Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/14/2010 10:04:40 PM EDT
Just sitting here thinking about my dad. He was the strongest man I ever knew. My dad died when I was 17. I am 27 now. No one ever talks much about him anymore. I miss hearing stories about my dad. Now its mostly me just telling storys about him to others who didnt know him.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:10:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just sitting here thinking about my dad. He was the strongest man I ever knew. My dad died when I was 17. I am 27 now. No one ever talks much about him anymore. I miss hearing stories about my dad. Now its mostly me just telling storys about him to others who didnt know him.

So, tell us some stories brother!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:11:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto. The MSN pretty much marginalizes dads, but they are really important. I miss my dad too, he died 10 years ago from a cardiac. My parents did me & my wife a great favor. My mom & dad raised 8 kids; their 5, and my 3.  Moral of the story, tell your folks you love them before it is too late.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:11:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Sorry man.

I love the time I can spend with my old man.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:20:18 PM EDT
[#4]
He tought me everything I know about hunting. I remember my first squirrel like it was yesterday. A big red squirrel. Man I remember shooting guns going fishing everything I love to do now I got from him. He used to let me stay home sick from school every once in a while and go to the gun range with him and one of his friends. My mom used to get so mad. lol.

I used to love going to the army store with him and picking out a military pin as a kid. I remember I asked for jungle boots for christmas one year. Damn I just miss him some times.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:25:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
He tought me everything I know about hunting. I remember my first squirrel like it was yesterday. A big red squirrel. Man I remember shooting guns going fishing everything I love to do now I got from him. He used to let me stay home sick from school every once in a while and go to the gun range with him and one of his friends. My mom used to get so mad. lol.

I used to love going to the army store with him and picking out a military pin as a kid. I remember I asked for jungle boots for christmas one year. Damn I just miss him some times.

These are the memories that make life worth living.  Sounds like you had a great dad and as long as you keep him around in your thoughts and continue telling these stories, he will always be there with you
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#6]
i know how you feel man my dad died when i was 11 im 25 now.  losing a parent at such a young age is shitty, still hard to talk about it or go see his grave without getting dusty
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:27:35 PM EDT
[#7]
If I had one wish it would be to have a beer with him and talk for 5 min.

edit: and no im not drinking. lol
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:30:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys. It means alot.

Man its hard when I think about all these years we could of spent together. I'm not going to lie its been damn hard without him in my life from the time I was 17 untill now. I remember he always used to watch the waltons on tv. Do you guys remember that show? Or tour of duty. He loved that show.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:33:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I hear you

2 years.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:35:20 PM EDT
[#10]
The family members that get to hear stories about your Dad are extremely lucky to have you to tell them.
 My Dads father died when my Dad was 15, I still enjoy hearing the stories. My Dad is 72 now.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:38:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you have or will have kids, teach them the same as he did you.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#12]
damn i dont know whats gotten over me. im starting to cry just thinking about it all right now. i havent got teery eyed over him in a long time.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:41:09 PM EDT
[#13]
My dad died in "92. We never got close. I see the same thing happening, though differently, with my son. Sooner or later he'll see what I see. Hopefully sooner.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:41:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I just wish my Dad would have met his grandkids. Unfortunately he died cold and homeless in a vacant lot of acute alcohol intoxication and I had no idea he was homeless. No one in my family bothered to tell me. I was 25 when he died and wish I could have taken him in.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:42:54 PM EDT
[#15]
17 is way too young to lose a parent, but at least you got a chance to know him.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:43:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I feel your pain. I'm 25. My father hasn't yet passed, but has been suffering from the effects of the treatment of his brain tumor for going on 10 years now. He hasn't been able to walk, feed himself, or even speak for many years now.

Like you, he taught me how to fish, how to work on cars, and everything in between. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have the confidence to do an oil change, much less anything else that he inspired me to do.

I miss him very much. Even though he is still here, he hasn't been here for years. I would give anything to trade places with him, for he is a much better man than I will ever be, and deserves at least that.

As the saying goes, you don't know what you've got, until it's gone...

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:43:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just wish my Dad would have met his grandkids. Unfortunately he died cold and homeless in a vacant lot of acute alcohol intoxication and I had no idea he was homeless. No one in my family bothered to tell me. I was 25 when he died and wish I could have taken him in.

Sorry to hear that brother.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:51:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I feel your pain. I'm 25. My father hasn't yet passed, but has been suffering from the effects of the treatment of his brain tumor for going on 10 years now. He hasn't been able to walk, feed himself, or even speak for many years now.

Like you, he taught me how to fish, how to work on cars, and everything in between. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have the confidence to do an oil change, much less anything else that he inspired me to do.

I miss him very much. Even though he is still here, he hasn't been here for years. I would give anything to trade places with him, for he is a much better man than I will ever be, and deserves at least that.

Im really sorry man. I cant imagine the pain. I will pray for your dad and you.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:55:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks my friend, and for you I will definitely do the same. If you ever need someone to talk to, don't hesitate to drop me a line.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:57:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks my friend, and for you I will definitely do the same. If you ever need someone to talk to, don't hesitate to drop me a line.

And the same goes for you. IM me or email me anytime man. Im here.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:59:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Mine's a gone pecan too. Says your dad did something right if his son misses him. That's an important part of a good legacy for a man.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:56:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:01:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Can't say I know the exact feeling, but medical conditions have laid my dad low for the last 10 years or so.  He and I always used to do stuff together before that –– like you, he taught me to shoot, hunt, and fish.  It's a bitch now to see him basically confined to a chair at home.

Guess we can always be glad for the memories we have, and know that we had an example for the type of father to be when the time comes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:01:19 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I hear you

2 years.

3 now for me. Don't think I'll ever get over it either.
Quoted:

damn i dont know whats gotten over me. im starting to cry just thinking
about it all right now. i havent got teery eyed over him in a long time.

I'm with you on that one too. Got "full" just typing my original response above.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:12:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Hey brother, I feel for you. I was drinking a few with my Dad the other day, and he casually mentioned he didn't care to live but for another 10 to 15 years, and that hit my ass hard. He's only 51, but he is a smoker and has seen what the bitter end looks like for those folks and he has no plans on quitting. Guess he's going to go out his way or no way.

Me and him have an understanding that if things ever got too bad for either of us, there would be 'one last fishing/hunting trip' that we wouldn't come back from. But his statement got me thinking about how much I would miss him. He's become my best friend the last few years and it would fucking suck. Thoughts are with you sir. Can't imagine...
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:36:45 AM EDT
[#26]
I will tell my father how much i care for him tonight. We, sometimes, don't know how lucky we are until we read or see things. Sorry about your dads guys.. really.  

You are strong people !

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:12:52 AM EDT
[#27]
My father died many years ago.  We had always been pretty close, but as his health began to fail and it was apparent that his time was nearing, he and I spent hours upon hours  talking and laughing as we plowed over a lot of old ground from our lives together.  Mostly what I learned was that I never got away with anything of significance in my entire life.   The man knew EVERYTHING about me, but loved me still.  Incredible.

I'll hold him in my heart until the day I die.

Jane
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:16:53 AM EDT
[#28]
I lost my Dad Oct 12, 1997 @ 2:25 AM, I will forget my own birthday before I will for get that morning. God I miss him.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:25:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Although my dad is alive our relationship died many years ago. I wish I could have had those good memories of my father. My father is an asshole of the highest caliber. I have a similar but different void.

When I heard he was in the hospital I tried to contact him through a family member to see if I could visit. His response was "I don't think I would get anything out of it". I tried to be the bigger man and suck it up to make amends but he is still the asshole he always was. I know you miss your dad but be glad for what you did have, it could be worse.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:30:09 AM EDT
[#30]
My Father past on May 14,2001.A few months later 9/11.Then a year and a couple months later I finally got married.It was sad not having him present.My brother-in-law gave a pretty incredible speech honoring his grandfather and my father.I still miss him.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:34:00 AM EDT
[#31]
My Dad passed 4 years ago.  I think about him every day and wish he could have met his third grandson.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:35:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:38:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Dad gone since March 2nd.  Think about him quite often.  Sometimes when I am alone I can hear myself whisper "love you dad"
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:46:45 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

My Dad passed 4 years ago.  I think about him every day and wish he could have met his third first grandson.

My Dad started having major health problems in 1995, and I thought I was going to lose him right then and there.  During surgery I went out and sat on a bench outside the hospital and prayed that the Lord would give me 10 more years with him.

He gave me 11 years instead.  Thank you Lord for that time I got to spend with him.

I miss you Dad.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:56:07 AM EDT
[#35]
I lost my dad back in Jan 2003 (Cancer), he was 73 and I 42.  No doubt THE hardest thing I have ever had to deal with.  But... I was one of the luckey ones to have had the joy of being raised by a man you would proudly call DAD.

I know how you feel... I miss my dad too.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:32:22 AM EDT
[#36]
I lost my dad back in '99, heart and circulatory problems brought on by a lifetime of smoking.

He had his first heart attack back in 1980.  I was home for the weekend and he complained of indigestion after lunch on Sat.  The next day, same story , so I made him call his doctor who we met at the doctors office  for a quick exam.  Took him to the hospital for more tests and observation which confirmed my observations.

He was supposed to stop smoking but could not.  He had started pre teen  picking up cigarette butts, back in the mid 1920's.

I finally saw his legs the last yeaar when we went to the hospital for some more problems.  They were like toothpicks, the result of arterial clogging.  They could not go in through the groin for stent placement, but had to go in through the arm which is more difficult.  One of his kidneys had also shut down due again to arterial clogging..  He could not walk much over 60-70 feet without leg cramping at that point.   The stents got him another 6 months of life, really a pretty good quality.  My mom passed away 11 months later.

It's been 11 and 10 years now and I miss and think about both each day.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:36:42 AM EDT
[#37]
My dad is having some very serious heart problems of late, and this thread made the room real dusty
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#38]
My Dad died when I was 12. I am now over 50. The older I get, the more I miss him and the more I realize how much I've missed from not having him around. My Mom did the best she could for me and my sisters. But I know that I missed all the knowledge a boy gets from his Dad, the time together doing guy stuff, the advice and knowledge that comes from a man's perspective.
I know my life would have been quite different had he survived.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:06:01 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

My dad is having some very serious heart problems of late, and this thread made the room real dusty

I had the dreaded "luxury" of seeing it coming too via cancer. All I can say is talk to your Dad now more than ever. Even the sappy stuff two men would never say to each other in normal times. Those heart to heart conversations we had the last couple months are what get me by now. And you will look back on them the same way.  

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:07:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Old Man Evil passed just a few years ago.

It gets easier over time but the "empty" feeling never quite goes away.

Just remember the good times and pass on what he taught you, bro.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#41]
I feel your pain brother, but this isnt a thread about my dad.  I want to hear a story about your dad M60forever.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:11:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I hope you get to spend time with him,  I was lucky and my dad was my best friend and I've always lived close.

Lost him 36 days ago and a day hasn't gone by without me thinking of him.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I feel your pain brother, but this isnt a thread about my dad.  I want to hear a story about your dad M60forever.

One time my dad took a group of kids from church fishing at a game & fish club we used to belong. He spent all his time running around helping them with their poles, hooks etc. Finally nearing the end of the day he comes back to his pole and has a 8pound cat on it. lol I remember that like it was yesterday. lol
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#44]
lost my Dad last month.  It doesnt get any easier as time goes on, like most people say.  I dream about him damn near every night.  Lots of memories.  Thank God my kids had a chance to spend time with him.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

My dad's real sick as well...

It probably won't be long.

I'm a fucking grown man... and I still don't know what the hell I'm gonna do without him.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Makes me want to go hug my whole family...
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#47]
my dad has been gone since July 04, 2007. it still sucks today
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#48]
I miss my Dad too. I live on the memories. It`s the only solution I`ve found.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#49]
I was 23 when my Dad died, I know how it feels to wander around life with no one to really talk to. Hang in there man.

I think of my youngest son everyday and how long I will be here for him.

I was sitting up late last night thinking about how much I miss him and how sickened he would be if he saw this country now.

I feel everyday like I have let him down.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#50]
You know, I have really begun to believe that strong men, real men are not long for this world as this world no longer wants them.

I really, really miss my Dad, all the time. I hope I see him again someday.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top