Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2002 5:46:09 PM EDT
This is for sale!!!!!!!!!
I know this is not the equipment exchange forum

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid19/pf1c71a641a50cffd4eca3bdaffd35da4/fdc5104c.jpg[/img]

1988 SUZUKI SAMURAI

SPECIALTY BUILT VEHICLE FOR ROCK CRAWLING AND FOUR WHEELING

WOULD MAKE EXCELLENT HUNTING VEHICLE

· SUSPENSION: SPRING OVER W/MISSING LINK SHACKLES RONT AND REAR.  CJ-7 FRONT SPRINGS ON REAR AND OLD MAN EMU REAR SPRINGS ON FRONT.  RS 9000 F&R/12” TRAVEL W/CUSTOM SHOCK TOWERS. (SUSPENSION  IS VERY SOFT AND EXTREMELY FLEXIBLE)
· STEEPING: TOYOTA POWERING STEERING W Z-LINK AND TRACK BAR (BEST POWER STEERING AVAILABLE)
· DRIVETRAIN: STOCK MOTOR, 1986 5 SPEED W/LOWER 5TH GEAR, NEW CLUTCH, PETRO WORKS GRS II TRANSFER CASE W/SUPER LOW 4.89 LOW RANGE AND SPLIT-H SHIFT PATTERN (ALLOWS USE OF 2WD LOW RANGE W/FRONT HUBS LOCKED)
· AXLES: MODIFIED W/5.13 SIDEKICK GEARS (STRONGEST GEARS AVAILABLE), DETROIT E-Z LOCKERS FRONT AND REAR, BIRFIELD RINGS ON FRONT AXLES, 3/8” STEEL PLATING ON BOTTOM OF AXLE HOUSINGS, 3/8” STEEL PUMPKIN CAPS.
· TIRES/WHEELS: 33 X 14 INTERCO SUPER SWAMPER BOGGERS, 15 X 10 EATON MONSTER WHEELS
· MISC: FULL 6-POINT ROLL CAGE SET UP FOR AIR TANK, RCI 5 POINT HARNESSES, HERCULINED INTERIOR, ¼” STEEL ROCK RAILS, CON-FERR FULL SKID PLATE, ARB FRONT BUMPER, CUSTOM REAR BUMPER W/ROCKER GUARDS, WARN 5000 LB. WINCH, ½ TON REAR DRIVE SHAFT, CUSTOM REMOVABLE TRANSMISSION CROSSMEMBER, CD PLAYER, REMOVABLE DOORS, SOFT TOP, AND BIKINI TOP.

Also comes with a extra rebuilt 5 speed transmission.

OVER $12,500 INVESTED

MOBILE # 706-280-0242
HOME#706-673-2223

$ 6500

Ask for Blake or you can email me with questions
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:18:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I bet I could put that thing on its side in under 3 drinks...I mean...uhhh, forget it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Needs Dana 60s.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want a Jeep type vehicle, get a real Jeep or a Toyota Landcruser.  The only thing that Samuri has going for it is that it it is light enough for 2 guys to pick up and move from any obstacles you may get stuck on.  Other than that it is underpowered, parts are weak, too small.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 12:19:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Needs Dana 60s.
View Quote

And a Chevy 350.

And a Chevy 5spd.

And probably power steering.

A few off-road lights would probably be nice.

The ARB's are nice provided they are front and rear.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks fun, but $6,500 for a 14 year-old Suzuki is a lot of money.  I guess the question would be whether or not you trust the guy that did the work.  If so, it sounds like a good buy if that's the sort of toy you want.

> FULL 6-POINT ROLL CAGE SET UP FOR AIR TANK, RCI 5 POINT HARNESSES

Nice extra protection, but are you sure that's legal in your state?  In mine, most additional safety features on vehicles are not.z
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#8]
This Sami is pretty stable. It will go up things that I will not go up and very tuff despite some remarks. It is being sold due to the fact that a Jeep Scrambler is already being built. It will go up just about anything in Telico Plains,TN. You can put a floor jack under any tire and lift it as high as the jack will go and all 4 tires still touch. It is hard to jack up with a High Lift!
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmm, since this is a Vehicle forsale topic...  [:)]

[url=home.cox.rr.com/rwhitehill]For Sale[/url]

[img]home.cox.rr.com/rwhitehill/P4260008-2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Thats more like it!
SWEET
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:12:23 PM EDT
[#11]
That thing doesn't look wide enough.

I still want a PreBan MilSpec HumVee Wagon.
Not the Civilian model but straight off the showroom floor Military model. I will take it with the Turret and I want a detachable 30Cal Minigun a detachable .50 Cal and a detachable TOW rocket launcher as options.

Ben
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#12]
That thing doesn't look wide enough.

I still want a PreBan MilSpec HumVee Wagon.
Not the Civilian model but straight off the showroom floor Military model. I will take it with the Turret and I want a detachable 30Cal Minigun a detachable .50 Cal and a detachable TOW rocket launcher as options.

[img]http://www.drallizar.com/images/draz1.jpg[/img]

Ben
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:51:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Having been the President for a large four wheel drive club for several years, I can say that there are some folks here that have some large misconceptions about fourwheeling and Samurais in particular.  Factory Jeeps are hardly build for serious rock crawling...take a look at any 4WD magazine and you'll see tons of upgrade parts for Jeeps.  Their axles were notoriously weak...that was the main problems with them.  As far as other trucks, I had two Land Cruisers, and from experience, the engine, while full of torque, had very little horsepower to push such a heavy truck on the road.  Many, including me, went to fuel injected 350's.  The axles, however, besides the birfield issues, were never a problem.  I've seen guys do some crazy things with 400+ horsepower, and destroy transfer cases or just absolutely unload on a huge rock, but the axles held.  They're kinda between a D44 and D60 in strength.  Larger trucks are of course a problem on tight rock trails, so you don't see them much.  Samurais, while extremely light, have some stout-for-application parts.  their axles are modeled directly after Toyota Land Cruiser axles.  They're exceptionally strong for the amount of power and weight that the Sammi has.  The axles, even with 33's, are the last thing to worry about on this rig.  With good gearing, which it gets from the Petroworks T-case, the load on the clutch willbe minimal.  The only things you'd ever have to worry about on this truck are street and highway power, and on-road clutch wear.  The 5.13:1 ring and pinions will help, but they spin up quick.  The only problem this truck will have on the trail is its lightweight.  There are very,very few places where this could be a problem.  Examples would be the top of Holy Cross City trail in Colorado (that big almost vertical rock) and Surprise Canyon in Panamint Valley, Ca (I believe that might be closed now).  This truck would breeze through the Rubicon like it wasn't there.

BCR308, I love your truck dude, but I got out of that about 3 years ago...

Wanna buy my spring-overed and linked Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 with ARB air lockers F&R, '92 Chevy FI 350, SM420 tranny, extended wheelbase, full roll cage, 5 point harness, Warn 9000xi, Rancho 9000s, and slightly too-small BFG 33X12.50 MT's?  I'd sell it cheap.

Its really sad when you put that much time and money into something and then you decide to walk away.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
... are you sure that's legal in your state?  In mine, most additional safety features on vehicles are not.z
View Quote

Great, another idiotic law for me to resent.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Great, another idiotic law for me to resent.
View Quote

Agreed.  The head of the state police in SC for decades, JP Strom, strongly believed that the only reason someone would add safety equipment to a vehicle (like wider seatbelts, stronger latches, add more points of contact, wear a helmet, etc.) is because they intentionally drive dangerously.  That's some seriously faulty logic.  I have car insurance, but that doesn't mean I intend to use it.  Of course, this is the same guy that argued that not requiring someone to sign for ammo when they buy it would cause the murder-rate to skyrocket.z
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#17]
The little Suzukis are suprisingly durable offroad vehicles. Their bad reputation stems from idiots driving them in an asinine fashon onroad. As to the new "jeep" incarnations, I'll take a MB/GPW, or a M-38A1, thanks.

Big V-8's, and slushbox automatics unless heavily modified tend to just make deep ruts, and leave interesting bits of metal on the trail, or in the backcountry.. I've seen two cylinder 4X4 trucks that will outperform near any off the lot condition "suv"..

-Meplat
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:34:55 PM EDT
[#18]
All the pics posted look great. Specially the HumVee. However, give me a Land Rover any day.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Sami's are great, but the short wheelbase can make for some fun on the trail.  One of the benefits is supposed to be that they are cheap to build.  That does not appear to be the case with this rig.  Dude, it is a trail rig,  where are all your dents?
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This Sami is pretty stable. It will go up things that I will not go up and very tuff despite some remarks. It is being sold due to the fact that a Jeep Scrambler is already being built. It will go up just about anything in Telico Plains,TN. You can put a floor jack under any tire and lift it as high as the jack will go and all 4 tires still touch. It is hard to jack up with a High Lift!
View Quote
Tellico Plains? I was just there! 'bout a thirty minute hop for me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 11:17:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Needs Dana 60s.
View Quote

And a Chevy 350.

And a Chevy 5spd.

And probably power steering.

A few off-road lights would probably be nice.

The ARB's are nice provided they are front and rear.
View Quote

Why a Chevy 350 and tranny? He looking to push it to the mechanic every week? [:P]
View Quote

Ford fan are we Wolfpack?
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 3:33:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Green_Furniture,
It would be perfect for you. I would look nice behind the Porche.

Mejames,
It is not a school bus. It will fit into small places thus no dents.

Thanks for all the input guys
bcr308
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 3:41:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Nice Rig!! I wish I had the cash. I have been looking off and on for a stock Samurai to do a build-up on, but people think they are worth their weight in gold, that and there just aren't that many around any more...supply and demand I guess. I think I would like to do one with a 4.0L, nice mix between a small block and a 4cyl...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top