Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2002 12:01:32 PM EDT
A couple of months ago when I had bronchitis and was coughing A LOT, a bone, or something popped out of place in my back close to the spin on my right side.

It was very painful, and prevented my from doing any things (including picking up anything that was slightly heavy, and bending over. Putting on socks was a choir). After I couple of days of popping 4 ibuprofen several times a day, I went to go see a chiropractor.

Immediately after I got out of his office, I felt tons better. It still hurt, but nothing like it did. The pain faded away within the next week.

Now, I have a several cold (one of my worst) and I have been sneezing. Every time I sneeze, I get an almost unbearable pain in my back - same spot as before with the coughing. For the next few minutes, I can't do much at all. After that, if fades away and becomes a minor annoyance. I have been popping 4 ibuprofen all day long.

I just sneezed a few minutes ago, it hurt, and I mean HURT.

Think I should go back to the chiropractor?

ComputerGuy
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#1]
You're a little to late on this one.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

Huh?
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 12:10:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Check for a little "gift" sticking out of your ribs, perhaps supplied by a co-worker or former intimate.
View Quote

Again...

Huh?
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, go back.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 12:17:36 PM EDT
[#6]
In 1996 I went to the chiropractor and found out lots of bad things about my back. (And yes sneezing is very painful, I have to take a knee when I sneez). Unless you have a pre exsiting problem you might just have a pulled muscle. That will take a little time to heal. You just have to take it easy for a while. Watch out for the ibuprofen, lots of it is bad for the stomach. What they tell you to take on the bottle is all you should take. If it gets worse go see a back doctor (not a chiropractor) If there is something wrong, now is the time to fix it, or prevent it from getting worse. I am talking from exsperience. Part of my left hip is now part of L4, L5, S1. I have 2 metal bars on each side of these vertabras. Two screws in each vertabras. The disks between L4 and L5 and L5 and S1 was removed and replaced with a carbon fiber spacer. I have two scars one about 4 in and the other 6.

I am making this toooooo long and I am sure you get the point, Get it checked out before you gets worse. Try to stay healthy computerguy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 12:19:34 PM EDT
[#7]
From a fellow L5/S1, one word, accupuncture.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#8]
oblique reference to a "stab in the back"?

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:33:43 PM EDT
[#9]
stop holding your sneezes and go back to the chirpractor.  im serious, i used to kinda hold back my sneezes and i have a bad back and someitmes it would floor me!  let it out man!
i go to the chiro every chance i get.  hes the only one that helps and now its like getting  a hair cut
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:58:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have been popping 4 ibuprofen all day long.
View Quote

Be careful how much ibuprofen you're taking.  Don't go over the recommended dosage on the bottle unless a doctor tells you to.  Also, be sure to take them after you eat.  On an empty stomach, they'll eventually eat a hole in it.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 1:20:39 AM EDT
[#11]
If you end up a long-term NSAID user --Ibuprofen, Naprosen (Aleve), whatever -- and you have good medical insurance, see if you can get an RX for Celebrex or Vioxx. I have chronic arthritis in the knee, and since I had an uncer in '91, the doc won't let me take Ibuprofen at all. Vioxx works almost as well and is less likely to fry your stomach. It's like a smart bomb compared to a drop-and-pray.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Forget the chiropracter.

Go to your doctor and get filmed (Xrayed).

You may either have a pulled/bruised muscle or a broken rib.  In either case the chiropractor won't be able to help you and may even send your rib through you lung if you get adjusted.  The bruised/pulled muscle can only be helped by rest and anti inflamatories.  The Doc can prescrive you a better one than Ibuprofin.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL Don, I don't think this is a self mutilation thread.  Take deep breaths...relax...[:D]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Chiropractor Chiropractor Chiropractor Chiropractor Chiropractor Chiropractor Chiropractor Chiropractor Chiropractor!!!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 9:57:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I would go see a regular MD first to make sure nothing is physically damaged.  If not, I also would recommend accupunture.  In my experience it works much better than chiropractic for alleviating pain from skeletal/muscular problems.  Chiropractic treatment works better as a preventative, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Hell, just sounds like a little gas buildup.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#18]
How does one go about finding a good accupuncturist?
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 11:42:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

First time I saw one was in Singapore.  I enquired through one of our employess who had contacts in the local Chinese community.  In the states, I went pretty much the same route -I asked one of our Chinese-American employees.  Even if they don't know a good accupuncturist, they will generally know someone who does.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 11:47:27 AM EDT
[#20]
This is the kind of question that stuns me!  Why ask a board like this one about a medical problem?
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:00:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Because this is General Discussion, and there's a wealth of knowledge and experience here. Give it a chance; I've learned a great deal just from reading over the past 2 years.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:04:56 PM EDT
[#22]
OK
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:05:33 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

One goes about giving everyone they meet a needle, and saying, "Here, stick me with this, please."  When you find one that feels better instead of worse after, that's your doc.
Why ask a board like this one about a medical problem?
View Quote

We work really cheap.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Computerguy.

I am not trying to scare you, but, please read this. I have a close friend that had a similar complaint starting last summer. He ignored it and the pain went away after several weeks. Two months ago it came back. This time he went to his doctor who did xrays and found that his rib was broken. The reason it was broken, and was before also, was there was a small tumor in the rib. It turned out to be bone cancer. Fortunately he is being treated with radiation and should be cured. (this is his last week of daily treatments, 17 treatments total). I am NOT a doctor NOR am I saying that you may have the same thing. The point is, don't waste time with a chiropractor, get it checked out by an MD. Thanks for listening.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top