Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2010 10:18:59 AM EDT
Stripped a scope ring screw (ripped the head off) over torquing.  Is drilling the best way to remove it, and if so what kind of bit to use?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:21:20 AM EDT
[#1]
use a small centerdrill to start a hole then hit it with a little larger bit. insert eazy out, back out busted piece and there ya have it..

you can always hit it with a soldering iron for a bit to break up teh loctite if you have applied any..
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:22:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

use a small centerdrill to start a hole then hit it with a little larger bit. insert eazy out, back out busted piece and there ya have it..

you can always hit it with a soldering iron for a bit to break up teh loctite if you have applied any..

I've never drilled metal, esp. hard screw metal...what kind of bits do I use?  also...what is eazy out?

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:25:12 AM EDT
[#4]
If there isn't anything protruding to grab try using a scribe or o-ring pick to see if you can rotate it out. If it's stuck tight, then drilling it out will be the best option. Mind you, this should be done in a mill or a drill press with the part held in a vise. It's not something you want to do by hand.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:25:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never drilled metal, esp. hard screw metal...what kind of bits do I use?  also...what is eazy out?

ok if thats the case.. take it to a gunsmith..
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:26:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Uhh, given that bit of info it would best for you to find someone qualified to do it for you.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just drill it so the head of the screw is gone.  Then, remove the ring cap and you should be able to access the broken end of screw with a pliers.

This is what I'd do.

You could also try using a dremel cut-off wheel to put a notch in the top of the screw, and use a flat-head screwdriver to back it out.  However, the potential buggering things up is much higher with the Dremel.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I wasn't clear...i ripped the head of the screw off, so just the stem is remaining in the socket, and it is below flush with the top of the hole.  There isn't anything to grab.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just drill it so the head of the screw is gone.  Then, remove the ring cap and you should be able to access the broken end of screw with a pliers.

This is what I'd do.

You could also try using a dremel cut-off wheel to put a notch in the top of the screw, and use a flat-head screwdriver to back it out.  However, the potential buggering things up is much higher with the Dremel.

You guys beat me to it. If you do dremel, cover the receiver with a few layers of electrical tape just in case. It will protect from a slip, but not a full scale screw up
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#10]
If the rings arent expensive - it will cost more in tools, bloddy fingers, gunsmith fees, and end up with a damaged ring..... than just to replace them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:15:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If the rings arent expensive - it will cost more in tools, bloddy fingers, gunsmith fees, and end up with a damaged ring..... than just to replace them.

Les Baer high rise ring...I'd rather have a go at it than buy a new one.  I don't have a drill press, so I need a gameplan with

hand tools.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#12]
You aren't going to be successful. Sorry. Drilling out a busted screw is tricky for someone who knows what they are doing.

Get someone to do it for you.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:20:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Les Baer high rise ring...I'd rather have a go at it than buy a new one.  I don't have a drill press, so I need a gameplan with
hand tools.

CAREFULLY use the dremel option, or use a hand file to dress down the screw head until you can pull the ring off and get at the screw with pliers.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#14]
A ring screw is too small of a diameter to have much success, without a clamped vise, drill press, and a small high speed left-handed drill bit.

You will more than likely damage the threads by using any drill or dremel by hand.  What you pray for, is the ability to run a smaller diameter left handed drill bit, in the center (this takes a lot of skill and the equipment noted above) and before you get very far - the screw post spins out.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A ring screw is too small of a diameter to have much success, without a clamped vise, drill press, and a small high speed left-handed drill bit.

You will more than likely damage the threads by using any drill or dremel by hand.  What you pray for, is the ability to run a smaller diameter left handed drill bit, in the center (this takes a lot of skill and the equipment noted above) and before you get very far - the screw post spins out.

TLDR.. take it to a smith.

I fixed it for ya..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top