Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2002 11:11:41 AM EDT
Saw it last night for the first time. Strong Kubric influence. What a dark movie. Totally depressing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Saw, thought it was an okay, moviem. Had alot of really good visuals in it. Don't by the entire melting ice caps thing, buy hey, other then that...
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:18:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Saw, thought it was an okay, moviem. Had alot of really good visuals in it. Don't by the entire melting ice caps thing, buy hey, other then that...
View Quote

I think if we produced a greenhouse effect extreme enough to melt part of the ice caps, producing ocean level rises to that extent, the surface temperature would be unbearable.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#4]
the bear was the best character
decent movie, not sure if I'll buy it
the melting ice caps didn't bother me as much as the oceans freezing solid did, from a science stand point, but I'm not an evironmental science expert
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:40:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
.... That whole bit with the aliens at the end, and them bringing his mom back to live for one day, bah.

-Gloftoe
View Quote

I got the impression that they weren't aliens but a more sophisticated robot species.  The reason for that is what Joe said to David.  Something on the order of "after they are long gone, there will be just us."

Rather mediocre movie anyways.  The special effects were cool though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I was interested thoughout the movie because of the thoughts it provoked in my mind about human responsibility for such a being.

I also left the movie disgusted when the plot turned to the boy frozen in the water and the introduction of the “alien beings.”

edited 4 grammer
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
.... That whole bit with the aliens at the end, and them bringing his mom back to live for one day, bah.

-Gloftoe
View Quote

I got the impression that they weren't aliens but a more sophisticated robot species.  The reason for that is what Joe said to David.  Something on the order of "after they are long gone, there will be just us."

View Quote

???
Joe was part of the "sophisticated robot species"......the tall slender telepathic beings near the end which freed the boy from the aircraft (in the frozen water) were the aliens.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#8]
When's your birthday?

I never had a birthday....

His name is David.

are you my mommy?

How can I co exist as a member of your family if you dont love me and I never die?

LOL

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:57:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
???
Joe was part of the "sophisticated robot species"......the tall slender telepathic beings near the end which freed the boy from the aircraft (in the frozen water) were the aliens.
View Quote

No, Joe wasn't.  He just indicated that long after humans were dead that the machines would still be there.  What were "aliens" (at least I thought) were evolved robots.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

[quotes from the movie]

View Quote

How about the simple "You'll break."
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#11]
from what I've read and heard the things at the end are really advanced robots. The humans died out and the robots kept modifying themselves and "evolved"
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:04:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Part that got me was David's immediate realization that the person he loves "Mommy", who programmed him to love her, would die leaving him to be without her for eternity.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Gloftoe
View Quote

View Quote

???
View Quote

The beings that were conducting the archeological dig at the end were evolved robots. Humans where extinct and the robot, David was a missing link of sorts.

Kind of like mechanized Darwinism.

Edited to add:

Quoted:
What a dark movie. Totally depressing.
View Quote

End edit

Similar to H.G.'s view of the future with the Morlocks and the Eloi

Quoted:

Strong Kubric influence
View Quote

Finally I agree with something SA things.

"A bit of the ole IN, Out"

and

"Will I ever dream?" ,  "Yes Hal"

Pretty deep stuff....too bad most of ya'll missed it.

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
???
View Quote

No, Joe wasn't.  He just indicated that long after humans were dead that the machines would still be there.  What were "aliens" (at least I thought) were evolved robots.
View Quote

That is a reasonable intrepretation and one that to me adds more substance to the ending.
I thought the aliens were biological and not from earth.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Previously posted, when this was first run on the big screen:

Humans are ugly. If we destroy ourselves/civilization, we might deserve it.

All thoughts and actions are recorded forever. Fits with Christianity, Buddhism, and Native American religions, Edgar Cayce, to name a few.

Most impacting movie, have ever seen.
Tolerance for shitty people has been decimated, since the first viewing. Eh, maybe just getting older. . . Upside is, one has more time and energy to share with good people.

Talk about a powerful love story.

Kubrick spent decades on the screenplay. Spielberg may have done a nice touch warm-fuzzy-ing it up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top