Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2002 11:26:53 AM EDT
I just picked up a Chevy '94 S10 Blazer 4dr (Tahoe options package, so power everything and a fuel injected engine) as my first car, and now I'd like to put an alarm on it.  Can anyone recommend a good, do-it-yourself installation kit with remote start and keyless entry?  I dont need anything superfancy, like the LCD remotes, as for 80% of the year the car will be sitting in my parents' driveway while I am away at college.

I'm looking to spend at most $150.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Look around for a "Viper" or their "no name" brand they put into dearler cars,"Automate."

It's all modular and very easy to install.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 8:22:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Talk to installers at various shops as to their proposal.  A good installation that hides wiring, contacts, siren, and brain to prevent quick disarmament is half the battle.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Look around for a "Viper" or their "no name" brand they put into dearler cars,"Automate."

It's all modular and very easy to install.
View Quote

A company by the name of DEI (I believe thats the name is the mother compnay of Viper.  I had an alarm on my blazer early in the 90's that was identical to the top-of-the-line Viper but I got it for about $300 less than the Viper.  It had a 4 button remote that could be programmed for anything.  1 button unlocked and locked doors, 1 button popped back hatch open, 1 button cranked vehicle, and last button rolled the windows down.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 5:19:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Why would you put a alarm on an 8 year old vehicle? I've got a brand new 2002 chevy silverado 4x4 and I'm not worried. You live in a bad neighborhood?
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#6]
1. My neighborhood has a few trouble makers, those kids that are mentally 12 years old for their entire lives.  They dont like me a whole lot for various reasons, and my parent's garage is full, so my truck gets to sit outside.

2.  Its going to be my range truck, I dont lug all my guns and gear down to the rifle area (the rifle area is below the level of the parking lot and the view is obscured by brush, also the skeet field is about 100 yards from the parking lot down a wooded path), so I want to know immediately if someone is screwing with it.  My girlfriend and I are commonly the first people there on weekends in order to make the most of the cooler mornings on the skeet field before moving on to shooting rifles.

3.  My area is pretty back-woods, the range is like 10 minutes from the mall (when the mall is ~40 minutes away from my house) so shooting trips commonly turn into quick shopping trips when my GF comes along, which is quite often.

4.  I live in MD, #1 in the nation for robbery for the last 6 years running.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds good enough to me. Sorry to question you[^]
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#8]
If you do end up putting in some sort of paging device, may I suggest putting in another antena.  They usually work by plugging in your car antenna into the module then the module into your radio, but that really messes with your radio reception.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top