Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2002 5:59:03 AM EDT
mission?  
c-rock

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/showcase/chi-0205030244may03.story?coll=chi%2Dnews%2Dhed

MT. HOREB, Wis. -- In an unprecedented wildlife management plan, Wisconsin hunters are being asked to wipe out more than 15,000 of the state's treasured white-tailed deer to stop a deadly brain disease from spreading throughout the region.

Beginning Monday, officials will issue special hunting permits to landowners who live in a 287-square-mile eradication zone around Mt. Horeb in southern Wisconsin, where 14 cases of chronic wasting disease have emerged since February. The landowners can do the hunting or allow others to cull deer on their property.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:14:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Makes since,  Southern Wisconsin anti gun Liberals probably gave the brain disease to the Deer.  Is there going to be a Doyle season for stupid Gun bills being entered into the State?[BD]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:16:12 AM EDT
[#2]
It's nice to know that the state is doing this the sensible way, instead of listening to the wacko PETA freaks who would probably demand the state spend millions to round up the deer and euthanize them or worse, try and cure them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:29:03 AM EDT
[#3]
We've recently, for the first time, had CWD show up on the western slope of CO. Unfortunately there is no test that can detect it in a living animal. Of course biologists are working on finding such a test. And no medical cure.

That leaves only one method of cure....death for ALL suspected animals, and those that happen to be in same area.  [:(]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:49:35 AM EDT
[#4]
This is serious shit.  This area is an hour from my house and my hunting area.  I don't know if I will hunt this year or not.  

I agree with what they are doing, but they sure aren't doing it because it makes sense!
The only reason political correctness has gone out the window is because if nobody hunts deer in Wisconsin, the DNR will loses buckets and buckets of money.  So, since leaving the deer to spread the disease would remove millions of dollars going to a government agency, killing them is ok and to hell with PETA and anybody else!

Our DNR is not concerned with preserving land, habitat, or wildlife.  All they want to do is collect money from everybody.  
Pheasants=rather than take hard steps to improve habitat, they plant thousands of stupid ass farm raised birds (which thins the hardiness of the native bloodline) and collect big dollars in "pheasant stamps".  
Deer=collect buckets of money upholding "the Wisconsin tradition".
Turkey=Well, they did get the turkey population up....more revenue!
Fish=I can't think of a lake around here anywhere that the fish you catch aren't a result of yearly DNR stocking, since the habitat in most lakes doesn't support native gamefish anymore.  No stocking=no fish.

In my area, they are filling in marshes and lowlands that I used to play in, hunt, etc. left and right and building on them......DNR protection just means you pay them money for an assessment and/or permit, and then start dumping your fill!  More revenue!

Our wardens "have authority to enter any lands, at anytime, in performance of their duties".  They also have basically unlimited powers of confiscation. And they are real assholes with no respect for people, it's like they assume since you bought the license, you agree to submit to being treated like a criminal.  

I got stopped by DNR wardens one time in an UNMARKED truck, with NO clothing insignia, just BDU's, t-shirt, and sidearm for one guy and jeans, flannel, and ball cap for the other.  They didn't even greet us, just cut me off to stop me on this county highway, walked back and inspected the deer in the back of the truck, then asked for our hunting licenses.  I demanded ID.  The BDU guy had a distinct USGI aura about him, complete with buzztop and whitewalls, and glasses with a safety strap.  Sidearm was a SIG 9MM.  Maybe a volunteer MP from Fort McCoy?

Although I haven't "met" them, the two wardens who fly the plane and ALWAYS turn and swoop down low over us when my father in law and I are trying to enjoy a quiet morning of bird hunting of earned my disrespect as well.

They are good for harrassing my father in law too, the local warden caught him burning paperplates and styrofoam cups after his retirement party....pissed him off enough that he was a gettin' ready to take a swing.  And he's a pretty calm man.  He likes to say that if you don't want to be harrassed by the DNR JBT's, the only thing you can do is not hunt or fish.

Wow!  Sorry to hijack your thread!
Anyway, yeah, the DNR only cares about ensuring "opportunities" for people to hunt and fish so they maintain that all important REVENUE!      
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:10:00 AM EDT
[#5]
[b]WHAT?  OUR DNR ONLY CARES FOR THE MONEY?[/b]

We harvested a Bear one year and they surrounded us with there hands on there side arms like we were violent killers.  I remember the "DROP THAT ANIMAL AND KEEP YOUR HANDS WHERE WE CAN SEE THEM"  Sh#t all that over a legal kill.  

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:14:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like TheRedGoat and crew need to take a trip north for a while to hunt a different species.[:)]

The DNR in WI are power hungry mongrels for sure.  Who knows whose interests other than their own they're worried about.  Money money money, that's about all their concerned about besides power.  I once talked to ex Secretary Meyer on a WI public radio call in.  What a politician!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top