Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2002 10:01:28 PM EDT
I'm sure there are a couple comic-book geeks here. I thought I'd share with you some thoughts.

I can just imagine how moist the studio execs were when they first saw this movie. They were probably rubbing there hands together and muttering, "We're going to be rich, rich I tell you!"

I caught a premiere tonight and it was spectacular. Easily the best comic book adaptation ever. Put X-Men to shame.

Good thing they're going to make a couple more sequels... [:)]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Daredevil, Hulk and another Blade.

What we need now is an epic devoted to that misunderstood loner from Zen La.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey, how'd you get in early?

I am eagerly looking forward to Spiderman-might even skip work tomorrow to catch it early.
Pins and needles-can't wait to see what they did with my Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman here.

Hopefully, one of the sequels will feature Venom-now THAT would be cool.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:08:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Iron Man, now there's a hero. Comic book that is. Put your bug boy to shame.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:14:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#6]
For those of us who grew up with the comics, the future looks to be bright.  Besides Spider-Man, Daredevil is currently in production with Ben Affleck in the starring role, as is "The Hulk", starring Eric Bana, from Black Hawk Down.

Rumor also is that Nicholas Cage will be playing the role of the Ghost Rider.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:11:49 AM EDT
[#7]
my spidey sense is tingling in anticipation [:D]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:36:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hey, how'd you get in early?

I am eagerly looking forward to Spiderman-might even skip work tomorrow to catch it early.
Pins and needles-can't wait to see what they did with my Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman here.

Hopefully, one of the sequels will feature Venom-now THAT would be cool.

Juggernaut
View Quote

It was one of those radio station premieres. Know someone who works at radio station so I didn't have to "call-in-and-win."

No Venom. Ever. I want Dr. Octopus. We'll see who gets what they wish for. [;)]

For those of us who grew up with the comics, the future looks to be bright. Besides Spider-Man, Daredevil is currently in production with Ben Affleck in the starring role, as is "The Hulk", starring Eric Bana, from Black Hawk Down.

Rumor also is that Nicholas Cage will be playing the role of the Ghost Rider.
View Quote

There was an extremely short teaser for The Hulk. You couldn't tell anything except, well, it teased you. [;)] PS. You can download the teaser today.

As for Ghost Rider, here's the bad news. The good news is a more recent report says there might be some life stirring in the production.

August 20, 2001... Speaking to  Cinescape, actor Nicolas Cage threw a bucket of cold water onto the Ghost Rider project today. "I don’t know what’s going to happen with that right now, because the director went and took another job,” Cage told Cinescape, referring to director Stephen Norrington's decision to film Tick-Tock next. “We were going to go, and I don’t know what happened. So now I’m not doing it.”
View Quote

As for other movies...

Iron Man, now there's a hero. Comic book that is. Put your bug boy to shame.
View Quote

I would love it if they made an Iron Man movie! Another great and compelling story, although the audience was quite stunned by how moving the Spider-Man story was. With the kind of money that first X-Men brought and now the tremendous potential (read: bank!) for Spider-Man, just about any classic comic hero has a chance of making it to the big screen.

I like to check [url=http://www.corona.bc.ca/films/mainFramed.html]Coming Attractions[/url], say, once a day for the latest rumors. Search the Film Listings for your favorite movie's status.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go and pay to see Spider-Man a couple more times today... [:)]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:47:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Still holding my breath waiting for "Watchmen" to be brought to the screen.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:50:49 AM EDT
[#10]
No Green Lantern fans I see.

I think I will check it out on Weds.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:54:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Golden age Green Lantern was cool, not least because of his goofy costume.  I never enjoyed the more modern Green Lantern(s) anywhere near as much.  I could say the same thing, though, about most all comic characters who date back to the 30's and 40's.  Namor was really great, back in the Golden Age, when he was an anti-hero who came out on dry land solely to wreak havoc on the surface dwellers.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:15:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I was a Green Lantern, Capt America, Spiderman and Hawkman fan. I also liked the Fantastic Four. I will see Spider-man this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:12:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was always into this crap... I can't wait!

Huge Punisher, Silver Surfer, GI Joe (Heehee), and assorted other fan.

I sold most of my comics when the market was peaking and made a killing, but at that time the GI Joe comics which were worth a few thousand, had dropped through the floor. I didnt mind though as I still leaf through them on occasion. I also sold both my Wolvie vs Hulk books which were big cash gains for me as well as all my hulks, spideys, and xmen!

They're making a number of Comic movies, including a new Punisher and Fantastic Four, based off the books. I know X-Men2 has a huge budget and is supposed to introduce a few more team members of which Nightcrawler and Gambit are two confirmed movie additions, while there's a lot more cameos of other heros. (I just hope they add the Beast into the mix!)

Anyhow... gonna see the flick with the wifey tonight if I can get away. [=D]
View Quote

I can't understand the reasoning behind another Punisher so soon behind the Dolf one.

Now FF, that has to be done properly. The Roger Corman version aint gonna cut it.

I've still go my small hoard of comics. Just going to keep them until they disintegrate. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:58:59 AM EDT
[#15]
What we need now is an epic devoted to that misunderstood loner from Zen La.
View Quote

By the Powers Cosmic! I'd like to see that happen.

I can't understand the reasoning behind another Punisher so soon behind the Dolf one.
View Quote

Easy. First, the Dolf one wasn't even an American based film production. Second, Marvel has been optioning scripts like mad...rumor has between 12 and 18 titles being licensed for movie production. Third, the progression of films like Batman(Burton), The Crow, X-Men, Blade, soon Spider-Man, and even non-feature film titles like Witchblade have proven that comic book films, if done right, can make major bank at the box office. Fourth, just look at the setup....it REEKS of action film. Lots of guns, moral ambivalence, tragic semi-everyman hero....if done right it's a perfect vehicle. Fifth, you're tapping into a pre-existing fan base with comic titles, guaranteeing with older and more established titles a decent showing at the box office. Sixth, it's near Hollywood doctrine. Better, faster, cheaper. What's easier....making a superhero film entirely from scratch, or 'adapting' one? Less time spent on a script, development, and some preprod work means less investment to diminish the return.

Another good place to check is www.darkhorizons.com. They've got TONS of good scoop info on upcoming and in production films.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:00:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Here we go flame away. I have seen nothing but TV preview comercials. It looks really good and I to want to see it as it seems maybe they stuck to the original a little more than X-men. It looked like there was heavy on the digital Sfx going on. I know how can you make a hero swing from the buildings without it, but some of it looked really obvious.

Later

IAJack
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:07:59 AM EDT
[#17]
The Silver Surfer..."To me, my board!"
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Great Movie!!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Entertainment Weekly printed a list of upcoming superhero movies.  Besdides the ones already mentioned:

-Iron Man (I'm not sure who they said was going to play him)

-Fantastic Four

-Wonder Woman (Sandra Bullock)

-Black Panther (Wesley Snipes)

-Electra (the woman from Alias)

-Black Widow
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Yep, Spidey was my favorite super hero as a kid. [^][^][^][^]

I just wish someone these days would get his name right. [V]

He's called "the amazing Spiderman" for those of you not old enough to remember the original run episodes. [;D]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Anybody here old enough to remember Jonah Hex??
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Anybody here old enough to remember Jonah Hex??
View Quote

Absolutely.  He was a Clint Eastwoodesque character who was featured in "Weird West" comix, an uneasy blend of the supernatural and a certain spaghetti western sensability.  They effed up and tried to remake him as sci-fi character in the late 80's, but that abortion is thankfully little remembered.  He did, indeed, have a fused lip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top