Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2011 8:02:43 PM EDT
say, if you are at a "table" with them? And notice I don't specify it's dinner, because it's based on a "friends" Facebook status, where her father "freaked out" because her and her sister were texting each other with family.

I think it's rude, tacky, and in poor taste.  She says it's acceptable if it's private.  I think if it's so freaking important and private, it can wait until you can leave the room or wait till later.

I say to the dad: GOOD FREAKOUT!
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#1]
usually i text them to either put down their phone or wave to me while i'm making my exit.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#2]
they where trying not to offensive by talking about you in front of others.

Times are changing and so are communication protocols.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#3]
if it's one or two messages, what's the big deal?

a whole conversation, yeah, that's rude.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I do that at work to screw with a co-worker.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:09:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
if it's one or two messages, what's the big deal?

a whole conversation, yeah, that's rude.

My sister(32) did this once.  We worked at a camp, and it was the last day.  The counselors were discussing out to bowl, and my sister texted me her thoughts.

Why she couldn't quietly ask me to step outside is beyond me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:10:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
they where trying not to offensive by talking about you in front of others.
Times are changing and so are communication protocols.

This didn't involve me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:15:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't text in general, but that would be something something that would fall into the highly rude column for me.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I did it all the time

In HIGH SCHOOL!!!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:22:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I did it all the time

In HIGH SCHOOL!!!!

Neither myself nor this girl are in high school anymore.  Texting can be a useful tool, but it can, and often does, get abused.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#10]
If I see someone fingerfucking their phone at a "table", dinner or otherwise, I walk out and tell them to get back to me when they're finished
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I know a married couple that routinely sends e-mail to each other within the same house.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#12]
How about this.

Would it be acceptable for them to whisper in each other ears, not sharing with everyone else?

Would it be acceptable for them to send notes on paper in front of everyone?

Etiquette is timeless.

Freakout justified.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How about this.

Would it be acceptable for them to whisper in each other ears, not sharing with everyone else?

Would it be acceptable for them to send notes on paper in front of everyone?

Etiquette is timeless.

Freakout justified.

No, no, yes, and yes.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#14]
my boss did it to me once because I was saying something at the table without a clear idea of what I was there for. It was brilliant and I had no problem with him doing it. It worked well in the end.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:40:43 PM EDT
[#15]
It's not polite, no.

I will say my friend and I texted each other in a class we shared a few times, but we both knew the material, didn't give a shit, and weren't about to raise peoples' ire by talking.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:42:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I sent 47 text messages last month.  I don't think I'm qualified to answer, but my kids wouldn't even think about bringing their phones to the table.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#17]
It is rude for them to do so....
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:57:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Last time I received a text from a friend at the same table was "Our waiter is super high on something".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top