Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2010 6:24:53 PM EDT
pretty much useless, save for cowboy action shooting. But I think one of these would be badass. I used a 1866 reproduction in 45lc for cowboy action shooting a few years back, BUT the rifle was not mine

pretty much something like this is what I'm after in either 45LC or 357

so yeah what says the hive?
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#1]
If it has to be a pistol caliber, I'd rather have a '92.

Handier.
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Handier.

but the 73 is quicker and cooler looking than the 92
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#3]
i have a 1873 short rifle. i love it. it has more use than sass.

Ronald
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Handier.

Quicker?
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Handier.

Quicker?

slicker action
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Considering I've seen my dad kill a buck with one, I wouldnt call it useless.

Get the stock with out the pistol grip
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Considering I've seen my dad kill a buck with one, I wouldnt call it useless.

Get the stock with out the pistol grip

I'll probably go the straight stock route, its cheaper, BUT definately going with a 24.25in barrel

Link Posted: 10/30/2010 6:53:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Good choice.  Lots you can do with a 66 or 73.  Short throw kits, spring kits ect.  I got a 92 in 45LC for CAS and while I love it, there's not much that can be done performance wise other than a spring kit.    
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#9]
The 1873 rifle actions are weak.
They are very good looking and very good shooting rifles but the original actions are very weak and will not hold up to the max reload data.
I know this for a fact because my best friend has one and the action toggle links bent after ten rounds of near max .45Colt reloads and it had to be sent back for rebuild.
It is a wonderful rifle and we just adjusted the powder load down so it wouldn't damage the toggles.
I personally shoot the 1894 Marlin, a much stronger action that will stand up to anything you want to feed it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They are very good looking and very good shooting rifles but the original actions are very weak and will not hold up to the max reload data.
I know this for a fact because my best friend has one and the action toggle links bent after ten rounds of near max .45Colt reloads and it had to be sent back for rebuild.
It is a wonderful rifle and we just adjusted the powder load down so it wouldn't damage the toggles.
I personally shoot the 1894 Marlin, a much stronger action that will stand up to anything you want to feed it.

I own a Marlin 1894PG in 44mag. Awesome little rifle to say the least. As for the 73 being a weak design, I know that and don't plan on using full power loads on it. Only CAS type loads
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I own a Marlin 1894PG in 44mag. Awesome little rifle to say the least. As for the 73 being a weak design, I know that and don't plan on using full power loads on it. Only CAS type loads

Then you will be good to go.
My buddies Uberti 1873 Winchester is a beautiful rifle and the action is smooth as silk.
It shoots as well as any lever action rifle that you would want.
Just keep the loads well under max.....
Side note: I also own two Marlins, a 1894 Cowboy in .45 colt and a 1894 .44 mag carbine both are wonderful rifles.....
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Had one in 44 special.  Had to sell it and hope to someday replace it.  They aren't for magnum type rounds, but I put a truck load of cas loads through mine w/o problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top