Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2002 7:42:47 PM EDT
Is there a way to find out if the gun has been stolen, providing you have it's serial number..

Thanks,

Computerguy
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 7:49:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats a hard way to find out if its stolen as the leo will have to confiscate it as its stolen property. You could go to your friend that owns a pawn shop or a dealer you know and trust, sell it to him for one dollar(as with mine it has to have a monetary value to be entered in the computor) then he holds it ten days in his safe you come back and buy it back for one dollar, then he yellow slips you calls it in and if it is clean then you get a clean bill of sale( if its reported stolen then again he has to hold it for the powers that are and you are out a gun! So a good general rule is that if you think it might be hot, better pass on it!  You would not be in any kind of trouble as in any private sall you are allways taking a chance if you don't know the party or see a sales slip(allways get paper if you can)   Anyway you are taking a chance if you try to see if its clean!   bob cole
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Also there are some ATF people going to gun shows selling a firearm to a vender as a private sale.  Then sending another party to the vender trying to get him to sell it to him then busting him when he does so! It seems the law says that a firearm must be owned by an individual for 24 hrs before it can become part of his private collection!  So be very careful when it comes to the ATF! I know a lot of good decent vendors didn't know this and now they are paying the price!     bob cole
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Hay guy, one thing you might want to try. Is to tell the seller that you want to register it to yu if you buy it. Tell him you an him wil go to a dealer and run the gun through the registration process. You don't have to actually do it. If he's willig then he must think it's not hot. But if he says NO, pass it by.   Might help weed out some trouble.  B
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:42:26 PM EDT
[#5]
hey, you can always place the serial number on this board, and wait for one of the feds trolling this board to tell you if it's stolen.
(reality check)
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 10:58:12 PM EDT
[#6]
STOLEN 2-27-97

Bushmaster: L054959
Savage 110FP: F439984
Mossberg 590: L717103
Mossberg 500: J748002
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 8:43:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Didn't there used to be a website called "www.isthisgunstolen.org" (or something) where you could run your serial # against a database of [u]known[/u] stolen serial #'s???
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 8:49:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
STOLEN 2-27-97

Bushmaster: L054959
Savage 110FP: F439984
Mossberg 590: L717103
Mossberg 500: J748002
View Quote

is that why you only have a 10/22 and a .38?
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 7:32:51 PM EDT
[#9]
It wont be a private sale..it'll be through an FFL....
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 3:30:23 AM EDT
[#10]
You will pretty much have to contact law enforcement and let them "run" the weapon. It will be checked against the "stolen gun" file in the national database, similar to the "stolen vehicle" and "wanted person" files. Guns that are stolen stay in this file forever.

However, a large number of stolen weapons are not entered, for one simple reason; the owner does not know the serial number (sad but true). The only way those weapons will be recovered is if the agency encountering them reports them to ATF and has them "traced," a process which entails starting at the weapon's manufacturer and following it though every licensed transfer. If the weapon went through private transfer(s) before it was stolen, tough luck, because there will be no records of it. This process takes a couple of months.

If the weapon is stolen, why would you want to keep it, anyway? It needs to go back to its lawful owner. Don't mess around with a weapon you think is stolen. If you do have a weapon that turns out to be stolen, and you lack a reasonable explanation where it came from (like, I bought it from this guy, here is his name, date of birth, address and driver's license information) you will most likely get charged with possessing a stolen gun, which is a felony in most places.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 7:37:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 7:53:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I have in the past, had local agencies run #s for me. I've never had a problem, but if I did, I would have no problem surrendering the weapon and the persons name I got it from....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top