Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2002 9:12:45 AM EDT
What would be some of our tactical advantages?

Pro's &  con's - discuss....
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 9:15:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Zap them with lightning, pound them with hailstones, tornados, hurricanes, blizzards, heatwaves, MORE hailstones, then a nice sunny day.

That's when we walk in and accept their surrender.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#2]
...and what could possibly be the con of such a power?
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 9:19:28 AM EDT
[#3]
We'd fvck it up.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Controlling the weather would be cool, I'd make it stormy and freezing cold in a 20 foot cone that surrounds my ex-girlfriend at all times.

But really, THE power for me would be the ability to make someones head explode by just looking at them, like in the movie Scanners - Now that would RULE!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 9:22:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is what I was thinking.

Flood them every time they pull a terror trick.

Hijack one of our planes?  All you and yours get flooded out of your homes.  

blow up or crash into a building?  That'll be 120 years of lighting strikes following you & yours around all over the place, 24 hours a day.

etc...
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#6]
What if we could control the weather?

It would be great at first. We could scare everyone on the planet and continue our dominance.

Of course, later on we would likely discover harmful, previously unforeseen/unpredictable side effects of controlling the weather and about 50 years later we'd start worrying about proliferation of the technology and awaiting the day it was used against us.

Sound familiar?
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Here is what I was thinking.

Flood them every time they pull a terror trick.

Hijack one of our planes?  All you and yours get flooded out of your homes.  

blow up or crash into a building?  That'll be 120 years of lighting strikes following you & yours around all over the place, 24 hours a day.

etc...
View Quote

We would screw it up.

We would "flood out" someplace then wonder why the Midwest was in a drought.......

We would'nt do anything and Florida would be in a drought guess who gets blamed.

We wouldn't do anything, and there would be tornadoes in Indiana.........that's right it would be a government plot.

Someone get's hit by lightining in Iraq........An thje masses would claim that the "Great Satan" is reponsible, and declare Jihad, again.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 9:57:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I suppose that some control of the weather should be possible by constructing large orbital mirrors out of lunar regolith, which should be realaitvly simple the stuff is chock full of alumium and silicon. Depending on wheather you use the mirrors to focus sunlight on an area, or as a shade over an area you could affect solar heating of the atmosphere to direct the direction of storms and such. I don't think that precise control ala 'zap them with lignthing' is possible, but I think that basic control of the weather is something that will happen as I have described in the next 50 years.

Here's an idea, use the mirror system to keep it warm and sunny all year round in the midwest, 3 crops a year instead of 1!
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 10:06:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Here's an idea, use the mirror system to keep it warm and sunny all year round in the midwest, 3 crops a year instead of 1!
View Quote

It takes more than just sunshine to grow crops. What happens when the soil is depleted of nutrients? Or if year 'round sun leads to a shortage of water?

Our ecosystem is the end result of literally billions of years of refinement. We are fools to think we can change it for the better overnight.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 10:08:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Already can to a limited degree---keywords--
weather-tesla-russia-clouds-rain-grids
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#11]
ahhh, it was just a thought.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 10:24:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We'd fvck it up.
View Quote

LOL !!
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 10:57:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

It takes more than just sunshine to grow crops. What happens when the soil is depleted of nutrients? Or if year 'round sun leads to a shortage of water?

Our ecosystem is the end result of literally billions of years of refinement. We are fools to think we can change it for the better overnight.
View Quote

There is not exactly a finite amount of water on the earth.  More warmth tends to lead to more evaporation/humidity, which means more rain/fresh water.  Armed_Scientist is correct.  Longer growing seasons are a direct result of a warmer planet.  

The only thing working against you would be a higher humidity, creating more clouds, thus reflecting much heat back into space.

The earth is wonderfully self-regulating, but does go through many changes over long periods of time.  A few thousand years ago, the Earth was much warmer, and grapes were growing across Canada, and a few thousand years before that, glaciers were melting from across the midwest.

(I am not a big proponent of Global Warming).

Humans have not gotten powerful enough yet to affect the weather in a significant way.  One day, we will.

As to the nutrients, they are added through decomposition of animal life, the sun, and rains.  Crop rotation provides a method of expanding the useful life of soil, and fertilizing, (natural and artificial) can more than replace what nature does gradually.

I hope I have addressed your concerns, we are launching an orbital mirror tomorrow...
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Controlling the weather would be cool, I'd make it stormy and freezing cold in a 20 foot cone that surrounds my ex-girlfriend at all times.

But really, THE power for me would be the ability to make someones head explode by just looking at them, like in the movie Scanners - Now that would RULE!!!!!!!!
View Quote

ROTFLMAO, A Man of SIMPLE WANTS.... hahahaha

Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#15]
You mean that giant Array that is blasting RAYs into everyones head isn't also controlling the wheather...  WHAT KIND OF CHEAP BASTARDS ARE THEY ANYWAY... [%|]

Ben

MY ORDER:
I want 76deg. Partly Clear skys, deep blue (fall sky) with the type light that the sun gives off in the spring(hay if they can control the weather then they can do this to), I want pressure to be 29.95 and 20% humidity.

Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Benjamin----You mean Haarp? naw it is for something else...U.S. Patent number 4,686,605

"cause confusion of or interference with or
even complete disruption of guidance
systems employed by even the most
sophisticated of airplanes and missiles";

See ya learn something everyday....
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd make it rain oil in saudi arabia, make those fuckers live in their own filth.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#18]
And now for the weather;

It's raining oil in Suadi Arabia,

The USA has sunshine and 70 degree weather all the way through the weekend, with slight to moderate rainshowers on monday.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#19]
The SteyrAUG Weather Center brings you the following 7 day forecast...

Hurricanes, Tornadoes and Floods are expected to once again pound the greater Los Angeles, San Francisco and Berekley areas of California on a daily basis.

Localized MASSIVE Earthquakes once again make the US/Mexican border perilous due to their sporadic frequency.

Subzero temperatures once again wreacked havoc on the general middle east, damaging oil production machinerey due to broken frozen pipes.

Temperatures in Somalia once again set new records breaking the previous one of 152 degrees.

For the 52 day a stationary Category 4 Hurricane hovered over what was once the island of The Dominican Republic/Haiti. It is expected to again strengthen to a category 5.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 3:33:33 AM EDT
[#20]
It's been done tactically to a very limited extent.

During Vietnam we cloud seeded over the North constantly in an effort to produce more rainfall and negatively effect their aircraft and transport.  To an extent it worked.  During the US involvment in Vietnam, the rainfall over North Vietnam increased measurably.

The famous Son Tay raid on the POW camp in North Vietnam was unsuccessful because when the US raided the camp, the POW's had been moved.  Reason: too much flooding caused by excessive rainfall.

For every action, there's an opposite reaction.

Ross
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 4:48:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Actually you can make lightening strike a specific target. It's been done and it's easier than you could imagine. The test that I saw was sucessful 5 out of 7 times. You can do it with common items found at most hobby shops. Can we say insurance scam? "Honest mister adjuster! A bolt of lightening hit my house, car, boat, ex, etc......!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top