Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2002 7:50:14 AM EDT
I have a 2001 Chevy S-10 4wd extended cab.

The thing shuts off at like 98mph!  How can I stop it from doing this?  

I was told I could get a superchip or something like that, but isn't there a way to do it without spending a few hundred dollars?

thanks in advance

medcop
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:54:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you have some dying need to go faster than 98mph??

Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#2]
The answer is no. THe coomputer kills the fuel flow at a preset speed. Many cars today have speed limiters and the speed at which theycut off varies by car and manufacturer. My budies blazer does the same thing atb about 100, when I was driving a rental malibu it would cut off at 105. My dad's maxima cuts off at like 117. The computer has to be told that those speeds are OK which will require a chip or some other reprogramming means.

Unless your running a speed rated tire you shouldn't be runing anything faster than that especially in an S-10. THey don't have very good brakes and are pretty unstable at over 100. Hell their pretty unstable all the time.

It used to be that if you bought a Z28 and didn't get the option of high performance tires that it was speed limited. Even BMW's are speed limited to 155 mph.[:D]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:04:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I have no to go faster or even that fast.  However, I would like to know that if I ever needed it to it would/could.

No big deal...just thought I would ask.

Thanks for the info.

medcop
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:08:56 AM EDT
[#4]
My new 2002Chevy Siverado 4x4 shuts down at 98mph as well. I was wondering about it too.
CAPITALIST
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:09:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:11:56 AM EDT
[#6]
My Chevy Silverado does the same thing (96mph I think?)  A performance chip is the only way around it, I've been told.

Guncrazy's right about the speed-rated tires, though.  When the dotted line begins to look solid, tire failure is the last thing you want (especially on the front wheels).
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:12:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Medcop,

When you say it "shuts off" at 98, do you mean that the engine actually dies, or that it just won't accelerate any more?  Because it seems to me that a feature that kills the engine at almost 100 mph isn't such a great idea, especially if you lose the power steering and brakes as a result.  
View Quote

Mine shuts the engine down at 98 mph, but it starts back up again if you take your foot off the pedal. The brakes and power steering still work when it shuts down
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:14:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know if you would call it shutting off...more like the fuel stops going to the motor.  When you hit 98 it stops going faster and appears to die for a split second.  You don't lose power stearing or anything like that.  It "comes back on" (for lack of better description) in a split second also.  

Maybe someone else can explain it better.

medcop
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Do you have some dying need to go faster than 98mph??

View Quote

Only on the straitaways!

[:D]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No big deal...just thought I would ask.

Thanks for the info.
medcop
View Quote
Hey want you want is a straight forward answer, and not some judgemental questions or comments about speeding. So here is the straight dope.

All GM products after 1997 have an onboard Primary Control Module {PCM} that is programmed with the OBDII interface. The OBDII is a newer more adaptable PCM that monitors mmany engine parameters faster, provides better monitoring information for the mechanic, and is [b]flash programmable![/b]

Yes it is true that most GM vehicles are speed limited. The only ones that aren't are like my 1997 WS6 Pontiac Formula Firebird. And yes, it [i]does have Z-rated tires[/i] which is one of the reasons it is not speed limited!

But all engine controls are [i]RPM[/i] limited too. The effect of the speed or RPM limiter is to [i]interrupt[/i] engine function [b]momentarily[/b] to hold the speed or RPM below a set value. NO, it does not kill your engine, at least for more than a moment. If you persist in trying to accelerate over the value, you will experience a "stuttering" feeling in the engine as the limiting interrupts in a rapid-fire fashion.

If you desire to alter the parameters of the PCM program, you only have to reflash the chip.
This is done with a programmer. Hypertech is one manufacturer of such programmers. Or you may unbolt your PCM and send it to a speciality shop that does custom programming. This is what I did with mine. I sent it to Ed Wright who runs "Fastchips" in Oklahoma City OK. He specializes in LT1 & LS1 programming though.

HTH!
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:25:24 AM EDT
[#11]
try this link [url]www.superchips.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:47:02 AM EDT
[#12]
sounds more like it goes to IDLE not cut off. this would keep the powerbrakes/steering up without really cutting of the engines fuel flow (which would kill the PB/PS)
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#13]
new chrysler 300's are limited to 120 so just trade that s-10 in. [:D]

FANTOM
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I beleive that it doesnt shut off fuel, what the computer does is retard the timing so you loose posewer till you drop back down to aceptable speed. As Iridium said its mainly because of the tires not being rated for much faster than that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#15]
It isn't worth it. A new chip on a new board even though it cost all of $1.00 in silicon and plastic and $2.00 in software will cost you $700.00-$800.00. Hell you can buy a small Block 350 for that. And get the jump on pushing your S-10 to 140 MPH.

But having had an S-10 , there is no way that I would get that truck past 75 MPH.  It you hit anything you are going to DIE.  There isn't enough Steal in the SOB to save your life.

Ben
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 1:19:26 PM EDT
[#16]
My 1999 silverado Stops at 98. I think you need a power chip or they have a computer that you plug in and reprogram the existing chip.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#17]
My Grand Prix did the same thing.  A chip was the answer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, If you want to go fast buy a Sports Car, something that is made to do that.  I remember a 60 minutes program in about 83/4 where they were Riding around in a Countach Lambourghini. The program opens with them on the Highway and the Narrator saying, "This is Life at 180MPH." The center line were all blured to form one solid orange stripe down the middle of the highway and the Telephone Poles were going by about 3 a second. zipzipzip... It was incredible.  

Check out these streaming movies.
[url]http://www.countach.cc/Movies_____/movies_____.html[/url]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm so sorry, the Surgeon General has determined that driving in excess of 98 MPH can be hazardous to your health.

However if submit to a lie detector test and purchase a 'special use' tax stamp I'm sure your  vehicle can be modified in accordance with applicable regulations [:P]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#20]
THe coomputer kills the fuel flow at a preset speed.
View Quote

If it just kills the fuel pump relay, that should be an easy workaround — just wire a dashboard "go faster" switch that supplies DC power to the relay regardless of what the computer is doing. OTOH, if the computer shuts off the fuel injectors (or tapers back on the amount of time they're open), then that's going to be a little more difficult to fix.

You could probalby "fool" the computer into thinking that you're going slower by installing larger tires, but that introduces another safety issue. Also, I've seen Vehicle Speed Sensor adapters that allow you to adjust the amount of speed the computer thinks it's seeing. Naturally, with either one of these approaches, your speedo readings will be somewhat innacurate.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't know , todays engines are capable of some pretty impressive tricks. Like adjusting the spark for RPM and TIming. Trying to work around the computer may just screw everything up.

Get you an old car and restore it.

Link Posted: 4/19/2002 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a standard '00 S-10. The ride feels pretty solid. I think this is because the standard version is somewhat lower to the ground than the 4WD version. I have experienced the 98mph cut out. I think it just cuts out the fuel injection. The whole truck jerks, and you imediately back off the accelerator. It is very easy to exceed 98MPH, especially on a long drive on empty highways with no cruise control.

The standard s-10 handles very well at over 90 mph, wich I only do on long, straight, empty higways in the middle of nowhere.
I dont think the higher 4WD version would do the same.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#23]
thier are special interfaces that reprogram the computer. they can do WONDERS. i will add, dont speed, you think a superchip costs big, just get a ticket at 103
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks like [b]COUNTY654[/b] is on to something here.

From the Superchips web site: "Most of our high performance programs incorporate the following changes. To begin with we change the stock fuel curves and ignition timing to run on 91 to 93 high-octane fuel. These changes are made from just off idle to redline, in 400-RPM increments, so you get increased power across the whole power band. Superchips Inc. [b]also has the capability to raise the rev and speed limiters on most vehicles.[/b] On some vehicles we can also remove most of the torque management along with firming up the shifts and raising the shift points on most automatics."
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:22:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Stop pushing down on gas pedal at 97mph
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Stop pushing down on gas pedal at 97mph
View Quote

HAHAHAHAHA!  

medcop
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The standard s-10 handles very well at over 90 mph, wich I only do on long, straight, empty higways in the middle of nowhere.
I dont think the higher 4WD version would do the same.
View Quote
Handles good in a straight line???   BWWWWAAAAHHHHHAAAAAA!  That's hilarious.

1.  The reason the power steering and brakes don't go away is because the engine is still turning over, even when the ignition or fuel is cut off, unless you slap it into neutral.

2.  98 in an S10?  Brave fella.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
98 in an S10?  Brave fella.
View Quote

Considering the average speed on the I-5 freeway is about 84MPH, 98 isnt very fast. It's only 28MPH the limit on most freeways.

Driving to Vegas from so cal alot of people are hitting the 120's.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 9:47:48 PM EDT
[#30]
My 1998 Chevy S-10 cuts off at 94 mph. Pisses me off to no end when I am trying to pass truckers on I-65 or I-85 and my fuel shuts off.

Basically, what it does is when you exceed x,xxx RPMs it cuts off the fuel flow to the engine. Once your RPMs drop below a certain level it reopend the fuel line. Since the vehicle or more accurately the engine is still moving at high speed, the engine will turn back over on it own. Since, the crankshaft is turning already there is no need to use the starter motor.

Back on topic, this feature is usefull to some degree in that it prevents you from doing what I did to my 1987 Olds...That was destroying the engine. Then again, I did get that sucker up to 127 mph of I-95 (Florida) before the engine went. I managed to coast a ways as I was going 127 +/- mph. I had to pull off the road when it dropped below 55 mph as the yankees were trying to run me over.

Damn, Olds didn't have a Tachometer to warn me that I was going to fast. No lights came on until it was too late and my engine was already a gonner.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The answer is no. THe coomputer kills the fuel flow at a preset speed. Many cars today have speed limiters and the speed at which theycut off varies by car and manufacturer. My budies blazer does the same thing atb about 100, when I was driving a rental malibu it would cut off at 105. My dad's maxima cuts off at like 117. The computer has to be told that those speeds are OK which will require a chip or some other reprogramming means.

Unless your running a speed rated tire you shouldn't be runing anything faster than that especially in an S-10. THey don't have very good brakes and are pretty unstable at over 100. Hell their pretty unstable all the time.

It used to be that if you bought a Z28 and didn't get the option of high performance tires that it was speed limited. Even BMW's are speed limited to 155 mph.[:D]
View Quote

BMWs are cut off at 128MPH....
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 10:37:52 PM EDT
[#32]
BTW, my S-10 is pretty damn stable at 90+ mph.

It is my mother's Pontiac Trans Sport that is unstable. I can't get that damn thing over 80 w/o it wanting to shimmy like crazy. The speedometer goes to 110 and I've had it up to 90 something (shimmies so bad, I had to decelerate to mantain control). But, I am not sure I'd want to get that thing over 100. It might shake apart or become uncontrollable.

My S-10 goes cleanly to 94 mph with no shimmying. The oldsmobile I destroyed the engine on went cleanly to over 100 mph w/o much shaking at all.

The most f'ed up vehicle I ever drove was a Ford Taurus we got from that place owned by Wayne Hizengua (Auto Something or the other). That thing was total POS. It had attrocious acceleration and didn't like going over 50 mph.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 11:28:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't know about that 1997 start date.

I had an original Saturn SL2 that hit the fuel limiter at something like 107.5mph. The pisser? My 92 Camaro RS that cut off at 102.5mph!!

How embarassing is that. Having a four door that goes faster than your Camaro.... Argh.....
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 11:50:33 PM EDT
[#34]
get a pre-ban!!! this is one case where where the preban would probly cost less hehe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top