Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2011 3:54:35 PM EDT
Here are a few pictures of a recently completed model of a Spitfire IX C plastic model.  The kit is a 1/48th Revell of Germany kit.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Good job, I like how you brought out the details on the underside.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I love the spitfire's elliptical wing shape.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice work. VErt attractive.

F
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:27:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I love the spitfire's elliptical wing shape.

Yeah it has nice lines.  This kit had the option making the plane an Mark XVI with the clipped wings, but I wanted to build the Mk IX that had the traditional elliptical shaped wings.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I've made a dozen or so models, took a long break from it after getting out of school. I've got a Stuka sitting around waiting to be painted/put together someday. I actually bought Il-Sturm for the PC for the single purpose of checking out all of the models. Those old birds were beautiful.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Concur with the elliptical wings.  Clipped wings just don't look as good on the Spitfire.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Veeeery nicely done.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes. How did you accent it so well?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:50:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. How did you accent it so well?

I used a pin wash with some odorless mineral spirits and artist's oil paints.  The mineral spirits that I used was not your typical mineral spirits that you get at the paint store, but some art stuff I found at Micheal's.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Good job with the seams and panel lines.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice job I think you will like this Kit
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks nice
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I built a 1/32 scale Revell  Spitfire MKI when I was 11.  That was a LONG time ago.  It looked very much like yours when it was done.  (I had been building models with my dad since I was 5) Came out almost perfect.  My dad's good friend was a scale modeler and a professional artist.  He saw my model and said it looked really good, but it wasn't done.  What?  He asked if he could help finish it.  I was 10..  What was I going to say?

He grabbed my paint set, some mineral spirits and a medium sized brush.  Mixed up some very thinned black, gray and white and proceeded to brush that stuff all over my model.  I just about shit my pants.  But when he was done, it looked like that Spitfire had just flown 2 years over the skies of England and Germany.  Weather marks on the wings, oil streaks, faded paint and the coup de grace...   a little silver speck here and there on the leading edges where the paint chipped off.  

Unbelievable.  

From then on I "wrecked" all my models the same way.

John

EDIT: almost forgot.  Very nice job, OP.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:34:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Great work! I have to stick to 1/32 since my big 'ol fat fingers and vintage eyes can't do small kits anymore. I've got over 100 big kits on the shelves and no time to build. And I still have one of the new 1/32 wingscale B-25's on preorder. And I'm jumping on their 1/32 B-17 as soon as it come out.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Very nicely done OP.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Great work! I have to stick to 1/32 since my big 'ol fat fingers and vintage eyes can't do small kits anymore. I've got over 100 big kits on the shelves and no time to build. And I still have one of the new 1/32 wingscale B-25's on preorder. And I'm jumping on their 1/32 B-17 as soon as it come out.

I've seen pictures of prototypes of that 1/32 B-17, that is going to be a really nice kit, but it's HUGE.

I've got a old 1/48th Monogram B-24 sitting around that I started back years ago, I'm still waiting around to get the nerve up to finish that beast.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:47:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Awesome work!

I just finished this Huey, def. not on the level of your plane.  Hell even my pic quality sux.

I tried my best though...and momma says thats all that matters.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Awesome work!

I just finished this Huey, def. not on the level of your plane.  Hell even my pic quality sux.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p207/hkx4/DSCN2024.jpg

Nice job on the Huey.  Is that the Dragon 1/35 scale kit?  If so, built one of those a few months ago.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:01:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Awesome work!

Nice job on the Huey.  Is that the Dragon 1/35 scale kit?  If so, built one of those a few months ago.

Yes, exactly.  I was really digging the kit, and then I assembled the fuselage halves.  Some idiot monkey with four left thumbs machined the mold halves.

Even the gap around the windshield was way off on one side.  Salvaged it, and had fun building it.  The paint on the rotors, and the interior/gun mounts, etc were all copied off American Huey 369's sister Huey.  I flew in her at Knob Creek last fall, and decided to build a replica.

Im working on a M35 Duece now, and the AC47 Spooky gunship.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice work. Any full pics of the P51D in the first pic?

I used to love scale modeling until I started spending all of my extra cash on gun junk when I was 18. I'd post some pics but they are on my old computer.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I used to love scale modeling until I started spending all of my extra cash on gun junk when I was 18. I'd post some pics but they are on my old computer.

Wow you're good-

Heres a picture of the P-51D.  It was my first model since I got back into the hobby, so it's not up to the best standards.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Real nice job.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Awesome work!

Yes, exactly.  I was really digging the kit, and then I assembled the fuselage halves.  Some idiot monkey with four left thumbs machined the mold halves.

Even the gap around the windshield was way off on one side.  Salvaged it, and had fun building it.  The paint on the rotors, and the interior/gun mounts, etc were all copied off American Huey 369's sister Huey.  I flew in her at Knob Creek last fall, and decided to build a replica.

Im working on a M35 Duece now, and the AC47 Spooky gunship.

Yeah that Dragon kit does have some major fit issues around the fuselage halves and front windshield. I used a good bit of squadron putty to get it to look right.

Heres a few pictures of the one I built:

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#24]
great looking spitfire!

what paint/colors did you use?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:30:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
great looking spitfire!

what paint/colors did you use?

I used model master enamels, I believe it was RAF Medium Sea Gray, RAF Dark Slate Gray, and RAF Dark Green.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:40:37 PM EDT
[#26]
SWEET
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Very nice job on the Spitfire.  The Spitfire is definitely one of the most beautiful aircraft ever built of any category.

I just finished a Tamiya 1/350 scale USS Missourri.  It's my first build since I was about 7 and I'm pretty happy with it, although it's nowhere near the quality of your build.

I forget the manufacturer, but there's a 1/144th scale USS Arizona coming out this year.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:10:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow you're good-

Heres a picture of the P-51D.  It was my first model since I got back into the hobby, so it's not up to the best standards.

There's a  hobby paint out there called ALCLAD II that produces a variety of metal finishes. Their 'aluminum' is really a superior scale finish for models like that. That have a half-dozen metal finishes that are all pretty bitchin'.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Those are some great looking models OP and
the others posted here.

I probably built every 1/48 scale aircraft model out
there as a kid but I specialized in "15 footers" (They
looked great from about 15FT away ).

Right now I've got an old Monogram "Phantom"
Mustang I'm thinking about starting in on.

THIS guy (DR Young C. Park) blows me away with his work
and I thought I'd link to some here for those of you
who've never seen his stuff.  He's a retired dentist
who scratch builds all metal large scale stuff that's
unbelievable!

Here's his P-51.  

Link to his page.

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/park.htm
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#30]
22 birdshot makes realistic battle damage........
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:01:36 PM EDT
[#31]
And not a trace of seam lines either! Very well done!Thanks for sharing...
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I recently acquired this Ju-87B Stuka.

My building skills suck - this one was pre-built & just needed some minor assembly.

This has a 31" wingspan.  It's huge.

Centerline bomb crutch actually swings (just like the real one, to throw the bomb clear of the airscrew in a 90 degree attack dive).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top