Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2002 8:06:45 PM EDT
Hello everyone, I was wondering where all of the CA (or is it PRK?) AR-15 owners shoot. I was treated as though I had leprosy or something at San Leandro. What about everyone else? Where can I shoot in peace?

I just recently moved to the Bay Area by the way.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#1]
So, you're stating in a public forum that you illegally brought your AR-15 into California?
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hello everyone, I was wondering where all of the CA (or is it PRK?) AR-15 owners shoot. I was treated as though I had leprosy or something at San Leandro. What about everyone else? Where can I shoot in peace?

View Quote

Where in Kalifornistan??  When I lived in Tx, there were 4 or 5 ranges no more than 1/2 an hour away.  Now, shortest distance is 45 miles one way.  You should be ok at Chabot in the east bay hills.  Los Altos R&G Club is on skyline a couple miles south of Skylonda.  I have a great uncontrolled range near Sac, email me if you're interested.

-hanko
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 9:06:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Geez guys, give the guy the benefit of the doubt.....he just said he moved to the bay area, not to CA!
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 9:15:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I smell cop [devil]
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 9:33:25 PM EDT
[#5]
What will you do without freedom?
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#6]
OSA/Insights in oceanside.

Angelas in LA county.

Sloan Nevada.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

USI range in Concord off Willow Pass rd and Hwy 4. They aren't too bad with AW's but they are a strict group.

Los Altos Rod and Gun Club on Skyline Blvd above Saratoga is pretty AR friendly and also has a tin can range.

Chabot College range. Lots of our bay area guys go there [url]http://www.chabotgunclub.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 10:02:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think I'm ever going back to USI, I just get a bad feeling whenever I shoot there.

Chabot is a great range though, I have always had a good time there.  Rangemasters are pretty strict, but don't treat you like a leper.  It is a bit steep at 12.50 but it's free if you bring a receipt for a new weapon dated within a year.  Beautiful setting as well.

Haven't been to any others in the bay area.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 11:27:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I shoot ugly guns at USI every once in a while and the rangemasters never give me a hard time. Sure, some of the old codgers shooting 22-250 bolt guns give me and my black guns the evil eye on occassion, but it doesn't bother me. It's a cheesy range, but it's close.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 12:41:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow, 9 replys already. You guys are quick. I just moved from the Napa Valley to the Tri-Valley area. Yes, yes I know, I am crazy for leaving the wine country, but there are no jobs out there unless you want to be in food service or agriculture. Out in the Napa Vally, I had a friend with two hundred acres out in the pope valley and gun laws were never a concern because I was shooting on private land. Being in the inner east bay tri-valley area, there are no places to shoot without feeling like I am doing something wrong. So what I am saying is that I'm looking for new places to shoot that are AW friendly. As for being a cop, I don't know what posting here would accomplish, in fact, every police officer I've talked to thinks all the gun laws in CA are bu$#it, (granted, I've only talked to a handful, but that seems to be the general consensus among the cops I've talked to.) Anyhow, for the record, I AM NOT A COP. And I don't take offense to that comment lngbchAR15. I guess that being my first post, it could have seemed a little suspicious. Anyhow, this seems like a real cool site and if I am welcome I would love to stick around. You all seem like a knowlegable bunch of guys. Look forward to spending a lot more time here.

edited twice because I can't spell worth a damn
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 12:57:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Sewer_Urchin, I apologize for assuming you were trolling as well. Since you said you recently moved here, I assumed it was from out of state, and, of course, bringing in an evil gun from out of state is a felony. Anyway, welcome to the board.

The closest place for you to go is Chabot Gun Club. They're off the 580 freeway, and not too far from Tri-Valley. USI is in Concord, which is about a 40 minute drive fro you. It's not as nice as Chabot either.

Most of the ranges have a lot of rules, so if you want to go plinking, you may have to head out on 580 east and try to find some land to shoot on out there. If you find anything, let us know. :)
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 1:36:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the input guys, I'll probably check Chabot out this weekend (I'll leave the AR behind the first time to see if anyone else brings theirs out). By the way, have any of you been out towards on Vasco road in Livermore off 580? Seems like there is a buttload of open land out there past the windmills further out. It might be a hike, but I don't think there is much in the way of population between the windmills at Vasco road all the way to Mt. Diablo. There are also a bunch of rolling hills that could serve as backstops. Hmmmmmm
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#13]
You don't have to leave the AR behind when going to Chabot.  Hell, most days I've been there about half the rifles were black rifles.

As for the land out Vasco Rd., remember things are much different in Contra Costa and Alameda counties compared to Napa.  Plus I think it is mostly ranch land and I wouldn't want to get shot for trespassing.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#14]
You might also want to check out Richmond Rod and Gun Club.  I know lots of their high-power shooters use AR's, so they should be fine with you bringing yours.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I hear that a the streets of Compton work well for the "Cheap" .25 auto.  I don't hear much about ARs though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:30:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Chabot is a good range, in the hills above Castro Valley. Somewhat restrictive, but they have to deal with a lot of idiots, so they keep a very watchful eye out.

Livermore/Pleasanton Rod and Gun is a good range, but the rifle range is closed while they conduct a safety review. If it ever opens up again that would be my choice.

I've been going to the Manteca Sportsmans Club. They regularly hold highpower matches there. $7.00/day for non members, weekday traffic is usually pretty light. Heck, on weekdays I usually shoot all day by myself.

Edited to add that ALL of that land off Vasco is private property or park land. Don't get caught, jail is not nice.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Welcome Aboard
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Why do some of you guys jump on people with low post counts saying there cops? what cop would waste his time trying to spark a conversation on a place to shoot. I am sure just by replying to this topic the ATF is going to kick in your door and arrest you. he was asking where to shoot big deal.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#19]

At the USI range in Concord there is an Action Pistol Club.  Come out and take the class so you can use the action pistol range.  Then you won't be stuck slow firing on the 100 yard range.  You can practce your rapid fire, moving and shooting or whatever.  The only drawback is 4 bays are only about 25 yards deep and the other is 40.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top