Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/26/2010 2:13:38 PM EDT
The US is just like Canada now

you can't do anything in your house without the federal government's involvement

Thanks to a new rule (not a law, but a rule) by the EPA anytime you have any contractor do any work in your home, they will ask you what year your house was built.

If you don't want trouble, tell them a date AFTER 1978

if your home was built before then, they have to charge you to do a test for lead based paint around any part of the work they will be doing first.

Lowes is coming to install a new floor in my kitchen and I fell into the trap.

the base boards in my kitchen are not even painted, they are stained, but I had to pay some jackass $15 for a test before they could do any work.
The United States government is full of cocksuckers and most of them work at the EPA

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Try being a contractor and dealing with this shit.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:16:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I told the guy at Lowes if there was any hassle whatsoever, I was going to cancel the install and just by the flooring and have a guy a know put it in on the weekend.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Or only hire people you know for cash under the table.

eta: Beat by 4 seconds.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:16:52 PM EDT
[#4]
The government owns you and your home. Get used to it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#5]
They started down the insane slope with asbestos.  Now they're using the "success" of asbestos regulations as the model for all sorts of stuff.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Inhaling lead dust or having to test for it?

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:18:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The government owns you and your home. Get used to it.

I refer back to the last sentence of my original post

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

ROFL!

I had just gotten on base (Eglin) the other day and they're doing demo work on an old building.  Guys is Tyvek suits, respirators, the whole 9 yds.  Probelm is the wind was about 25 kts at 190 blowing right back over the road and towards adjacent buildings.  I just took a deep breath, rolled up the windows, and drove thru the cloud laughing inside.  

Ya can't fix stupid.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

you can't do anything in your house without the federal government's involvement

Thanks to a new rule (not a law, but a rule) by the EPA anytime you have any contractor do any work in your home, they will ask you what year your house was built.

if your home was built before then, they have to charge you to do a test for lead based paint around any part of the work they will be doing first.

the base boards in my kitchen are not even painted, they are stained, but I had to pay some jackass $15 for a test before they could do any work.

The United States government is full of cocksuckers and most of them work at the EPA

The law is on your side as a homeowner.  Try being the contractor.

I'm an electrical contractor and have had a couple of "lead safe" jobs.  Everything takes 10 times longer during demolition.  It sucks.  Plus WE carry all the liability as the contractor, not you.  

Thank the government for the increased cost added to your projects, as well as increased time line.  

I should clarify that as a contractor on high end project, we always make it a point to keep dust to a minimum and keep the site clean.  However, double bagging the trash, testing and retesting,  HEPA vacs, negative air, suits, etc. etc. etc.

FUCKING SUCKS.

Again, be thankful you are the homeowner and NOT the contractor.  

In closing, you said it best...

ETA: Lucky for you that you didn't have to attend the class like the rest of us "law abiding" contractors.  Here is a brief of the "lead safe program"...

http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/steps.pdf

The EPA is also working HARD to get rid of any exemptions, including the age exemption (no children under 6, homeowners can get a waiver) and they also want to rid square footage regs (currently set at under 6 sq ft, you don't need to test, unless it's windows).

The most ridiculous part is that HOMEOWNERS don't have to follow LEAD SAFE practice.  Only contractors.  If you work on your own home, you can someone, by law, run the risk of giving lead poisoning to your children.  However, a contractor that you invite inside your home is liable for the $30,000/occurrence fine, plus whatever else they throw at you.  Stupid.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Weir two stoopid two teste fo led ourselfs.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:28:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The problem is that you don't have to test for it yourself.  Only someone being paid to work in your home.  You're free to poison yourself and your family all you want.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

This times 1,000. I took the class. Fortunately for roofing it doesn't affect us TOO much. A window contractor in the same class said, "this will easily turn an $8,000 window job into a $12,000 window job, and that's being conservative." A painting contractor said, "I just won't paint pre-'78 houses any more. I can't afford to."

And yes, this law was passed without congress.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem is that you don't have to test for it yourself.  Only someone being paid to work in your home. You're free to poison yourself and your family all you want.  

Been doing that since 1960

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:31:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The rest are in congress, the senate, and the white house.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:31:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

ROFL!

I had just gotten on base (Eglin) the other day and they're doing demo work on an old building.  Guys is Tyvek suits, respirators, the whole 9 yds.  Probelm is the wind was about 25 kts at 190 blowing right back over the road and towards adjacent buildings.  I just took a deep breath, rolled up the windows, and drove thru the cloud laughing inside.  

Ya can't fix stupid.

Hurray for safety!
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Saw the shit they have to do now on an episode of This Old House.

God damn the shit you have to do.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Nope, they don't pull that kind of intrusive BS in Canada
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:49:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd spend $20K in tools to make my own flooring before I would give them cocksukers $15 to come to my house.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#19]
You should *accidentally* drop and break a CFL bulb...
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Building codes are why we have nice things.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#21]
DIY all day long,  dont invite them into your home.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:56:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Or only hire people you know for cash under the table.

eta: Beat by 4 seconds.

Or do it yourself; homeowners are exempt.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I'd spend $20K in tools to make my own flooring before I would give them cocksukers $15 to come to my house.

It's not actual EPA agents who come into your house. ALL contractors have to follow this now or face massive fines AND prison time.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Where did you find someone to do it for $15?  I'll sub contract that guy out all day and make a mint!
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Remember that whole, better funded, better armed, better trained Civilian Force the OBAMESSIAH spoke of during the election of 08?

THATS THE EPA, trust me we will find the EPA to be the new Gestapo......
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This times 1,000. I took the class. Fortunately for roofing it doesn't affect us TOO much. A window contractor in the same class said, "this will easily turn an $8,000 window job into a $12,000 window job, and that's being conservative." A painting contractor said, "I just won't paint pre-'78 houses any more. I can't afford to."

And yes, this law was passed without congress.

That's the big myth.  EPA derives its authority from enabling legislation passed by Congress; according to the law the EPA has the authority to set rules on lead paint.

Congress could easily strip the EPA of their authority, but they don't because they like having someone else do the dirty work.

Congress likes to play the game of taking credit for something that people like, but then blaming things people don't like on "out-of-control bureaucrats".

And yes, Republicans are the worst offenders because they are supposedly against bigger government, but they don't really do anything to cut it back.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:03:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Point of fact: this rule WAS passed during the Bush admin and just recently came to its date of taking effect.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not actual EPA agents who come into your house. ALL contractors have to follow this now or face massive fines AND prison time.

There is documentation that goes to them regarding the test?

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:05:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Yep, our house was built in 1983, so we are good. The contractors redoing our bathrooms told us about this.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Where did you find someone to do it for $15?  I'll sub contract that guy out all day and make a mint!

that is what Lowes charged me

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Yep, our house was built in 1983, so we are good. The contractors redoing our bathrooms told us about this.  

and from now on, that is my standard answer.

my house was built in 1980...

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:53:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Has there been any sign of enforcement?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:54:00 PM EDT
[#33]
oh and did I mention that The United States government is full of cocksuckers and most of them work at the EPA?

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Im closing the doors on my company this weekend...this is just yet another reason for me to feel justified doing it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:05:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Point of fact: this rule WAS passed during the Bush admin and just recently came to its date of taking effect.

Don't you go bringing facts and reason into this, we're busy being outraged.

/Amazingly, what you don't know *can* hurt you

//RIP Steve McQueen

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but we (contractors) are required to keep documentation of all our jobs, if we did the test, what the results were, and how we handled it, for three years.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ROFL!

Ya can't fix stupid.

Hahaha!! I can actually visualize that story.

I once helped a friend take off a blue barrier coat off his Tayana 37'. We wore shorts, sunglasses, drank beers and went at it with 9" pads and radials all the way down to the gel.

All of a sudden a swarm of yard folk were on us screaming and yelling. I guess that stuff is not good to have on you, we both looked at each other and laughed.

We looked like smurfs.

Oops....!

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:17:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Yep.  I've been dealing with this as a landlord.  It's definitely had an impact on how I do things, and it's cut out lots of work for contractors who can't afford the HEPA equipment, etc. that the new regs require.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#39]
If I lied to the contractor and told them my house was built in '80 that wouldn't screw them with the EPA would it?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Fuck the EPA. Can't even paint a car in my backyard any more.

*Mod Note: EPA is not a police agency, dispite what they think. Not cop bashing *
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:28:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

*Mod Note: EPA is not a police agency, dispite what they think. Not cop bashing *

They have LEOs.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

For real.  We've been doing $500 a pop and can't do them fast enough to catch up.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have LEOs.

Fuck their Ideals?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:31:16 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I shall have to take a dump in my high flow, low efficiency toilet that's sitting in my bathroom that's lit by incandescent light bulbs.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
<snip>

We have milk in bags now?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Most folks just don't realize that we are too stupid to make decisions for ourselves.  Thankfully big brother is there to look out for us
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't you go bringing facts and reason into this, we're busy being outraged.

/Amazingly, what you don't know *can* hurt you

//RIP Steve McQueen

While we are on the subject of facts: Bush was an asshole.
What does who passed it have to do with the fact that the United States government is full of cocksuckers and most of them work at the EPA?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but we (contractors) are required to keep documentation of all our jobs, if we did the test, what the results were, and how we handled it, for three years.

Say you find it.  what are you supposed to do?

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I shall have to take a dump in my high flow, low efficiency toilet that's sitting in my bathroom that's lit by incandescent light bulbs.

Just be sure it's a bilingual dump, or there's going to be hell to pay.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just be sure it's a bilingual dump, or there's going to be hell to pay.

Will do, good sir. I wouldn't want to be sent to the gulag.

C'est ce que je vais faire, mon cher monsieur. Je ne voudrais pas être condamn&eacute; au goulag.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top