Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2011 1:35:07 PM EDT
No poll, because it is not available to me.

Situation is as it really is right now.
Group is being lead by a Canadian man.
Group is half Canadian and half US citizens with their country of origin passports.
Group is supposed to go to Egypt, Israel and Jordan the 3rd week of Feb 2011.
You are one of the US members of the group with your wife and teen.
Canadian group leader says that the Canadian government says going to Egypt is safe except for 3 areas.
Canadian group leader says US government over reacting.
Canadian group leader only .3% of the Egyptian population is rioting, so it is not having any affect.

Would you go?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#1]
No, riots in Egypt would keep me from going. As well as traveling on US passport.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:54:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Let me add, I would not go. The group leader is a friend, but his security awareness and medical knowledge are horrible. The American family is also my friends. The wife and son do not want to go, but the husband/dad, are listening to the group leader. I mentioned that their US passports are worthless at the Canadian embassy if something goes bad, but it is falling on deaf ears, that is 4 of the 8.
The leader assures them he could get them into the Canadian embassy if needed (right ). Worst thing is the leader keeps saying his contacts (aka people going to be paid) are saying it is all safe and dandy.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:00:56 PM EDT
[#3]
No.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I've worked in Egypt three or four times and I'd go back today if someone were to pay me.

The Saudis and Kuwaitys deserve slow death but the Egyptians (though backward) are g2g. I trusted the Egyptians I worked with about 80%. That's pretty high.

They've had some problems with gulf arabs killing tourists. There've been some bombs in Alex trying to catch jews and I think some japs were machine gunned in luxor awhile back.

I'd still go.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#5]
hells no.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:13:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Bad decision, I would happily fo to Egypt 99% of the time but there is too much uncertainty in the next few weeks given the political uprising, the jailbreaks, the rumors of Hamas agitators, the (small) potential for escalation with Israel and/or US due to the canal and Muslim Brotherhood etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top