Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2002 5:27:08 AM EDT
Yup, my #1000 post here! Dang, all of this time wasted, but its been fun folks!
c-rock
Well,

ole c-rock went to the meeting that night, and lets say all that were there for freedom!  I would say easily 500-600 people showed up for the meeting. The chamber was filled, the next meeting room was filled, and the foyer was filled also. Then people were hanging outside too.  All types, all ages. Men and women.  You should of heard the crowd when the pledge of allegence was said.  Something to be proud of.

I would not expect to hear the same from some leftist group that hates America.  

Well, most of the time I was talking to others about guns, and such. Almost like when I hang out at the shop.  :)

The Alderman that put this thing together is a small man. Short hair, pointy nose.  Kinda looked like a rat in a way.  He kept on harping about how these laws would "protect" people.  Thing is, there has been no murders in Des plaines in 3 yrs!  From talking to a FFL holder in there I know, and from reading the bill, he was trying to do couple of things.

First- The Alderman lives next to a FFL holder. The dude is about 3 doors down from him.  I guess he is not happy someone is selling guns out of his house.  The man doing the business is a old timer, been there longer than the other guy.   He was there first!  Still, leftists dont believe in first come, first serve.   He was trying to get him out.  

Second- He was trying to make it more of a hassle to run a business there. Adding stuff that is already done by the ATF.  Owners are fingerprinted already, they are checked out, etc.

Third- This is the part you know came from Chicago- telling shops they cannot sell guns to people who's home city, or county does not allow them to own such weapons, or that they have the proper registration papers in order for taking the gun home!  They want the burbs to enforce the city's laws!  

We all know you will never be able to register a pistol in Chicago.  We also know tons of people from the city buy guns all the time from Maxon's.  They know its illegal to bring them into there, but on NYE, you hear how much the law is respected.  

The Homeland Security Rifle ban was a new one added right before the meeting.  It banned the people and the shops from selling 50's and rifles that hold more than 4 rounds or such.  Maxon's has been selling a lot of them since 9/11 and since there is a bill in the State House trying to ban 50's.  

All in all, this battle was won, but the war is not over yet for a long shot.  I hope you all do your little part, and show up to these types of meetings. Or at least email or call this politicans when junk like this comes up.  

c-rock

Link Posted: 4/16/2002 5:27:58 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.dailyherald.com/main_story.asp?intid=3736218

By Amy McLaughlin Daily Herald Staff Writer
Posted on April 16, 2002

A huge outpouring of residents and others opposed to changes in gun laws turned out to be unnecessary since a majority of Des Plaines city council members quickly discarded the proposal without much debate.

Not since Gov. George Ryan's hearing last summer on Chicago's plan to expand O'Hare International Airport have so many people crowded into Des Plaines City Hall. People packed the 220-person city council chambers and more lined hallways and watched the meeting on television fro•other rooms.

People spoke out against proposed new rules for gun dealers, as well as a law banning assault-type guns such as any with a caliber of 50 or greater.

Claudia Levin said the changes to the firearms dealer rules would force her shop, Maxon Shooting Supplies in Des Plaines, out of business because it is next to a cemetery and a senior living center. Under the proposed changes, a firearms dealer could not be within one-quarter mile of such places.

She also complained about a requirement that dealers would have to enter information about anybody who made a purchase in their shop into a city-controlled database, saying that would only hurt law-abiding citizens.

"We don't want guns in the hands of criminals any more than anybody else," Levin said.

Others said the database could make them a target of anyone who could break into the computer program.

"I did not venture forth lightly when I bought a firearm," said Julia Stagner of Des Plaines. "If you submit my name to a database you are making me a target."

Seventh Ward Alderman Don Smith, who proposed the gun law changes, said it would not keep people from owning firearms for their own protection.

"I think it's reasonable," he said.

Des Plaines resident Vince Powers was the only other person who spoke in favor of the proposed gun legislation. He said people don't need the bigger caliber weapons to protect themselves or hunt.

But, a majority of city council members agreed with opponents, and many noted that there haven't been problems to merit the changes. "I think it's punishing people who are abiding by the law," 1st Ward Alderman Patricia K. Beauvais

Link Posted: 4/16/2002 6:01:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Glad to hear you won the battle.  I grew up there, went to Maine West, Class or '66.  My parents still live there.  

Thanks, c-rock.

Link Posted: 4/16/2002 7:00:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Dang.  Never heard a word about this.  How's Barry been doing?  The city screwed him out of one or two locations before he moved underneath the power-line farm, a pity they're trying to screw him out of that one now.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 9:35:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 11:46:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Dang.  Never heard a word about this.  How's Barry been doing?  The city screwed him out of one or two locations before he moved underneath the power-line farm, a pity they're trying to screw him out of that one now.
View Quote

They been Busy. Their Business has been making $$$ since the 11th. They even have a RO on the weekends at the range.
c-rock
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top