Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2002 3:45:10 AM EDT
What's the worst state for gun owners?

Consider:

Foid cards, registration, restrictions, confiscations, waiting periods, class 3, CCW, open carry, gun range rules, locations to shoot, etc....

If I've missed a good (bad) one, do a write-in vote.

Link Posted: 4/19/2002 3:48:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 3:50:07 AM EDT
[#2]
New York!
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 3:57:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
New York!
View Quote

I thought about adding NY, but I only had 5 slots.

NY City is obviously HORRIBLE, but the State of New York isn't too bad, is it?
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 4:18:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I lived in NJ until this past labor day, so I voted for that state.  Chock full of pansies, "guns kill" folk, and "the police will protect me" kinds.  I miss my family, but I'm glad to be gone otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 4:38:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Massachusetts.

[url]http://www.state.ma.us/chsb/frb/Approved_Roster2002.pdf[/url]  [frag]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 4:45:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Maryland has an approved roster as well.

also, on Regulated Firearms (all pistols, many evil rifles):

- 7 day waiting period

- 1 gun per month limit

- integrated lock requirement getting phased in

required

- required safety course

and 20 round limit on buying/selling/transfering mags

effectively NO CCW available

Link Posted: 4/19/2002 4:51:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm in agreement with F4YR, Maryland sucks.
I hope to be following your lead hear shortly and moving to PA. Congrats on getting out of the Peoples Republic of MD.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 4:58:18 AM EDT
[#8]
CA = Highly publicized but not the worst.

NJ = Rarely publicized, I think cause people have resigned to the fact that the state has no hope. Worst by far. At least in CA you can still have hi-caps, can't buy new ones, but they don't make you put a block on em.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:08:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think Kali is the worst.

You can't buy AR-15 (or the like) anymore.

The ones you own are registered and will probably be conficasted at some point.

When you die your kid can't get your AR-15, the state steals it.  (you don't even really own it, you are just borrowing it effectively)

Can't buy hicaps anymore.

Face it - a few decades from now there will hardly any "assault weapon" owners in Kali.

Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:51:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

NJ = Rarely publicized, I think cause people have resigned to the fact that the state has no hope. Worst by far. At least in CA you can still have hi-caps, can't buy new ones, but they don't make you put a block on em.
View Quote

I have to say its REAL close but, the winner (loser) has to be CA.  At least I can go to the shop and buy new post-ban ARs whenever I want.  Albeit with 10 round mags...

But I agree, NJ is rarely publicized regarding this issue and CA seems very much more high profile.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:18:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Another minus for Kali is that it is full of anti-american, anti-everything, Hollywood actors!
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:24:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd say tie  between Kalifornia and Massachusetts. Almost everything that can be called a weapon is regulated. Guns, knives, swords, martial arts equipment...
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:34:16 AM EDT
[#13]
[i]Right now[/i] NJ isn't [i]all[/i] that bad.  Plenty of ranges to shoot at, no restrictions like "approved lists", FOID cards issued to almost anyone.  No special ammo restrictions (HP is legal, despite the rumors). No drop tests or consumer product safety intervention.  Forget CCW, 30 round mags, AKs & pre-bans, but I can live without those.  

The real clinker is the "smart gun" bill that's in the works.  This bill exempts cops, who were to be the original beneficiaries of this technology.  It will outlaw the sale of all other handguns on the day the first "smart gun" is delivered to the first dealer anywhere in the USA, whether it works or not.  Needless to say, we're lobbying furiously to kill it.  We're also lobbying to get cops required to have them, to get them against it.

Then NJ will be the undisputed king of "bad gun states".
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:01:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Even though I live in MA, from what I've read and heard, CA seems worse.

One note about NY, my 16 yr old daughter can shoot competitive handgun everywhere around here, except in NY. Pisses me (and her) off.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:15:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Maryland.  Read Maryland Attorney General Curran's manifesto "[i]A Farewell to Arms[/i]"

He's not even [i]apologetic[/i] about his plans to use all current laws and anything he can see passed to [i]completely eliminate[/i] private ownership of firearms in the state.

Under his direction people with minor convictions far in their past are having their firearms collections confiscated.  You don't see [i]that[/i] even in the land of the Caliban.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:19:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I just remembered...we got Hillary Clinton!

NY wins hands down!
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:24:12 AM EDT
[#17]
CA is probably worse, but I voted for MD anyway.

Where do you think NJ got the idea for the "smart gun" bill?  We had to fight one of those two years ago.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:30:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I should say DC but MD is close enough.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:37:38 AM EDT
[#19]
You forgot:
Conn
Illinois
Michigan
Ohio
Penn
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:40:39 AM EDT
[#20]
worst State....apathy
                    Gib187th

"The most powerful weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed."
                               Stephen Biko
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:44:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:45:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

NY wins hands down!
View Quote

[b][size=3]WE HAVE A WINNER![/b][/size=3]
How can you argue with that!

medcop
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:54:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I know there are several other states that are worse overall, but in minnesota "evil assault weapons" require you to be 21 like it is for handguns.  I'm still several months too young to buy my first evil gun.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I should say DC but MD is close enough.
View Quote

it ain't a State.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

NY wins hands down!
View Quote

Ray, you just swayed my vote!

Except for NYC, most of the state ain't all that bad though. (Minus their political preferences of course!)
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Man is this a no-brainer. The state I swore allegiance to as a National Guardsmen is now considering a [b]sin tax on sodapop[/b] because it alledgedly makes you fat!

Guess which state that is...
[8P] ...hint,hint.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You forgot:
Conn
Illinois
Michigan
Ohio
Penn
View Quote

Connecticut?! Are you kidding me?!  Do you have any idea how many crimes the CT state AW ban has prevented...[whacko]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 12:11:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't forget the sate up North Canada lol. We got some bad laws up here. At least we dont have the pre/post ban law thank god. Everything here would be pre ban like my Sig 551 or a BRS-99.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You forgot:
Conn
Illinois
Michigan
Ohio
Penn
View Quote

Pennsylvania as one of the [i]worst[/i]?!  Man, I didn't know that the no-hunting-w/SA rule could tick one off so much.

Really, though, voting PA as one of the worst states is kind of a stretch.  (okay, a big stretch)
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Booo!
At least in Kali, an 18 year old can buy an M1A or an FAL reciever.  MD is not the same story.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I vote a three way tie...Kalifornication, New York and New Jersey! If I have to vote only one, Kalifornication due to the huge population.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 9:06:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Pennsylvania as one of the [i]worst[/i]?!  Man, I didn't know that the no-hunting-w/SA rule could tick one off so much.
View Quote

No, it's more the 70 plus year State Police run illegal registry of gun owners that gets me.

Corrupt cops and gun registration rolled into one. Great place to live.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top