Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2010 6:06:28 PM EDT
I sometimes wonder what drives the cost of Colt over other manufacturers.
I own a Defender and a 6920. I didn't see the cost of the Defender being out of line
with other 1911s at that time. I bought it in the late 90s and paid about 780 IIRC.
The AR I got NIB but on sale for 1040 I think with some freebies thrown it. MSRP was more.

Now, I could have got a S&W AR or other brand for less.  I didn't do it for threereasons. 1. The freebies were worth about a hundred, no freebies with other ARs at that time. 2. I think that within my lifetime Colt may be gone or not making ARs for civvies. So, resale potential on Colt might justify extra price. 3. The first gun I paid much attention to was my M16A1 I was issued in the USAR. It was a Colt and was made in Hartford (almost certain) in 1967.

I lived in Conn. and must say that I believe that Colt probably has some high costs related to doing business there. Certainly compared to the companies in the south. However, Mossberg and Savage are also in Conn. and no one would call them expensive. BTW, when you drive by Colt on 1-95 (or is it 295, don't remember) in Hartford, it looks like shit.

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my Colts, I buy them used so price has never been an issue for me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Smart. I don't see many around here used.
I'm gonna start looking harder!!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I got mine used for $800 out the door. NIB 6920's are $1100 shipped if you know where to look.

Comparable rifles from well-regarded manufacturers are that price or more.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My last one was a Combat Elite .45 for 550.00 at my local shop. I still haven't fired it.

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Its like owning Snap-On Tools vs. Craftsman, or a Harley vs. a Honda. I just don't care what it costs, I want, so I get. They all do what they're supposed to do, its just one of those things. If you don't like it then don't get it, or dump it whatever the case. It's all about having a choice.
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 4:31:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My last one was a Combat Elite .45 for 550.00 at my local shop. I still haven't fired it.

That's a sweet deal.
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 4:38:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I just like Colt's.
Only issues i've ever had with any of them is Pythons getting knocked out of time.
Every 1911, AR, SAA, and even cap&ball revo I've owned all worked perfectly.
Resale on them is great.
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 4:41:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Name brand and resale value.
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 4:52:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I paid $639 + tax for a brand new sporter light weight when I was 20. Of coarse that was 19 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 4:52:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I've only bought one Colt new. My XSE. I walked in the funstore to buy the Springfield full Loaded and the guy pulled the Colt out from under the counter and made me drool over it before he gave me the price. At the time the XSE was $725 out the door. My two WWII's were obviously used and I traded a Kimber for my OACP. I bought my Stainless GCNM out the door used for $900.00. I'm in the process of fitting a Wilson beavertail and doing an ultra bright polish on it right now.  I have no idea why all my 1911's have to have the Rampant Pony, but they just do. My AR is a RRA that I bought as a seperate lower then the upper a few weeks later. Saved on it due to no exicise tax on a complete firearm.  I think that has all changed now though.  It was about $125 less back around '03
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 5:54:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Guys I have several 1911's and all of them have served me well. I own a RIA, Springer, Kimber and a couple of others. All of them are excellent weapons each with their own strengths but for me there is something about the Colt 1911 that feels "right". My collection without a Colt was incomplete so I guess for me having a 40 year old Colt made on pre-CNC equipment was just something I wanted. To me it means something to own a pistol made in America, by Americans on equipment that was state of the art at the time and has some slight imperfections, oops I mean "character". Ok Im ready for the 'Yeah colt's have a lot of character" replies!
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 6:18:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a sweet deal.
Sometimes he doesn't research his values all that well...got to get that one into the woods soon.

Link Posted: 10/30/2010 7:15:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I sometimes wonder what drives the cost of Colt over other manufacturers.

UAW.
< Dives into a hole to avoid incoming shitstorm. >

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top