Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/30/2011 7:49:42 PM EDT
A Diesel Cop Car ... A "Green" cop car

WTF Give me a good ol' AMERCIAN GAS V8

http://www.carbonmotors.com/learn
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#1]
whats wrong with Diesel? Thats all I own.....
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Diesel is good but the current EPA gayness is not.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:52:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the Crown Vic is already gone.  At least every dept around here is buying Chargers and Impalas.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Diesel is good but the current EPA gayness is not.

Very True....
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:52:44 PM EDT
[#5]
The Crown Vic is on death row. After 2011 they will cease to be produced.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#6]
May be worth it in the long run but the entrance price will keep most departments away.  Crown Vic is already gone anyway if Ford keeps their word this time.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Ford last March said they're rolling out a new Police Interceptor based on the Taurus.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:56:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ford last March said they're rolling out a new Police Interceptor based on the Taurus.

You have got to be kiding... FUCK... The only auto maker not to take .gov money... and this is all they can come up wiht?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Around here they've already replaced all the Crown Vics with Chargers for all the real cops. The city has some sort of program to have volunteers (ie non-certified officers) act as glorified community watch and they run the old Crown Vics the real cops used to use.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have got to be kiding... FUCK... The only auto maker not to take .gov money... and this is all they can come up wiht?

Ford doesn't make the Carbon Motors E7 that you posted in the OP. Hence why right before the model name of E7 it fucking says CARBON MOTORS.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ford doesn't make the Carbon Motors E7 that you posted in the OP. Hence why right before the model name of E7 it fucking says CARBON MOTORS.

Hence it wouldn't be the end of the CV, but the new PI would.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Just like robocop

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#14]
It's stupid to have v8's and these massive full size cars out on patrol. They putt around 24 hours a day getting 15mpg at best and aren't even remotely fast. More wasteful .gov spending.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's stupid to have v8's and these massive full size cars out on patrol. They putt around 24 hours a day getting 15mpg at best and aren't even remotely fast. More wasteful .gov spending.

Because a 1.8L V4 is great if you need to catch up to someone in a hurry
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
whats wrong with Diesel? Thats all I own.....

Nothings wrong with diesel... Just don't think it's going to make a good pursuit vehicle...
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:02:14 PM EDT
[#17]
They should show real leadership on the enviroment and make cop cars out of the Prius.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just like robocop

No, its based on the new Taurus. AWD, 300+ HP. Much larger.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I understand your disappointment.

I absolutely LOVE my CVPI.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Its bad ass actually. SHO

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I like it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A crown vic has a 0-60 time of 8.5 SECONDS!

a 2.4L toyota corolla has a 0-60 times of 7.4.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#23]
The corvett get like 26 MPG and has a 600 HP engine... Why would the CV only get 15?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree with the 8.5 second figure.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#25]
The E7 diesel PERFORMANCE

0 - 60 mph 6.5 seconds
Quarter Mile 14.5 seconds @ 98.0 mph

Top Speed > 150 mph
Braking 60 - 0 mph 125 feet
Lateral Acceleration 0.85 g
Combined City/Hwy Fuel Economy 28 - 30 mpg  

Going to have to raise the BS flag on that...

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree with the 8.5 second figure.

Maybe the one they used to sell to civilians, but the CVPI's are likely quicker than that.  Hell, my brother in law had a 2005 Crown Vic that wasn't a police version and it was no slouch.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

And let's see how quick that Corolla is with a few hundred pounds of extra equipment in radios, computers, cameras, lights, push bumpers, cages, rescue gear, and weapons.  American police cars are big because you need a big car to carry all of the gear incidental to the job.  Additionally, front wheel drive cars like the Corolla and Impala tend to fare rather poorly in police applications.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The corvett get like 26 MPG and has a 600 HP engine... Why would the CV only get 15?

Weight/size, gearing ratios and use.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 2000 Chevy Sliverado 4X4 PK gets 19 MPG... I still call BS on the 15 MPG
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

And let's see how quick that Corolla is with a few hundred pounds of extra equipment in radios, computers, cameras, lights, push bumpers, cages, rescue gear, and weapons.  American police cars are big because you need a big car to carry all of the gear incidental to the job.  Additionally, front wheel drive cars like the Corolla and Impala tend to fare rather poorly in police applications.

Yep/.// The cops NEED a rear wheel drive... When Chrylser and Chevy stopped making the full size RWDs Ford was the only game in town.

Futhermore the cops need a FULL frame car. This unitized shit is not going to fair for shit...
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's true.

Consider that these cars also spend LOTS of time at idle running radar, sitting outside while the officer is inside dealing with complaints, etc.  Those cars are always running.  When driving, sure, they probably get better than 15MPG... but averaged out over the full tank of gas... 14-15 mpg.

ETA:  Also consider that those cars spend lots of time at idle... then when it's time to go, it's time to go.  Cops are lead foots.  They have to catch up with speeders from a stop (or change directions and then accelerate up to speed), or they're running code to calls.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get less than 15 mpg with mine (CVPI) unless I am just slowly driving around.  On the highway I can get around 25 or so but only if I'm driving straight from point a to point b.  If I am doing real patrol I will get closer to 12 mpg or less.  0-wideopen doesn't lend itself to good mileage.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:33:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

And it sucked dick in the Michigan trials.  Ford is pretty much out of the police market in 2012, at least until they make something that competes with the Chev and Dodge.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yep/.// The cops NEED a rear wheel drive... When Chrylser and Chevy stopped making the full size RWDs Ford was the only game in town.

Futhermore the cops need a FULL frame car. This unitized shit is not going to fair for shit...[/div]

I agree with you on this.  With the way we drive, we would have many wrecks with awd until a lot of folks learn a new style of driving.  A lot of what we do depends on losing traction at a certain point.  If I didn't lose traction it would mess up a lot of my turns and could cause me to get smacked by a car.  FWD doesn't work either for much the same reason.

I trust unibody vehicles for front and rear impacts but I haven't been too impressed with their performance in side impact crashes.  Although it is rather neat to do a post crash inspection and have two or three different pieces of the same car to examine.  You have to be careful about how and where you cross a median in a unibody as well.  We've had a few back glasses pop out do to the flex the body goes under.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A few hundred pounds is nothing. It equates to two american fat-asses that ride around in them 365 days a year. The simple fact is Police spend most of their day at idle or 30mph. You don't need a 4.6L V8. Not to mention when the time comes to "intercept" the CVPI is already anemic as shit.

It's a waste of money. If you really need "interceptors" get cops running highway traffic a couple of corvettes.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get less than 15 mpg with mine (CVPI) unless I am just slowly driving around.  On the highway I can get around 25 or so but only if I'm driving straight from point a to point b.  If I am doing real patrol I will get closer to 12 mpg or less.  0-wideopen doesn't lend itself to good mileage.

A diesel isn't going to fare well with this type of use... What they save in fuel is going to cost in maintenance
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:46:58 PM EDT
[#39]

I could see it working for a college that doesn't go anywhere fast and doesn't get into chases.  Would never pan out for any other department unless they have a dedicated group of paper servers.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
A diesel isn't going to fare well with this type of use... What they save in fuel is going to cost in maintenance

Really?  You don't know as much as you think you do.

Diesel engines have a reputation for not holding up to stop and go use in trucks.  Not in cars.  Because the engines that they put in cars are lighter.

Quoted:
Give me a good ol' AMERCIAN GAS V8

No reason to use a V8 anymore.  I'd go for twin turbos and direct injection.

Quoted:
Nothings wrong with diesel... Just don't think it's going to make a good pursuit vehicle...

Why is what you think so important?  Why don't you Google "Le Mans" and "diesel."
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:55:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

A few hundred pounds is nothing. It equates to two american fat-asses that ride around in them 365 days a year. The simple fact is Police spend most of their day at idle or 30mph. You don't need a 4.6L V8. Not to mention when the time comes to "intercept" the CVPI is already anemic as shit.  

It's a waste of money. If you really need "interceptors" get cops running highway traffic a couple of corvettes.

You apparently have never done any ride-alongs with county cops.  Their days, when driving, are spent at speeds around 55-60mph, and running code from one end of the county to the other.  Agreed, the CVPI is anemic, but they do need to be able to get up to speed to catch the guy going 70 in a 45 headed in the other direction.  A few years back, Portage (MI) PD transitioned away from the Chevy Impala after a Ford Contour (non-SVT) wasted their cruisers in a pursuit.

They need faster, and bigger cars than a tiny little Corolla.  My dad fills out the cargo area of his Tahoe with all of the gear he has to carry.  That crap's not fitting inside a Corolla or other similar tiny car.  The big cars on the market and used by police right now really aren't all that roomy when the equipment is installed.  With the cage in the back, the radio stacks and computers in front, the CVPI is a pretty tight fit.  The Tahoe is remarkably better, but it is an even larger car.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

WTF Give me a good ol' AMERCIAN GAS V8

Carbon Motors: 250 hp, 400 lb-ft

Crown Victoria: 250 hp, 297 lb-ft

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#43]
The other answer is to have a paddy wagon and not transport prisoners in the cars.

That works too.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:58:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  You don't know as much as you think you do.

Diesel engines have a reputation for not holding up to stop and go use in trucks.  Not in cars.  Because the engines that they put in cars are lighter.

Quoted:
Give me a good ol' AMERCIAN GAS V8

No reason to use a V8 anymore.  I'd go for twin turbos and direct injection.

Quoted:

Why is what you think so important?  Why don't you Google "Le Mans" and "diesel."

OK Wombat Jack... Riddle me this...

Why did UPS removed diesel engines and replace them with Gas engines in their package cars?

In the P800 package cars they went from a Cummings "A" motor (onan) to an Italian diesel to the Chevy vortex 4.3 liter?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm unfamiliar with an engine company called Cummings.  Perhaps you have a link?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm unfamiliar with an engine company called Cummings.  Perhaps you have a link?

Think he meant Cummins.  This

Although Carbon Motors says their engines are styled after European engines that are workhorses and get tremendous service life and performance.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The other answer is to have a paddy wagon and not transport prisoners in the cars.

That works too.

Requires more personnel and vehicles to be operational.  Would love the idea so that my car would quit smelling like drunks and vomit though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:07:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think he meant Cummins.  This

Although Carbon Motors says their engines are styled after European engines that are workhorses and get tremendous service life and performance.

Carbon's engines are supplied byBMW.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That works too.

Considering that many departments are trying to fend off lay-offs... a solution that requires additional paid personnel is probably not a viable option.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Wasn't he in that nailin palin movie?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top