Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2011 4:07:49 AM EDT
For a week now, they've been hyping it up, and hyping it up. Snowpocalypse! Snomaggeddon! Blizzard of '11!! Buy milk! buy bread! buy a generator! Every school in the fucking state is going to close! AAAAHHH!!!! We're all going to die!!! OMGWTFBBQ!!!

The forecast has ranged from 12" to 19" predicted snowfall. white-out conditions! Thundersnow! Oh My God you'd have to be a complete nutter to even step foot outside your door! Hunker down in the basement with your family! it's the only way to survive!!

I wake up this morning, there's maybe 3" of show on the ground. drifting in spots to.... about 6". What a fucking buzzkill. Fuck it. I have zero excuse to stay home. off to work I go.

Next time, they should just look into the camera and yell Wolf! as much as they can. it'll save us all a lot of time.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:09:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
For a week now, they've been hyping it up, and hyping it up. Snowpocalypse! Snomaggeddon! Blizzard of '11!! Buy milk! buy bread! buy a generator! Every school in the fucking state is going to close! AAAAHHH!!!! We're all going to die!!! OMGWTFBBQ!!!

The forecast has ranged from 12" to 19" predicted snowfall. white-out conditions! Thundersnow! Oh My God you'd have to be a complete nutter to even step foot outside your door! Hunker down in the basement with your family! it's the only way to survive!!

I wake up this morning, there's maybe 3" of show on the ground. drifting in spots to.... about 6". What a fucking buzzkill. Fuck it. I have zero excuse to stay home. off to work I go.

Next time, they should just look into the camera and yell Wolf! as much as they can. it'll save us all a lot of time.

Looks like we didn't get the snow they expected either. They were calling ~ 20" . Looks like quite a bit less.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:09:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:09:47 AM EDT
[#3]
it's gonna be 70 degrees here in virginia today....
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:11:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know... It's fucking cold here!  (37*)
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:11:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I got a lot of txts this morning from my southern buddys wanting to know if I am still alive.

Apparently they sent out a message to everyone down there that the north would not survive this one.

I started the little Civic and motored my usual 75-85mph to work.

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:14:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:14:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sounds like you fell victim to Accuweather?? if so, you've lived, you'll learn!

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:15:23 AM EDT
[#8]
They used to look at radar. They used to look at historic patterns. They, a person, used to really dive in and try to predict the weather.

Now all you hear is "the model shows this and the model shows that".

Look. I know predicting the weather is hard. Harder than hard. Stuff is unpredictable.   But it sure seemed better when people tried to predict the weather and not a computer program.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:15:31 AM EDT
[#9]
When asked why his forecasts were wrong so often, one of our local weather-guessers (who was later fired for heroin use) said, "It's hard!"
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:16:33 AM EDT
[#10]
They forecast 3-6 for yesterday and 15-20 for today.  We got <1" yesterday, nothing today.  Now they're saying ice only.  Boring.  Though I do like driving in the ice.    I am a diesel drifting master.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:17:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Weather forecasters can't predict the time with a clock in front of them.  

Hell, it is the one job that I know of where they can constantly be wrong and still be employed.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:22:51 AM EDT
[#12]
7am

Here near Saginaw Bay USA, we got 3-4" yesterday morning.  In the
afternoon, when the winds came out of the northeast we got another 3-4"
from the lake effect.
As of this morning, it looks like 12-15" of new snow on the level here in Arenac county. Drifts look to be 3'+.
I left 1/2hr early for work, gotta make the phones & internet work for everyone else staying home today.

7:45am

Ha ha, got an urgent voice mail from my boss as I was pulling in the
driveway at work.  He was telling us to stay home until 9-10am.  He said
Bay county pulled the plows off the roads.  I signed in my usual 15
minutes early.
I picked up a co-worker on the way & only got stuck briefly on her road but was able to bust through the drift.
I'll be putting a floor fan up against the internet servers. They'll be
making heat today with all the usage. Don't be surprised to see slow
download speeds. Gamers & movie downloads will be near all time peak
usage.
All is well

eta: got a text from my son in JAX FL, said it was 72° and I was welcome to come visit

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:30:03 AM EDT
[#13]
68 here right now.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:34:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:34:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I for one am glad we didn't get shit !

Cold here, 16 in Arkansas is cold but no snow in the central area....
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:38:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I am sitting here waiting for the snow to stop. I have 4 foot drifts at both the front and back of the house. The plow just went by and raised the height of the drift at the end of the driveway another foot. I figure 2 more passes and you won't be able to see my car from the street. Maybe you guy's were all looking at the weather predictions for Chicago and thought they meant you? Just North of me they reported 20". With waist deep drifts. They also are saying on the local news that the National Guard had to go out and pull people out of thier cars.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:39:25 AM EDT
[#17]
They were spot on here, at least 18" to 20" fell and its still snowing.

Theres 3 to 4 foot drifts around my house.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:45:28 AM EDT
[#18]
UPDATE. They just reported we have 12" to 20" and still coming down. Wind chill at -40. Roads are impassable in some county's north of Chicago. Lake shore drive downtown closed........Shit more roads closed than open. The drift in my driveway is up to the windows of the cars.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:48:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:53:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am sitting here waiting for the snow to stop. I have 4 foot drifts at both the front and back of the house. The plow just went by and raised the height of the drift at the end of the driveway another foot. I figure 2 more passes and you won't be able to see my car from the street. Maybe you guy's were all looking at the weather predictions for Chicago and thought they meant you? Just North of me they reported 20". With waist deep drifts. They also are saying on the local news that the National Guard had to go out and pull people out of thier cars.

A buddy of mine lives in Chicago. He said it was pretty bad last night.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:54:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Had it of not been 35f, it would have been BAD, now it's just annoying.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:54:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Here is St Louis, I am disapoint.  we got about 2 inches of sleet and where I live about 3 inches of snow.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 5:02:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A buddy of mine lives in Chicago. He said it was pretty bad last night.

News just reported our first death.....
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 5:02:54 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Here is St Louis, I am disapoint.  we got about 2 inches of sleet and where I live about 3 inches of snow.

However, north of St. Louis in Lincoln County we have some really deep snow.  I just got through shoveling 1-2 foot deep snow off our driveway only to get to our road that is just as deep.  My son and daughter are calling in to work.  I drove my 4x4 pickup to the highway, but no way a Pontiac Sunfire is getting there.

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 5:07:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don't know... It's fucking cold here!  (37*)

-3 here with a wind chill of -23, dry heat my ass.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 5:14:37 AM EDT
[#26]
About 16 inches here in Northern Midland County MI some snow plows stuck in 5 foot drifts cars stuck, ambulances stuck, cops are telling EVERYONE to stay off the roads. I love MI
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 5:18:52 AM EDT
[#27]

I'm glad we didn't get that cold here in Dallas, it was a balmy 15F w/ -5F windchill, but I rembember a morning or two as cold as that screen capture when I was in school in Lubbock.

eta: although we are getting rolling blackouts?? WTF??  It gets hotter than hell in the summer here and we never have rolling blackouts.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 5:20:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Well, looking out the window....can't see much of anything.  Glad that both the kid's school and my school called it yesterday.  Hubby made a last minute run last night, and said it was BRUTAL!  All he went was maybe five miles from home.

ETA.....I left my school just ahead of it hitting in Wheeling, it had already hit in Westmont by the time I got down here (~hour drive).
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 5:22:34 AM EDT
[#29]
I hate when we get 1-3 inches of snow in Northern Virginia.  Everyone wakes up and says, "Meh, only 1-3 inches, I can drive to work in my Prius/Mini/BMW 3xx no problem..." and it's mass chaos on the roads.  Around 4 inches, people start taking it seriously.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 5:27:20 AM EDT
[#30]
I am sitting here in Central Florida on the back porch by the pool in my shorts, T shirt and flip flops wondering that the hell is this "snow" you speak of.

My big concern today is that my local gun store will call to let me know my NoDak 601 receiver came in.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 5:30:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
They used to look at radar. They used to look at historic patterns. They, a person, used to really dive in and try to predict the weather.

Now all you hear is "the model shows this and the model shows that".

Look. I know predicting the weather is hard. Harder than hard. Stuff is unpredictable.   But it sure seemed better when people tried to predict the weather and not a computer program.

I think back then they also had windows.

Kazo area,west we had a bout 8", but it blew in pretty good.

Snowing like a bitch right now.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 5:32:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Lucky, I'm in Columbia and we got like 18 inches.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 5:34:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Here in Hamtramck, MI I only have about 3-4" on my street. I made it out to I-75, and there's more like 6-8", and it's been untouched by plows. There were 3 cars spun out in the middle of the freeway just between the Caniff entrance ramp and the Davison East exit ramp (maybe a 1/4 mile?). I nearly spun out in four wheel drive. So, yeah, maybe I spoke too soon. I got a call from the boss saying we were going to be closed today, so I turned back around and went home.

Still, 6-8" is certainly not the snoverkill we were promised and stridently warned about.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 5:35:33 AM EDT
[#34]
This just in...

All weather forecasts are predictions...
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 5:41:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I for one am glad we didn't get shit !

Cold here, 16 in Arkansas is cold but no snow in the central area....

It was a light snow at 10pm last night in sherwood.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 5:42:25 AM EDT
[#36]
We got lucky on this one. We've only gotten a few inches.

Of course hitting -20 overnight didn't help anything.

Schools are closed because of the "cold".  Pfft. It was only 15 years ago that we went to school when it was -20 during the day!  Rookies.

Work is allowing people to work from home (screw around and pretend to work) for the 3rd straight day, which means us poor suckers that go into the office anyway get to work twice as much

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 5:42:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Will you at least believe the groundhog?
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 5:54:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Its unbelieveable how wimpy this world is getting, yesterday i got a call from the VA.
the woman tells me that they are shutting the place tomorrow because of the supposed
ice rain, ( i had 2 appointments ) i said lady most of the guys that go here been in a war,
and some ice rain or snow doesn't faze us..
She says ( i swear) that as my mother used to say if the weathers bad you should stay
home...I said if we all listenrd to your mother we would have lost the war...Silence and then click..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top