going from being a complete moron about fitness and nutrition, to knowing something.
rescue, thank you [:)]
View Quote

Fitness...Blasphemy!

That's cool tho - good luck!
I remember fitness........
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#9]
doublefeed,
are trying to loose weight?
rescue92
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Beans Beans
The magical fruit
The more you eat
The more you TOOT!
View Quote

The more you toot
the better you feel
so eat more beans with every meal!
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I save that stuff for my SHTF days.
[IMG]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/otn/other/pacscat.gif[/IMG]
View Quote

What's the shelf life of a can of beans?
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#14]
[IMG]http://www.colute.net/cwm/contrib/legionxs/fart.gif[/IMG]
-T.[:D]

Edit: Oops.. I posted the wrong smiley previously...
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[IMG]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/otn/other/pacscat.gif[/IMG]
View Quote

View Quote

I don't know for sure. But if I was hungry and came across a can of five year old beans, I'd eat it.
View Quote

Brings up memories of the dog food from Road Warrior....[:D]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
[IMG]http://www.contrabandent.com/cwm/s/contrib/legionxs/munky.gif[/IMG]

-T.[:D]

Edit: The fart smilie wishes not to work tonight. Damn.
View Quote

toaster: It's the thought that counts!
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I have some canned pork & beans that is 10 years old, and it is still doesn't have a bulge or leaked yet. But I think a lot of it depends on the tempature that it was stored in; the higher the temp, the shorter the self life. If you are saving your beans for SHTF, don't forget the rice, I get those Uncle Ben's or similar pre-cocked rice, it costs a little more, but you don't have to waste too much energy heating the stuff up; and you can eat it cold if you have to. Eating is seperating doesn't help, from what I understand you have eat them together to get the complete protein. Remember in the  old cowboy movies, they eat cornbread and beans together by the campfire?
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#19]
doublefeed,
the amount of beans and rice you would have to eat to get a decent amount of protein would have you to high on the carbohydrates and you would end up gaining fat from the unburned carbo's.
use the beans for the fiber and carbo source but don't rely on them for a protein source,you won't get much from them other than people giving you funny looks when you pass gas while your doing full squats.
start your day off,first thing when you wke up with a protein shke,44 gms of whey protein,i add about 2 tablespoons of honey to get that insulin shock so it will be carried to muscle mass.
2-3 hours after that cook 6 egg whites,and eat a full grain cereal like oat meal or grape nuts.
2-3 hours later another shake with a couple of bagels.
2-3 hours after that some white meat chicken breast at least 8 oz,with some cottage cheese and a salad,and some cooked brown rice,canned tuna(get white albacore,tatses better) works good if you can't do the chicken.
2-3 hours after that more chicken or tuna with a carbo,beans or rice.
make sure you get good carbos so your body won't catabolize muscle for it's energy source.
this is what happenes during sleep if you don't get carbo's before you go to bed,don't over do the carbo's at bedtime though=fat.
you body will metabolize around 40 gms of protein at a time it varies though from person to person(genetics)the rest is poop.
40 gms of protein every 3 hours with you workout and you will gain muscle.
also you HAVE to ingest fat to gain muscle as well,also gain a little fat as well.
body builders don't look that way year round they would die from a lack of essential oil's that you get from fish and nuts,which you can add to the above diet recommendation or supplement with flax seed oil,1 table spoon prior to each meal.
1 whole gram of ginger added to your diet will help the body metabolize protein as well.
rescue92
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 8:24:34 PM EDT
[#20]
my favorite are the white chunks of pork fat...mmmmm melts in your mouth.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Eating is seperating doesn't help, from what I understand you have eat them together to get the complete protein. Remember in the  old cowboy movies, they eat cornbread and beans together by the campfire?
View Quote

I thought that was to get those "Blazing Saddles" flames going! [:D]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 8:32:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
my favorite are the white chunks of pork fat...mmmmm melts in your mouth.
View Quote

When I was a kid, I ate that once.....I damn near died!
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:00:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A can of Bush's Bold & Spicy that I put some cut up hotdogs in...YUM!!
View Quote

mmmmmmmmmmm............I love this combo.  Used to eat it several times a week when I was broke.  I still love it!

medcop
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 6:12:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eating is seperating doesn't help, from what I understand you have eat them together to get the complete protein. Remember in the  old cowboy movies, they eat cornbread and beans together by the campfire?
View Quote

I thought that was to get those "Blazing Saddles" flames going! [:D]
View Quote

That was a great Mel Brooks movie. He is a good example of the what they call "dry American humour." I was think the samething myself, all those cowboys sitting around the campfire farting. Great minds think alike.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 6:29:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 6:57:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 7:24:37 AM EDT
[#28]
I wonder how many grams of protein the can of hormel chili had that I ate in the "Build Up Your Post Count" thread?  I'm having corn dogs for lunch today, anyone interested in hearing about it? [:)]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 8:35:30 AM EDT
[#29]
As my 6yo boy says "MMmmm...Yummy... BEANS the real Cowboy grub"![:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top