Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2002 1:24:26 AM EDT
A pretty good sim. Primary (eventually) is an M4 w/M203; the (physical & visual) models are amazingly accurate. The games textures & models are enhanced with a "high-def" upgrade to enhance appearance, & it shows. The attention to detail - sight windage & elevation wheels, receiver block reinforcement patterns, bolt release - is really about the best I've seen in a 3-D FPS. The distinctive M4/.223 "pop" is also downright authentic.

Object performance differences between "Blue Shift"'s M4 & the MP5 in the original "Half-Life" are noticeable. The .223/5.56 rounds are accurately imbued with greater range, accuracy, & lethality, as in the real world.

"Opposing Force" comes bundled along with it, and at $16.00 (Costco), it's a nice CQB romp on a wet Seattle day. I give it 2 brews up.[beer]

[heavy]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 2:38:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I love the entire Halflife series, but it's not really realistic.

Soldier of Fortune 2 is far closer, but even that has a ways to go.  The models are a lot nicer as well.

The M4 in SOF2 has a slower cyclic rate than it should have in real life, and it is far too easy to fire single shots in auto mode as a side effect.  The ballistics of the weapon are simulated fairly well.  Anyone hit with a three-round burst of 5.56mm isn't getting back up anytime soon.

My major gripe about the weapons in the game are that they are artificially balanced; meaning, that they are tweaked such that one weapon isn't clearly better than another, even though that is the case in real life.  

It's been my experience that one shouldn't judge realism in games by the way the weapons function; they'll always come up short, simply because a true simulation of combat wouldn't be fun.  One should judge realism by how the player is forced to act if he wants to succeed.  In SOF2, you're forced to take cover, keep your head down,  take *very* careful aim, etc, if you want to get anywhere.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Half-life's M4 fired 9mm rounds in .223 mags. The Berreta M9 ejected its brass out the muzzle. Haa Haa!

Half-life was good as an FPS, but is not as great as people make it out to be. I personally thought the later levels in the original game were kind of boring.

Blue shift was too short! beat it in two nights.

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Half-life's M4 fired 9mm rounds in .223 mags. The Berreta M9 ejected its brass out the muzzle. Haa Haa!
View Quote

I hadn't really noticed the M9 ejection characteristic. I think the manual guys got their wires crossed on the gun details. I noticed the M4's magazine discrepancy right off. The sound & apparent performance differences, when compared with "HL"'s MP5, leads me to opine that it's a .223, rather than the 9mm that the writers "think" it is. [;)]

Also Quoted:
Half-life was good as an FPS, but is not as great as people make it out to be. I personally thought the later levels in the original game were kind of boring.
View Quote

I agree. Last level in "HL" was pretty wierd. I have to wonder who thought up the boss designs for the games.

Furthermore Posted By Libertoon:
Blue shift was too short! beat it in two nights.
View Quote

I won't lick your pace, as I only am able to play 1-2 days per week. "OpForce" seems to be a pretty good game. I know I had fun playing it through. I still think the M4 in "BS" is pretty fun to romp with. And, like I said, at $16.00, w/"OpForce" included, it's not a bad deal. Besides, I've been hit with parking tickets that cost more. [xx(]

[heavy]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#4]
If you like that then try Return to Castle Wolfenstein.  There is nothing I like better than blasting some Nazi with a head shot and seeing the helmet go flying.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 11:28:21 PM EDT
[#5]
When are they coming out with counterstrike 2?
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:35:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I heard that CS2 would be delayed until May or June, I think. The one to get might be SOF2. I've heard good things about it. Do a search and you'll find photos of the toys in the game. Overall graphics are supposed to be pretty impressive. The weapon models look really good. I hope the performace attributes assigned to each of them are realistic.

[heavy]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:38:12 AM EDT
[#7]
well in halflife atleast the version i have when i was playing death match it said

"cyrax777 killed xxx with Colt 9mm"

not mp5
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#8]
the MP5 and the M4 in Half-life are the same weapon. they just changed the model because the M4 looked cooler. I am 83% certain of this [:D] not to mention they both held 50 buwets.

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:45:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The one to get might be SOF2. I've heard good things about it. Do a search and you'll find photos of the toys in the game.
View Quote

SOF 1 was pretty cool too, but it didn't really matter as there were few servers for it and even fewer players.

Quoted:
the MP5 and the M4 in Half-life are the same weapon. they just changed the model because the M4 looked cooler. I am 83% certain of this [:D] not to mention they both held 50 buwets.
View Quote

I've never played the regular halflife. Does it really have an MP5 and m4? In counterstrike they carry the requisite number of rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top