Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2002 9:19:05 PM EDT
I need boots I can walk (hike) in.  I have had Danner Centurion steel toes for a couple years.  They're work great for everything except hiking.  Because they're a little tight in the toes, they rub when hiking seriously.  All my other hiking boots have worn out.  I want a mlitary style boot that works for hiking.  I had hoped to get Danner Acadias but a tried on some Danners locally and the toes are too narrow for me.  I must always look for wide toed shoes and boots but with a narrow heel.  What about Matterhorns.  They look great (with Goretex and all), but are they wide in the toes?  Also, I may (unfortunately have to mail order them , although I probably could get to Seattle or Portland  to look for some) so how do the sizes run?  
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 9:57:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody has Matterhorns that cares to give advice?
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:24:42 AM EDT
[#3]
IMHO...both are good boots, but after '71-'93 in the Army and most of that I traveled by C-130/141 or LPC's (Leather Personnel Carriers) I'm still wearing Danners...in fact one pair still in 'service' is on its third set of soles!! Walking/hiking with steel toes????You're beggin' for blisters or worse...
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:08:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Let me introduce you to the finest hiking boots it has ever been my pleasure to own, "The Courteney Selous".

http://www.courteneyboot.com/ccselous.htm

They are available in the U.S at:

http://www.westleyrichards.com/apparel.asp?Type=The%20Courteney%20Boot%20Collection

While there be sure to check out the guns, very nice, but very $$$$$
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:42:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I tried on the Matterhorns and they were comfy but the tounge folded up wierd. I want to try on the Danners as well.
BrenLover
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:49:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
LPC's (Leather Personnel Carriers)
View Quote

LPCs...I haven't heard that term in years. [:D]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Let me introduce you to the finest hiking boots it has ever been my pleasure to own, "The Courteney Selous".

http://www.courteneyboot.com/ccselous.htm

They are available in the U.S at:

http://www.westleyrichards.com/apparel.asp?Type=The%20Courteney%20Boot%20Collection

While there be sure to check out the guns, very nice, but very $$$$$
View Quote

Son of a bitch :) beat me to it. I have the selous and the bushveld. They are made from 100% cape buffalo and Impala lined. They also sell shoes made from ostrich and Hippo.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:12:02 AM EDT
[#8]
It really matters how your feet are shaped. Personally, I don't think the Matterhorns fit most feet very well. They tend to be narrow in the toe area compared to Danners. They're both constructed very well though.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:20:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I have Matterhorns and love them. I broke then in climbing Mt St Helens before I left Washington State. They are the most comfortable boots I have ever worn.

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#10]
All I really need to know now is which are wider in the toes, Matterhorn or Danner.  As I stated, I have wide toes, narrow heel.  The Danners have a narrow toe for me.  
Quoted:
I don't think the Matterhorns fit most feet very well. They tend to be narrow in the toe area compared to Danners.
View Quote
[shock]Oh No! They're both narrow toed!?!  I'm heading for Seattle/Tacoma in June.  I'll see what I can find there.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 1:55:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Sort of OT, but I was wondering if anyone knew if Danner's different style boots generally sized the same.  There is only one local place anywhere near me that carried Danner's, according to their website, and they only carry the "PC" boots and none of the "evil" black boots.  If I were to size based on one of the styles they do carry, are chances relatively good that I could order that size in a different style and get a good fit?  I realize that I should really be trying on the specific boot I want to buy, but it doesn't seem like that is an option here.  I plan on making sure the place I buy from allows returns, but I want to try to minimize the chance I'll need to do that.

Thanks,
Rocko
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 2:05:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Have had several pairs of both, the Danners are slightly higher quality than the Matterhorns (After about a year, to a year and a half 1 pair of all leather copies of the Go Devils boot had a portion of the inner sole collapse, but AAFES gave me another pair in exchange.)  The Danners as several have point out already size slightly tighter than the Matterhorns, which are closer to issue boot sizes.  The sole on the Danners are slightly wider because of the style of sewing them on, vice the meathod used by Matterhorn.

Overall the Danners are a slightly better boot, but not enough for most to justify the increase in price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top