Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2002 7:45:33 AM EDT
If this has already been posted I guess close this thread since I didn't see it.  This is bad news for everyone...

HR 4101 IH

107th CONGRESS
2d Session

H. R. 4101
To amend title 18, United States Code, to require firearms, ammunition, and explosives purchases to be made in person and to require records to be kept of the means by which the purchases are made.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

APRIL 9, 2002
Mr. CROWLEY (for himself, Mr. WEXLER, Mr. GEORGE MILLER of California, Mr. ENGEL, Mr. MORAN of Virginia, Mr. CAPUANO, Mr. MCGOVERN, Mrs. MCCARTHY of New York, Mr. BLAGOJEVICH, Mr. CLAY, and Ms. WOOLSEY) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL
To amend title 18, United States Code, to require firearms, ammunition, and explosives purchases to be made in person and to require records to be kept of the means by which the purchases are made.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Electronic Commerce Crime Prevention and Protection Act'.

SEC. 2. REQUIREMENT THAT FIREARMS, AMMUNITION, AND EXPLOSIVES PURCHASES BE MADE IN PERSON; RECORDATION OF THE MEANS BY WHICH THE PURCHASES ARE MADE.

(a) FIREARMS- Section 922(t) of title 18, United States Code, is amended--

(1) in paragraph (1)--

(A) by striking `and' at the end of subparagraph (B)(ii);

(B) by striking the period at the end of subparagraph (C); and

(C) by adding at the end the following:

`(D) any thing of value accepted by the licensee in exchange for the firearm is presented in person by the transferee at the time of the transfer.'; and

(2) in paragraph (4), by inserting `and a detailed description of any thing of value accepted by the licensee in exchange for the firearm' before the period.

(b) AMMUNITION-

(1) IN GENERAL- Section 922 of such title is amended by inserting after subsection (y) the following:

`(z)(1) It shall be unlawful for a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer to sell ammunition to a person not licensed under this chapter unless any thing of value accepted by the licensee in exchange for the ammunition is presented in person by the transferee at the time of the transfer.

`(2) A licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer who sells ammunition to a person not licensed under this chapter shall include in the record of the transfer a detailed description of any thing of value accepted by the licensee in exchange for the ammunition.'.

(2) PENALTIES- Section 924(a)(5) of such title is amended by striking `or (t)' and inserting `, (t), or (z)'.

(c) EXPLOSIVES- Section 842 of such title is amended--

(1) in subsection (f), by inserting `, and a detailed description of any thing of value accepted by the licensee or permittee in exchange for any explosive materials so distributed' before the period at the end of the 1st sentence; and

(2) by adding at the end the following:

`(q) It shall be unlawful for a licensee or permittee knowingly to sell any explosive materials to any transferee who is not a licensee or permittee, unless any thing of value accepted by the licensee or permittee in exchange for the explosive materials is presented in person by the transferee at the time of the transfer.'.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:53:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Great, another solution to a non-issue.  I don't think it will fly...

Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:56:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Great, another solution to a non-issue.  I don't think it will fly...

View Quote

For once I actually think this won't pass as well, but even the idea that they want to try I think means to expect worse in the future.  Or possibly less worse so they can gradually move to something like this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top