Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2010 3:21:29 PM EDT
I saw this movie on TV when I was a kid in the early 70's.  It was about a woman that went on a trip to some primitive area such as Africa or South American and brought back a small (carved?) statue.  It was a statue of primitive-type warrior guy with a spear (I think) and it was about 12 or 18 inches high.  This little guy would come to life at night and attack her.  She tried killing it by drowning, cooking in the oven, etc.  I think she finally "killed it" in the end.

It was probably a really stupid, cheesy, lame movie but it gave me nightmares for years.  My parents regretted letting me watch it.  

Any leads?

UPDATE:  "Trilogy of Terror: Part 3" starring Karen Black

"the one with the doll"

The hive mind is good.  And fast.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:24:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Wasn't that an episode of "Night Gallery"?

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Another vote for Night Gallery.  That also sounds like a short story written by the same guy who wrote I Am Legend.  

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo ...

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Another vote for Night Gallery.  That also sounds like a short story written by the same guy who wrote I Am Legend.  

Don't know, I just went through the episode guide and nothing looked right for it.

The OP's description does ring a bell.  Twilight Zone, maybe?

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm thinking new twilight zone....lemme look...

ETA: Not Twilight Zone:

Trilogy of Terror

"Amelia"
[edit] Production notes

"Amelia" was filmed as a one woman play, with Karen Black as the only actor. It was also the only film of three to be adapted by its author, Richard Matheson, who based "Amelia" on his short story, "Prey", published six-years earlier in Playboy Magazine.
[edit] Synopsis

Amelia lives alone in a high-rise apartment building. She returns home after shopping with a package. Inside is a Zuni fetish doll, crafted in the form of a misshapen aboriginal warrior equipped with razor sharp teeth and a spear. A scroll comes with the doll, claiming that the doll contains the actual spirit of a Zuni hunter named "He Who Kills", and that the gold chain adorning the doll keeps the spirit trapped within. As Amelia makes a call to her mother we learn that she suffers from her mother's overbearing behavior. Amelia struggles to justify her independence and attempts to cancel their plans for the evening because she has a date. The moment Amelia leaves the room, the Zuni doll's golden chain falls off without her knowing.

Later, Amelia is preparing dinner, using a carving knife. She enters the darkened living room, and realizes the doll is not on the coffee table. A noise is heard in the kitchen and when investigated, the knife is missing. Returning to the living room, she is suddenly attacked by the doll, which stabs at her ankles viciously. She attempts to flee, but the doll chases her around the house. In the bathroom, Amelia envelopes the doll in a towel and attempts futilely to drown it in the bathtub. She later traps it in a suitcase, but accidentally releases it when she opens the case to make sure the doll is dead and still inside. After several more vicious attacks, Amelia manages to hurl it into the oven and listens to it howling and screaming as it catches fire. Soon the screams die down and eventually stop. She opens the oven to ensure that the doll is "dead', and is suddenly overcome.

We hear her (but do not see her face) as she places another call to her mother. She apologizes for behavior during the previous call, and invites her mother to dinner. She then rips the bolt from her front door and crouches down low in an animalistic manner, hiding in the corner with a carving knife. She stabs at the floor with the weapon, grinning ferally and revealing the horrific teeth of the Zuni doll.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Trilogy of Terror.  1975 starring Karen Black.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:33:53 PM EDT
[#7]
brady bunch when they came back with the cursed tiki doll?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Aye, 3rd part, yes?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yup, this is it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I still have nightmares about that movie
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:35:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Bingo!!!
Well, on the Matheson part anyway...
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:35:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Trilogy Of Terror.  Three shorts.  Karen Black was the woman in that short.  That was a scary mother back then.

eta I guess I should read the whole danged thing before posting.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aye, 3rd part, yes?

That's it.  Matheson wrote it, too.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:38:22 PM EDT
[#15]

The Hive Knows All

I'm impressed.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Huh.

That tv movie was actually a failed pilot for a Night Gallery type program.

Never knew that...

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The Hive Knows All

I'm impressed.

You don't forget shit like that man. I was afraid that little dude was under my bed for weeks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Man, I was 8 when I saw that and didn't sleep for weeks.  I kept thinking that mutha was under my bed.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:42:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Has that idea with the statue ever been redone?

I seem to remember another show VERY like that.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Has that idea with the statue ever been redone?

I seem to remember another show VERY like that.

You must be thinking of the Obama presidency.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Holy crap! That's it!  The hive mind works!  

"The one with the doll"

I could've sworn it was older than 1975, because we moved in '74 and I thought we were still living in the first house when I saw it.  I guess memory fades a bit after 35 years.  

Thanks guys.

ETA:  Karen Black, the hottie of the time.    She's probably why my old man was watching it.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I remember when I first got the "I am Legend" book years ago, I thought the titular story encompassed the entire book. When it started very suddenly talking about characters at a fairground in the south and an animated doll, my face was all "WTF"

How I read straight through the ending of a story and did not realize it is beyond me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#23]
You guys are goooooood.....
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Hive Knows All

I'm impressed.

You don't forget shit like that man. I was afraid that little dude was under my bed for weeks.

Nice to know I'm not the only one still haunted by the Zuni Fetish Doll.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Also the inspiration for the Brady Bunch special episode in Hawaii
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I just finished watching the whole thing.  As scary as is was 35 years ago, it's frickin' hilarious now!  I especially liked him sawing through the suitcase.  

Now I can remember my dad laughing at it too.  If this movie scared you as a kid, watch it now.  You won't be scared anymore!

Really the scariest part is the sound he makes.  More like creepy.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#28]
The Youtube comments are pretty good too.

"Cool. A Ronnie James Dio action figure!"  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top