Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2002 3:24:26 PM EDT
I've been struggling with the congnitive dissonance of knowing how unhealthy smoking is while continuing to smoke. I've rationalized and justified as much as I can. But I think it's finally time to just quit.

I've been able to work my way down to about a pack every other day. But just the thought of giving it up entirely is agonizing. So, as I have with so many other topics, I turn to you all to see what advice, tips, suggestions, benefit of experience you may have to offer.

Some specific things I'm considering are things like the patch or nicotine gum (any insight into whether these work and which might be better?). My ex-wife recommended a few homeopathic / herbal remedies but I'm not too sure about those.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#1]
ronin--try to stop inhaling. Sounds funny i know. I quit smoking Jan 1st of this year but i smoke cigars, don't inhale but it takes the edge off. Soon I'll quit those too. I would stay away from pathetic homos tho. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#2]
step 1

Do not put a weed filled paper tube in your mouth.

Step 2.

If you mess up on step 1 do not light said tube on fire.

Step 3.

If you have blown the above two steps...Do not inhale.

Step 4.

If you really cannot manage it...visit a hospital and speak with people dying of lung cancer or emphazima
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#3]
This is the way I did it.

First I tried cold turkey...
I made it for three + days.  Just prior to going on some sort of killing rampage I started back up.  I consider the three days as a valuable learning tool to determine just how bad the withdraw symptoms can be.  

Two weeks later I started the Patch.  I like the patch because you can still get the nicotine while dealing with the psychological addictions...  smoking after a meal, first thing in the morning etc.  The desires are still there but it takes the edge off.  Do something different during those times and it helps.  A new "tradition" if you will.

The hardest part is when you "step down" from one patch to the one with less nicotine.  Definite physical withdrawls.  Hot flashes, grumpy as hell, everyone sucks, etc... BUT these are to a far lesser degree than the "3-day cold turkey" symptoms before.  The first three days of each nicotine downgrade are the worst.  If you get past them... you're set.  

I used each set of patches for 1 week instead of the recommended two or three.  I didn't want to get comfortable enough to slip up.  But that's just me.

Good luck.  These are my experiences still fresh in my mind as I quit last Thanksgiving.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#4]
The patch is pretty good. It takes the edge off and generally keeps you from going insane. The best thing I found was to use the patch and then start an exercise program. Also, avoid alcohol and caffeine while you're quitting.

Even with the patch, the first few days are not wonderful, but it's no where near as bad as cold turkey.

You may not need to follow the entire program either. They start at 21mg. and work down to something like 14mg. I don't remember exactly. The only thing that pisses me off about the patch is if you follow the program, as the patches get weaker they become more expensive. What a joke! And you can't just buy a box of patches. Every box contains the same casette tape, or CD-ROM, or pamplet, so in the end you waste a lot of money on that crap and end up having 10 copies of the same tape or CD. Anyway, they rip you off, but in the long run you'll save a lot more money if you quit and you'll live longer to enjoy it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Like Mark Twain (Samuel C) said, "What, quit smoking? It's easy! I've done it thousands of times."

Dave S

I did it for the final time three years ago this month. I had a dose of I don't know for a couple of days and couldn't smoke or eat but drank Power & Gator juice, sweated and slept.  So, there was no heroics on this bout.  When I felt better and wanted to light up I honestly just decided to use the money on AR-10s, Bushmasters...........and try to outlive the wife out of spite.  Best wishes and I will say a prayer whether you want one or not.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I have tried to quit cold before, takes way more willpower than I had.  The gum didn't do a thing for me.  The patch was ok, but it messed up my sleeping habits badly (24-hour kind).  In the end I used Zyban.  It worked so well for me that after 3-4 days, I was forgetting to take smoke breaks.  I makes you a little jittery at first, but that goes away after the first week.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 4:32:52 PM EDT
[#8]
You guys might shit when you hear this....

I have been smoking for the last year. About a half a pack a day. Sometimes less, sometimes more.

Last week, to see if I could quit or not, I decided not to smoke for 7 days to see what everbody always whines about. Maybe it is just me, but after the first day, I was perfectly fine 100%.

I have since started again (keep your panties on) out of habbit. You know, always have your coffee in the morning, etc. Just a routine.

Ain't I lucky?
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Nicotine gum did the trick for me. It provides a nicotine fix when the craving is real bad, rather than maintaining a constant blood level like patched do.
Keep some with you, 4 mg pieces. When you want a frajo pop a piece in and chew untill you get nauseated then spit it out and feel like a dip sh!t for ever starting in the first place. After a while , with a little luck you will get really pissed off at how you have been addicted to nicotine, putting $$$ in the tax rolls,damaging yourself, coulda had a boat for what you have spent,,,,,,,
  Spend the 30 bux on the box.
Tobacco free since '99
Lebrew
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#11]
ComputerGuy-- Riiigght.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I tried the gum, I tried the patch, I tried the other thing that was supposed to take away the desire.  The only thing that worked for me was prayer.  Every day for 5 months, "Please Lord, I don't want to smoke any more."  One day, I decided not to smoke all the way home which was a 1.25 hour drive.  I even stopped and bought 2 packs of smokes (they're still in my glove box.)  That will be 5 years ago this July.  If you don't go cold turkey, you're just lying to yourself:  same drug, different source.

YMMV

P.S.  Forgot to add: GOOD LUCK!
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#13]

i have the perfect cure for you:

[b] HAVE A HEART ATTACK ! [/b]

worked for me. quit smoking a second afterwards.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Hmmm..... Box of Rem UMC .223 @ Walmart is $3.97, pack of smokes relatively close. 365 boxes of ammo to blow up at range!
Mind over matter--sounds hard to do , but it is the only way to quit. It is harder for some than others. Physical addiction ceases at around 72 hrs, rest of it is mental.
That is how I would look at it, box of shells for every pack. How many pre-bans you smoke in a year?
[whacko]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Dont know that it actually works, but a guy I used to work with swears that hypno-therapy worked for him.  He told me he smoked for about 20 years before he tried the hypno-therapy and he has been smoke free for about 5 years now.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:43:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Just play with yourself every time you think about lighting up (self-abuse).
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#17]
The last time I quit (7 years ago) I used the patch. I had tried cold turkey and gum before that and went back to lighting up soon after. As others have already said, quit drinking, and start exercising. Stay busy so that you don't dwell on how bad you want to light up. I think I was on the patch for 4 weeks and have not smoked since.
You can do it.

ARH
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#18]
What worked for me, was getting into a regular exercise routine. I started off just walking, and proceeded to ease into jogging. It's amazing on how good you feel after a workout, and having a smoke is the last thing on your mind. I never was a heavy smoker, 2-3 packs a week, but it was definitely progressing into a full blown habit. I wish you luck.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:05:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Did you ever think about dipping Skoal. They have this new flavor out called berry blend its really good.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
ComputerGuy-- Riiigght.
View Quote

I swear on my life I am dead serious.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Ronin
Try this, your desire to smoke maybe be related to two separate issues. One might be the nicotine the other maybe be the need to have something to fiddle with. My solution was to start different bad habits that are less harmful. Chew toothpicks for example. Just don't start biting your nails, that is even harder to stop. Your nails are free and follow you everywhere 24-7 to chew on.

I don't have much faith in the patch because everyone that I knew that tried it ended up wearing 3 or 4 patches, still bingeing for nicotine.

My problem wasn't the nicotine as much as the finding something to replace the fixation of taking a break and going and having a cigarette. Now that they make us smoke outside, the thought of going outside, getting some air and sun has become an enjoyable routine, not to mention the social aspect. I know it sounds lame, but smoking is as much a lifestyle as an addiction. The lifestyle might be harder to change that the addiction. I think if you can quit the smoking lifestyle the addiction will die off on it's own.

Just promise me you won't sue a tobacco company if you die, that is chicken shit. LOL
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#22]
You could always do something to get arrested. They don't allow smoking in jail/prison anymore, so quitting would be forced.[:)]

Seriously, good luck. I have tried a few times and have not been succesful. I did gain 15 pounds during one try though. Eating is not a good substitute.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top