BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2002 9:57:52 AM EDT
[URL]http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWSLaw0204/18_cat-cp.html[/URL]

Cat mutilators sentenced

Animal rights advocates outraged about perceived light sentences
By NANCY CARR-- Canadian Press

TORONTO (CP) -- Animal-rights activists were outraged Thursday after a man convicted of skinning and torturing a live cat was freed from jail and his accomplice was sentenced to what they considered a "grounding."

Anthony Wennekers, 25, was sentenced to the time he has already served in the downtown Don Jail since his arrest almost a year ago.

Jesse Power, 22, was sentenced to 90 days' jail time to be served on weekends, plus house arrest requiring him to stay in his home except to attend school and work, followed by three years on probation.

Both men were charged with cruelty to animals and mischief. The cruelty charge carries a maximum sentence of six months; the mischief charge, a maximum of two years. The Crown sought a 21/2-year sentence for both Power and Wennekers.

Their sentencing follows a trial in which a gruesome videotape of their crimes was played to the courtroom, bringing spectators to tears.

For 15 minutes, the men and one other, who remains at large, hung a cat by its neck from a telephone cord, slit its throat, stabbed, kicked and skinned it. They then plucked out its eye with a dental tool and ripped off its ear with a pair of pliers.

To gasps of horror, Ontario Court Judge Ted Ormston told the packed, tearful courtroom Thursday he didn't sentence the men to the maximum time allowed because he felt their crime was not the worst offence possible.

"There are worse ways that this cat could have died," said Ormston, who took more than two weeks to deliberate the sentence.

HMMMMM..... I dont know what to thinkabout this one!? [>:/]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#1]
[img]http://www.spearweasel.com/images/ljkitty.jpg[/img]

Even if I weren't a cat lover, I know that this sort of behavior usually is a early indicator of much worse. These two fools probably ought to have the same done to them as they did to the cat. Personally, I'd just put a bullet through their fucking heads and spare some hitchhiker or child from being abducted, tortured and then dumped in a shallow grave a few years from now.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Sick bastards.  Probably not the first or last time they'll be involved in some kind of torture.  Disturbing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#3]
That judge is right - there are worse ways the cat could have died.  For instance, the poor cat could've been stroked to death by PETA activists in a videotaped incident, then heavily publicized in an attempt to elicit the public's sympathy and in turn convince them to support 'animal rights' laws which can later be used against pet owners, farmers, hunters, etc.

Such as, for instance, Bill C-15, presently split in two parts before our House of Parliament.  

But surely nobody would torture a cat to swing public opinion behind a bill that could be used to ban hunting?!  After all, the lieberals say they're only going to spend a billion dollars by the end of 2005 on the rightly unpopular Firearms Act.  They clearly enjoy us having firearms, hunting, and so on.  And farmers!  They're the bedrock of support for that party, let me tell you. ;)

Wow, a billion of our tax dollars.  Think they'd also be underhanded enough throw in a video camera, a couple kids with no conscience and sacrifice a cat?

Link Posted: 5/6/2002 10:38:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That judge is right - there are worse ways the cat could have died.  For instance, the poor cat could've been stroked to death by PETA activists in a videotaped incident, then heavily publicized in an attempt to elicit the public's sympathy and in turn convince them to support 'animal rights' laws which can later be used against pet owners, farmers, hunters, etc.

Such as, for instance, Bill C-15, presently split in two parts before our House of Parliament.  

But surely nobody would torture a cat to swing public opinion behind a bill that could be used to ban hunting?!  After all, the lieberals say they're only going to spend a billion dollars by the end of 2005 on the rightly unpopular Firearms Act.  They clearly enjoy us having firearms, hunting, and so on.  And farmers!  They're the bedrock of support for that party, let me tell you. ;)

Wow, a billion of our tax dollars.  Think they'd also be underhanded enough throw in a video camera, a couple kids with no conscience and sacrifice a cat?

View Quote

Wow!  That's got to win the award of "Conspiracy Theory of the Week".

[img]http://www.colute.net/cwm/contrib/edoom/spacecraft.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 5/6/2002 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#6]
ok ok.....

Is it  illegal to kill “any” animal, if you are going to eat it?  Could the way you kill such animals be illegal (Cruelty to animals) , even if the end result is for food?

[>:/]

Link Posted: 5/6/2002 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
ok ok.....

Is it  illegal to kill “any” animal, if you are going to eat it?  Could the way you kill such animals be illegal (Cruelty to animals) , even if the end result is for food?

View Quote

If one is going to use the animal for food, IMO it is one's duty to make the kill as painless and as quick as possible...Most hunters I know feel the same way...there is no need nor place for needless suffering. I refuse to take a shot on a deer that I even think may not result in a clean, quick kill...there will be other deer.

These two did their act for nothing more than the sick pleasure of killing the cat, and causing as much pain to the animal as they could doing it. It's a pretty common pattern to see that eventually animals aren't enough for sick f*cks like these two pieces of gnatshit, and they eventually turn to harming humans to get themselves off. These two deserve a one way trip out of the gene pool to the special place in Hell for sick assholes that can torture an animal like that. I agree with Spearweasel...put a bullet in their head and leave 'em for the buzzards.
Bastards.

JMO, YMMV.
Pit
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 11:51:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I have posted a lot of crap about cats on this site, all of it in jest.  However, what these two people did was way beyond cruel.  Suppostedly they did it in the name of "art", whatever the crap that means.

Then again I am not surprised.  Todays society values any life very little now a days.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#10]
WOW.
i, too have joked about catkilling, but this is fucking sick.
am i the only one scared by the frequency of these events?
if u don't know what i mean, read some of the books by John Douglas of the FBI's profiling unit.  things like this just get bigger as the psycho progresses.(mind hunter, journey into darkness, obsession) psycho killer types always start out this way.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#11]
The cat should have killed them!!

[img]http://www.sinistralrifleman.com/donttouchcat.jpg[/img]

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
ok ok.....

View Quote

Are you assuming that these sickos were intending to eat the cat?

These whackos skinned the cat alive!!!  No hunter (or even a very hungry non-hunter) would dream of inflicting that brand of suffering on a living thing, unless they were insane and derived a sick pleasure from hurting something weaker than themselves.

Here in Denver about a year ago, some other twisted individuals set a cat on fire and threw it from a moving car.  Were they being cruel to an animal?  Yes.  Did they need to BBQ a cat alive for their subsistence.  No.  Did they intend to eat the cat?  No.  Will they likely switch from harming animals to harming people next time?  Probably, yes.

I guess I haven't really answered your questions, but I don't see how they relate to the story you posted.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 12:31:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I wonder if the judge will use the same reasoning when he sentences a murderer? "I'm sentencing you to 3 years in prison for the abduction, blinding, flaying, torturing, and murder of Jane Doe. The reason I'm being so lenient with you is you could have murdered her in a more gruesome manner. You be good from now on!"
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sometimes, when I hear about sick bastards like this, I'm almost ashamed to be a human being.
Maybe it's a good thing we haven't discovered any other intelligent life in the Universe yet.
How the hell would we explain these creeps?
View Quote

We could tell them we are working on legislation to use these sickos as live target practice for our armed forces.

There's no down side to this really. We get rid of human waste (literally) and our armed forces get trained, without having to spend tax dollars on those $2.00 silouette targets.

I haven't figgered out yet what to do with the corpses. Maybe the aliens would be willing to eat them for us.

Link Posted: 5/6/2002 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#17]
If it were my cat I'd say just let 'em go.  Umm, what was their address?  

[heavy]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 1:03:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Why do these cat topics get so many replies? I mean come on, what they did was awful and they should be punished but it was just a cat. I get sick and tired of news that reads as:
   (serious voice) A small kitten was kicked today by a 16 year old maniac, we will have updates at 5 and 10. If you wish to donate to help defray the $14,000 medical bill please contact us at 567-3456. The "protect the cats 2002" rally will continue as planed but will be dedicated to Terri the kitten. The rally is expecting it's usual attendance of over 5,000 people. For updates on Terri please stay tuned to channel 5 news.
(pause)
(normal voice)On a lighter note, 6 people were murdered downtown last night, genocide continues in many areas of the world and 43 school children were killed on the way home from school today.
(pause)
Good night, and please keep Terri in your prayers.
View Quote

Sickens me.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why do these cat topics get so many replies? I mean come on, what they did was awful and they should be punished but it was just a cat. I get sick and tired of news that reads as:
   (serious voice) A small kitten was kicked today by a 16 year old maniac, we will have updates at 5 and 10. If you wish to donate to help defray the $14,000 medical bill please contact us at 567-3456. The "protect the cats 2002" rally will continue as planed but will be dedicated to Terri the kitten. The rally is expecting it's usual attendance of over 5,000 people. For updates on Terri please stay tuned to channel 5 news.
(pause)
(normal voice)On a lighter note, 6 people were murdered downtown last night, genocide continues in many areas of the world and 43 school children were killed on the way home from school today.
(pause)
Good night, and please keep Terri in your prayers.
View Quote

Sickens me.
View Quote

It was just a homeless dog.
It was just a homeless person.
It was just a homosexual.
It was just someone I don't know.

It's not about cats/dogs etc. It's about some of the sick perverse scum in society that should be permanently removed for the good of society.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#21]
A more appropriate punishment would be for them to eat the remains...  all of it..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top