Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2002 10:50:37 AM EDT
The Weekly Standard
05/08/2002

The Big Jenin Lie
The only good thing about the Jenin "massacre" was watching the propaganda being debunked in record time.
by Richard Starr

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/001/218vnicq.asp

PRECISELY A MONTH AGO, on April 8, the Palestinian news agency Wafa was reporting that Israel had committed the "massacre of the 21st century" in the Palestinian refugee camp in Jenin. "Medical sources" informed Wafa of "hundreds of martyrs." This was a lie, concocted not only for local consumption--to keep the Palestinian people whipped up in a patriotic, Israel-hating frenzy--but mostly for export to the West.

That same day, you could hear breathless reports of the supposed Israeli atrocities in Jenin being spread by Palestinian sources on NPR, CNN, and elsewhere. Typical was the hysteria of Nasser al-Kidwa, the Palestinian representative to the United Nations, on CNN: "There's almost a massacre now taking place in Jenin. Helicopter gun ships are throwing missiles at one square kilometer packed with almost 15,000 people in a refugee camp. . . . Just look at the TV and watch, watch what the--what the Israel forces are doing. . . . This is a war crime, clear war crime, witnessed by the whole world, preventing ambulances, preventing people from being buried. I mean this is an all-out assault against the whole population."

No, this was an all-out assault on the truth. There was a pitched battle in Jenin. But the "hundreds" of martyrs were a cynical invention. The death toll was 56 Palestinians, the majority of them combatants, and 23 Israeli soldiers.

Unlike the celebrated foreign-dispatch lies of the 20th century--the New York Times's Walter Duranty Pulitzer-winning cover-up of Stalin's murderous Ukraine famine, say, or Herbert Matthews's 1957 reports of Senor Fidel Castro's hopes for a "democratic Cuba"--the Jenin fraud has been almost entirely inflated and then deflated in the short space of a month. I think it's safe to say that no one will win a Pulitzer for reporting on the (non-existent) "massacre of the 21st century." This was amateur-hour propaganda, and any reporter who fell for it should be mortified.

Mostly that means British reporters. Full credit to the Guardian for allowing Sharon Sadeh to administer a well-deserved flogging to Fleet Street in its pages on Monday. "The Independent, the Guardian and the Times, in particular," writes Sadeh, "were quick to denounce Israel and made sensational accusations based on thin evidence, fitting a widely held stereotype of a defiant, brutal and don't-give-a-damn Israel." You can read the whole satisfying piece here.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 10:51:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Not that American reporters were without sin. Screenwriter Daniel Jordan's description of the ax-grinding media in action is also worth a click. My favorite part is his description of this encounter between CNN's Sheila MacVicar and an Israeli soldier in Jenin:

"One [Israeli] reservist sensed MacVicar's hostility. He was a soft-spoken man who approached her and introduced himself as the reserve unit's medical officer, Dr. David Zangen. He told her that when the fighting was over, they found photograph albums of children from roughly 6 years of age up through early and mid-teens. It was an album of photos of children who would be the next crop of suicide killers, with notations indicating when each of the children would be ripe. The reporter had no time for the doctor, however.

"'Perhaps you should ask yourself why,'" she said, dismissing him.

"'I do, madam,' he said, 'I ask myself why. I can't imagine it. I can't imagine sending one's child out to be a mass murderer who commits suicide to kill women and children.'

"'Well, I can explain it,' said the reporter. 'For me it all comes down to one word, "occupation."'

"'But madam,' the doctor said, 'Jenin hasn't been occupied for nine years.'"

Oops.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 12:08:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Ouch.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 1:09:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Uh-oh. That's what happens when cold hard reality bumps up against liberal daydreaming.

And just consider, the CNN biotch [u]thinks[/u] she knows more about the area than everyone else in Christendom.

Arghhh!

Eric The(Maranatha!LordComeQuickly)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 1:17:21 PM EDT
[#4]
You know, all this talk about if there was a massaccer or not is deflecting notice from something else...

That the IDF got its ass handed to it in this camp...

Then sent in a battalion task force with armor, engineer, and air support and stil managed to loose 23 men and only kill 55 Palistinians- mostly but not ALL combatants.

Compare that to MOG- fought in almost the same kind of urban ghetto terrain- where one company team with limited air support lost only 18 men while killing what? 600-1200.

What the hell went on in Jenin?

But it certainly looks like all the years of doing basicly police work have cost the IDF its combat edge...
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#5]
That is what happens when a limited action is undertaken.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top